Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: jfg

(Lebanon County)

Default jfg

is the 25yrd lane closed?
    the large pile of crap in front of it sure makes it look like it is.
    either way i'm not using it...one errant shot could make for a bad time.

the 50y i'm guessing is open?
    it seems off to the side enough, or close enough any way.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: jfg

The guy who paved the driveway had some asphalt chunks to get rid of. They make decent fill for the berms. What possessed him to dump in front of the berm, I have no idea. It seems funny to me, that the person who made the biggest stink about shooting steel is stacking the chunks like bricks on the front side. Any how, Ben is getting a loader to move the stuff.

(Lebanon County)

Thanks nijwnfi, I was going to start making phone calls but you saved me the trouble by posting here. Fr0sty called me yesterday to ask about this very same thing. I guess I'll be making a trip out there Tuesday morning to see what it looks like. I'm sure I remember seeing somewhere that broken up asphalt is recommended by someone as good filler for backstops/berms but I don't remember any details about it. I'd think that the size of the pieces would be a factor, as well as placement and cover material.
    If anyone happens to know anything about using asphalt for such things please feel free to chime in with your knowledge or links to references on the subject.
    I just did a quick search and didn't find much other than it is acceptable core material for a berm and should be covered with an appropriate amount of dirt. It didn't say how much dirt or anything else that seemed like useful information.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lebanon County)

I knew from talking to John that it was there, but when I saw it first hand I called mauser in hopes of finding out some more info.

I would think asphalt deep in the berm wouldn't be a problem, as there would be enough dirt to slow and catch the projectile deep within the berm. IDK, but something still feels wrong about shooting it on the face of the berm.

(Lebanon County)

Mauser,

Did you get a chance to stop by and check out the asphalt?

(Lebanon County)

I posted this on the club web site discussion forum too:

I had a chance to gout and look at it yesterday morning and I'm not pleased with what I saw. The surfaces are hard as a rock but the "insides" are soft and pliable, I was able to break some apart with my fingers. Our monthly meeting is this Sunday, June 6, at 7:30, I'll be asking about it and I'm sure I won't be the only one. Maybe someone has a good plan for it or maybe we need some discussion to come up with a good plan, either way I'm sure the topic will be addressed and we will reach some sort of agreement or plan that will be acceptable. Some things seem to get done fairly quickly around here and I'm sure that this will be one of them.

I'm encouraging everyone who has an opinion on this issue to make it a special point to attend this meeting. I know some of you are regulars at the meetings anyhow and others may have opinions about this or other things, please come to the meeting and make your thoughts known.

The doors are open by 7:00, sometimes a little earlier, come out early to socialize a little while before the meeting starts, sometimes that's when good ideas come up, in the more informal atmosphere before and after the meetings.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I'm encouraging everyone who has an opinion on this issue to make it a special point to attend this meeting. I know some of you are regulars at the meetings anyhow and others may have opinions about this or other things, please come to the meeting and make your thoughts known.

The doors are open by 7:00, sometimes a little earlier, come out early to socialize a little while before the meeting starts, sometimes that's when good ideas come up, in the more informal atmosphere before and after the meetings.
    I'm gonna be in KY on Sunday, was gonna send you a email about this, hopefully it will be taken care of quickly... pretty dangerous on the 25y range IMHO.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%