Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Re: 7.62x39,5.45x39,.223

He is trying to say that the 7.62x39 magazines are everywhere. While the 5.45x39 magazines are harder to find, aren't as well made, and not laying around everywhere.

My Opinion. Go with the 7.62x39. Every time I walk into a gun shop. I can find ammo and magazines for this weapon. They are everywhere. Then just start buying them up and get yourself a nice supply of ammo and magazines for the day the Zombies show up.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    5.45mmx39 surplus ammunition is readily available if you know where to look. A quick Google search (results) yielded numerous sources.

The key here is "If you know where to look". You don't have to look for 7.62x39. It just seems to be everywhere.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Chester County)

How does one know if you are getting m43 or m67 ammo in 7.62x39? Has m43 been phased out? Also is hollow point a good or bad idea. Without starting a new thread, where have people been able to find 7.62x39 non-corrosive ammo for between 10 and 15 cents a round?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jh664322 View Post
    How does one know if you are getting m43 or m67 ammo in 7.62x39? Has m43 been phased out? Also is hollow point a good or bad idea. Without starting a new thread, where have people been able to find 7.62x39 non-corrosive ammo for between 10 and 15 cents a round?

Build a Time machine.
    Check the classifieds for a pre-owned DeLorean and I'll see if I still have that Flux Capacitor in my workshop.

Seriously, that's about what it was last year. By buying 7.62x39 by the case, I was able to get it for $3.33 a box (20rds./box)
    At the time, Wolf was about that price at Dunham's when they had a really good sale.(Reg. price was about $4.99/box)but you still had to pay tax.

I just bought a few boxes of it at Dunham's and it's reg price is now $6.99.

Buying online, and buying by the case is the best bet for low prices.

Try here.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_7_62x39.html
    I couldn't find anyone cheaper when I ordered. (that may no longer hold true, but I thought I'd try and help.)
    The case prices are $10 more than they were last year, by the way.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Build a Time machine.
    Check the classifieds for a pre-owned DeLorean and I'll see if I still have that Flux Capacitor in my workshop.

Seriously, that's about what it was last year. By buying 7.62x39 by the case, I was able to get it for $3.33 a box (20rds./box)
    At the time, Wolf was about that price at Dunham's when they had a really good sale.(Reg. price was about $4.99/box)but you still had to pay tax.

I just bought a few boxes of it at Dunham's and it's reg price is now $6.99.

Buying online, and buying by the case is the best bet for low prices.

Try here.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_7_62x39.html
    I couldn't find anyone cheaper when I ordered. (that may no longer hold true, but I thought I'd try and help.)
    The case prices are $10 more than they were last year, by the way.
    Guess I'll look around my house for crap to sell till I get 200 bucks.

(Allegheny County)

You can get a cheap AK for $300 or sometimes less! But you can have much better quality for not much more, a nice AK is still way under the low end of the AR. I love my AK, I got a YUGO M70 underfolder for $485 out the door at the last gun show in harmarville.
    When you go to buy one there are few things you should look for. Place it on the ground pointing up (UNLOADED OF COURSE) and look down the barrel at the sights to see if they are canted (BAD). Look at the trigger and see if there are two slots above the trigger (good), if there is only one slot you may wind up getting what is usually refered to as "trigger slap". Put the mag in and shake it to make sure it is not too loose, a little play is ok.
    With the AK the cheap ones are REALLY CHEAP, but the more moderatly priced ones can be a much better value.
    I like the 7.62x39 round, its what the AK was designed for and its a great round for what a bullet needs to do. The .223 is good for longer range accurate shots, not what the AK is designed for. If you are facing an enemy in the brush, or in a urban setting where you may need to shoot through a wall or a tree or a cinderblock in a rush shooting many rounds use the 7.62, if you think it is more likely that you will be able to pick shots at a distance use the .223, but get an AR for it.
    PS. I see you have a Ron Paul icon, there is a gun show coming up in washington county in november, I think, where there should be a Ron Paul table set up thanks to the washington county meetup group there. Take cash and you can make a deal.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckmulligan23 View Post
    You can get a cheap AK for $300 or sometimes less! But you can have much better quality for not much more, a nice AK is still way under the low end of the AR. I love my AK, I got a YUGO M70 underfolder for $485 out the door at the last gun show in harmarville.
    When you go to buy one there are few things you should look for. Place it on the ground pointing up (UNLOADED OF COURSE) and look down the barrel at the sights to see if they are canted (BAD). Look at the trigger and see if there are two slots above the trigger (good), if there is only one slot you may wind up getting what is usually refered to as "trigger slap". Put the mag in and shake it to make sure it is not too loose, a little play is ok.
    With the AK the cheap ones are REALLY CHEAP, but the more moderatly priced ones can be a much better value.
    I like the 7.62x39 round, its what the AK was designed for and its a great round for what a bullet needs to do. The .223 is good for longer range accurate shots, not what the AK is designed for. If you are facing an enemy in the brush, or in a urban setting where you may need to shoot through a wall or a tree or a cinderblock in a rush shooting many rounds use the 7.62, if you think it is more likely that you will be able to pick shots at a distance use the .223, but get an AR for it.
    PS. I see you have a Ron Paul icon, there is a gun show coming up in washington county in november, I think, where there should be a Ron Paul table set up thanks to the washington county meetup group there. Take cash and you can make a deal.
    Ultimately went with a saiga in 7.62. Do you have a link to that gun show?
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Allegheny County)

5.45mm is readily available and will be for some time to come. Russia and Romania are still using this caliber, and there are billions of rounds of surplus.

5.45mm bakelite and polymer magazines are some of the least expensive and most reliable magazines available.

The 5.45mm round is not "devastating" against human targets, it pretty much acts like a conventional non-fragmenting FMJ.

A good AK will cost you between $500 - $600. You may get a good WASR for $350, but you are rolling the dice.

(Allegheny County)

I will find out the whats and wheres and whens of it, I sent an e-mail just now and will post here when I find out.
    Have you shot the saiga yet? I was thinking of getting one in the .308.
    I dont know if you are familiar with shooting the 7.62x39 round, if you buy the cheapest crap you can find (wolf) just know that it has that red sealant crap on it that will drip all over the indies of your gun. It is filthy, be prepared to do some CLEANING!!! I dont know how the saiga does, but I know it is based on the ak so it should work great with the dirtiest cheapest crap you stick in it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast