Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Still More Bad Press For The M-4

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...s-afghanistan/

The AK-47 is quickly gaining the upper hand.

"Scales said the M4 is “unsuitable” for Afghan terrain and “notoriously unreliable” in the first place."

Fun to play action army at the range with though! Bill T.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Still More Bad Press For The M-4

WTF...

"The M4 is an updated version of the M16, which was designed for close quarters combat in Vietnam. But while the weapon is better suited for the kind of urban warfare common in Iraq, some have questioned whether it is deadly and accurate for Afghanistan – where U.S. troops often find themselves in long-range combat."

Did we not have like an 8-page thread about a month ago re: long-distance, rock-busting, tree-splitting 30-cal battle rifles in lieu of poodle-shooters???

Or at least 20" barreled M16 versions ??
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Monroe County)

You gotta use the right tool for the job, and over in Afghaniland the full length M16 or preferably the M14 would work better than the M4.

(Philadelphia County)

The article refers to the "7.62" round but is clearly referencing BOTH the 7.62x39 and the 7.62x54r.

It's not like anyone with half a brain is going to argue the superiority of 7.62x39 at ranges past 300 yards. Also, 2500 feet is 800+ yds which isn't really the business of anything besides dedicated sniper rifles (and heavy artillery). Yeah, uou could equip all soldiers with .300wm sniper rifles - then watch the get lit up during short distance engagements.

Dumb.

When i was over there, our F88's (styer aug 5.56) couldn't punch thru long distance cover and the bastards knew it too.

They'd get perched on high ground with there RPK's, RPD's and PK's, then open up on us but the tali in Oruzgan wernt to smart and they'd fall short about 100m. So we would just adjust and let em have it with our MAG-58's 7.62x51mm. Then they'd run and leave their shit behind for us to lug back.

Towards the end of my deployment we'd be fitted out more MAG-58's and ammo, weigh a ton but it did the job.

There was talk of some of the boys wanted to buy SLR's (FAL7.62x51mm ) from the P.M.C's....but got told its not S.O.P, your weapon system is good and maybe you should harden the fuck up

Give the fighting man what he needs to get the job done.......
    Last edited by afrattner; May 31st, 2010 at 11:45 PM.

(Monroe County)

Every time I see one of these articles I have to ask myself the question. Who has stock in what replacement weapon that they are pushing? We have what we have to fight with and no ammount of posturing is going to change anything in the short term.
    Currently we have the M-4 and a few stop gap weapons to ffset the shortcomings of the M-4. Maybe down the line someone with better common sense will select a weapon that can achieve the goal in a wide variety of combat theaters but after 32 years of serving I have yet to see that. Until or if that ever happens you use the weapons you have to kill the enemy period.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by afrattner View Post
    When i was over there, our F88's (styer aug 5.56) couldn't punch thru long distance cover and the bastards knew it too.

They'd get perched on high ground with there RPK's, RPD's and PK's, then open up on us but the tali in Oruzgan wernt to smart and they'd fall short about 100m. So we would just adjust and let em have it with our MAG-58's 7.62x51mm. Then they'd run and leave their shit behind for us to lug back.

Towards the end of my deployment we'd be fitted out more MAG-58's and ammo, weigh a ton but it did the job.

There was talk of some of the boys wanted to buy SLR's (FAL7.62x51mm ) from the P.M.C's....but got told its not S.O.P, your weapon system is good and maybe you should harden the fuck up

Give the fighting man what he needs to get the job done.......

if a Styer AUG came in 7.62X39, id buy one in a heartbeat. amazing guns

Quote Originally Posted by XACEX View Post
    if a Styer AUG came in 7.62X39, id buy one in a heartbeat. amazing guns
    best of both worlds...

But i think you guys already have a great battle rifle, the SR-25.

When i did cross training with you guys i swaped my F88A2 for a SR-25 i think and it kicks ass. its the 7.62Nato on the AR platform, like shooting kill bricks

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by afrattner View Post
    best of both worlds...

But i think you guys already have a great battle rifle, the SR-25.

When i did cross training with you guys i swaped my F88A2 for a SR-25 i think and it kicks ass. its the 7.62Nato on the AR platform, like shooting kill bricks

(Excuse my language) Fuck yes. I wish I could afford to buy one. They are great weapons. Unfortunately I don't have 5 or so grand lying around. If I did I'd probably buy 4 or 5 1911s anyway...
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    Until or if that ever happens you use the weapons you have to kill the enemy period.
    I agree, but there in lies the problem. The M-4 is not killing the enemy, period. It appears yet again, and this is and old story, the AK-47 is doing a better job. Bill T.

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast