Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 7.62x39,5.45x39,.223

go here to see the meetup info, also will tell you the gun show info:
    http://ronpaul.meetup.com/723/

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckmulligan23 View Post
    I will find out the whats and wheres and whens of it, I sent an e-mail just now and will post here when I find out.
    Have you shot the saiga yet? I was thinking of getting one in the .308.
    I dont know if you are familiar with shooting the 7.62x39 round, if you buy the cheapest crap you can find (wolf) just know that it has that red sealant crap on it that will drip all over the indies of your gun. It is filthy, be prepared to do some CLEANING!!! I dont know how the saiga does, but I know it is based on the ak so it should work great with the dirtiest cheapest crap you stick in it.
    Thanks for the gun show link, can't make it though as its some 300 miles away. I have not yet taken delivery of the 7.62 saiga yet. So no, have not shot it yet. I will probably post a range report on it. I actually found other ammo cheaper than wolf if you can believe. Check AIM for that.
    Last edited by Jackal; October 16th, 2007 at 11:30 AM.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

If your looking for a good ak-47 see atlanticfirearms.com He has some nice russian stuff and a few others. Hes alittle over priced but where else are you going to find completely russian except nfa required parts. Arsenal is pretty good Im told never actually shot one though. However if you want an ak-74 you can get one from ohiorapidfire. Just go to ohiorapidfire.com. I have shot one of them and they are fantastic. Probably the best American made reciever with bulgarian parts kit there is.

As far as ak ammo goes. If your like using brass PRVI PARTIZAN is my fav. Its been relatively cheap (about $350 for 1440rnds). There is also others like Igman, but there has been talk of it being corrosive. I wrote the manufacturer, they claimed it wasnt. So who knows for sure, Id have to find the tests on it.
    Golden Tiger is good stuff as well. Wouldnt suggest it in american made barrels, only because its dirty and causes them to rust rather quickly. But the wolf polymer coated steel cased is good too. Shot both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.5.

LG

(Allegheny County)

Just as a warning there was some PRVI PARTIZAN soft point 7.62x39 on sale I bought. I figured hey brass case on sale, not too much cleanup, cool. But the exposed lead of the soft point catches when it tries to load and jams every 2nd or third round. Now I have to figure out what to do with the other 80 rounds I have left. It may feed better in your saiga then it did in my ak.
    Last edited by Shawn.L; October 22nd, 2007 at 09:01 AM.

(Chester County)

Just as a warning there was some PRVI PARTIZAN soft point 7.62x39 on sale I bought. I figured hey brass case on sale, not too much cleanup, cool. But the exposed lead of the soft point catches when it tries to load and jams every 2nd or third round. Now I have to figure out what to do with the other 80 rounds I have left. It may feed better in your saiga then it did in my ak.
    Curious. Do you have a feedramp installed? I'm not sure if thats common on the variants. It did not come on my saiga.

I have shot it finally, btw, and it is a very nice gun. Another guy at the range said it was much smoother than his romanian ak47. Smooth, but not without flaw. The front site is canted and looks like its going to ned some smithing.

I'll take that ammo for cash or trade if thats what you are offering.

Quote Originally Posted by neinlg
    Golden Tiger is good stuff as well. Wouldnt suggest it in american made barrels, only because its dirty and causes them to rust rather quickly.
    I use golden tiger. How would it cause the barrel to rust, its not corrosive? My barrel is Russian and is chromed lined, i believe some american made barrels are as well.
    Last edited by Jackal; October 22nd, 2007 at 10:19 AM.

(Allegheny County)

No feed ramp. I would not want to sell it to you and have you have the same problems I had. I am going to try to return it to midway. Also, some of the price on the ammo people have suggested here are very good, but whwn you look at those sites you must remember to then add on shipping, as much as $30 from some. If you go to http://www.ammoman.com/ he has some great price with shipping included in the price. Golden Tiger 1000 rounds for $189 to your door. Just dont buy it all up, I have to wait till I get paid to make an order. Alos, if there is a duhnams by you they have wolf on sale for 3.99 until the end of today only. Good price if you just want to pick up a few boxs.

(Chester County)

No feed ramp. I would not want to sell it to you and have you have the same problems I had. I am going to try to return it to midway. Also, some of the price on the ammo people have suggested here are very good, but whwn you look at those sites you must remember to then add on shipping, as much as $30 from some. If you go to http://www.ammoman.com/ he has some great price with shipping included in the price. Golden Tiger 1000 rounds for $189 to your door. Just dont buy it all up, I have to wait till I get paid to make an order. Alos, if there is a duhnams by you they have wolf on sale for 3.99 until the end of today only. Good price if you just want to pick up a few boxs.
    I will probably do a feedramp mod, so if they dont take back your ammo I will buy it or trade you for it.

I used aim and got some tiger ammo. Would hate to have an ak without ammo.

(Allegheny County)

How do you do a feedramp mod? What are the advantages?

I use golden tiger. How would it cause the barrel to rust, its not corrosive? My barrel is Russian and is chromed lined, i believe some american made barrels are as well.[/QUOTE]

The barrel that rusted was the M70 Yugo with the american made barrel on it. The russian is chrome line. Never actually had a problem with it. (Most of my gun related problems have been with CAI stuff.) I guess Im just odd, I wont put steel ammo through the russian rifle. I use 100% brass with it. I talked to my dealer about the rusty barrel with the steel stuff. He basically said it was either mildly corrosive or just dirty stuff. Cant say for sure, but I wouldnt suggest using it in a US made barrel unless your going to clean it right after shooting.

(Chester County)

How do you do a feedramp mod? What are the advantages?
    Not sure of the advantages, maybe someone with more ak experience can chime in here.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/index.html That guy makes them for Saigas, and could probably make them for other models. They are also easily bought elswhere and it doesnt look like it would be impossible to make yourself.

neinlg:
    I have not heard anything bad about steel case besides its poor quality for reloading. And with the price of brass 7.62 and its availability, I will take steel. Tiger is laquer coated anyhow.

EDIT: I found out a site to make a feedramp out of standard steel piping. Youwould need a dremel or saw, a tap, and a drill. PM me if you want it Buck.
    Last edited by Jackal; October 25th, 2007 at 03:51 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast