Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Do I need a current Driver License

Do I need a current Driver License to purchase a Handgun. Just moved still live in the same county but have not changed my license yet. Can I fill out the paperwork and put a different addresse then my license has on it? Thanks for your help.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Do I need a current Driver License

IIRC you would need to have the change of address issued by Penndot at a minimum. Its been quite a while since I've moved anywhere but that was the way it was when I did. Once I had the official card from Penndot there was no issue.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Erie County)

Your required to update your license with PennDOT within 15? days of your move anyways so.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks guys for the help. I just changed my addresse online and they have something to print out. So I should be good to go with this. Thanks for the quick responses.
    GK

why not just go get a new license before hitting the gun shop, you need to soon enough anyways why make it complicated

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    why not just go get a new license before hitting the gun shop, you need to soon enough anyways why make it complicated
    I will be moving again in 2 months so I was going to wait.

(Centre County)

When the FFL does the PICS the replies from the automated system are the DL #, name, and birth date which FFL confirms. The address that is put on the forms should be your new address and if you have the change of address form that will verify where you now live. I've had operators come on line and ask several questions but they have never asked for the buyers current address. As an FFL it is our responsibility to insure the address on the forms matches the DL address (or the change of address form).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    When the FFL does the PICS the replies from the automated system are the DL #, name, and birth date which FFL confirms. The address that is put on the forms should be your new address and if you have the change of address form that will verify where you now live. I've had operators come on line and ask several questions but they have never asked for the buyers current address. As an FFL it is our responsibility to insure the address on the forms matches the DL address (or the change of address form).

I recently moved, and into a different county. I went online to PA's DOT website and changed my address online. It was free to do this. I printed out the confirmation that they provided. Within 2 weeks I received the actual address change confirmation. I need to carry this with my driver's license all the time. If you want a new license, you need to goto the photo center and pay $10 for a new one with your current address.

As for buying a handgun, you do not have to have a dirver's license with the current address. I just bought one last week or so. I put my current address on all the forms, but Xringshooter (who did the transfer) did not need to see my change of address form. Everything went smoothly with no problems.

Just get your address changed online and you should be fine. But there should not be any problems with buying a handgun.

(Lehigh County)

I just changed it online and got the confermation to print. Also I was at cabellas and they told me the same thing. Just need change of addresse card along with license. Thanks for the help it is appreciated.