Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default wax bullets for backyard practice?

hey guys...really want to start working on my cowboy fast draw SAFELY....i have an 1860 colt replica black powder pistol with 5 1/2 inch barrel in .44 caliber....my questions are if I practice with wax bullets:

A. Would I use a small powder charge like 2-3 grains of pyrodex or just the percussion cap? although i dont know if external caps have enough push

B. Would this be too dangerous for a backyard with a wooden stopper? The back stop would be about an inch of plywood with a huge concrete wall behind it. I just don't really know how lethal or damaging wax bullets could be...don't think not at all but want to be safe then sorry

thanks in advance guys

(Northampton County)

Default Re: wax bullets for backyard practice?

Buy the 45 caliber rubber bullets. I think Midway has them.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glockman View Post
    Buy the 45 caliber rubber bullets. I think Midway has them.
    thanks for that...how would i load the bullet...i feel if i use the loading lever on my bp revolver the wax will squish...do i just place it in with my fingers?

(Delaware County)

Cream of Wheat between 2 cardboard wads. Rubber bullets will bounce back.

I'd make absolutely certain of the local laws. I cannot picture Brookhaven allowing the discharge of firearms in residential areas. I also doubt that the laws would differentiate between wax/cream of wheat and lead ball.

ETA: Both wax and rubber bullets or even cream of wheat can cause serious injury at close range. Do not shoot at anything you aren't willing to destroy.
    Last edited by imashooter2; June 1st, 2010 at 08:05 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Cream of Wheat between 2 cardboard wads. Rubber bullets will bounce back.

I'd make absolutely certain of the local laws. I cannot picture Brookhaven allowing the discharge of firearms in residential areas. I also doubt that the laws would differentiate between wax/cream of wheat and lead ball.

ETA: Both wax and rubber bullets or even cream of wheat can cause serious injury at close range. Do not shoot at anything you aren't willing to destroy.
    thanks for the info....where i live in brookhaven i have woods in my back yard and about an acre of property....i asked a friend of mine who is a officer in aston and they said as long as it is equal or lesser than a pellet gun it is fine....not sure how to find that out tho

(Delaware County)

I'd know the law. The letter of the law. Do not depend on the interpretation of same by the responding officers or what your buddy told you. Have a copy of the ordinance available to prove your position. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for a very bad day at the least.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I'd know the law. The letter of the law. Do not depend on the interpretation of same by the responding officers or what your buddy told you. Have a copy of the ordinance available to prove your position. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for a very bad day at the least.
    alright, thanks for the info

(Montgomery County)

Never really thought about trying it in a BP gun, but I've shot wax through almost everything else I have. Never used any powder, just primer and a cardboard wad, but they worked pretty good at about 20 ft(longest I tried at)

Wax bullets from real guns could easily take out an eye, or break skin about as good as a paintball or some airsoft guns at close range, so safety still comes first.

Check your local laws before going ahead with it.

The plywood backstop should be plenty, I was shooting at heavy cardboard and not making any holes, just dents. I'd suggest trying it at a range first to get a feel for the noise and penetration before proceeding at home, but definitely check your local laws first.

Another thought, if you want to practice your quick draw with some bang, maybe try to find some of those plastic ring caps. I know the rings are too small, but the individual caps might fit on the nipples if they were cut apart.