Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Handgun Transfer

I recently tried selling a handgun to a friend and the gun dealer stated that he was unable at the time to do a transfer between seller and buyer. Is this a recent law or is the dealer just not willing to do transfers unless you by from him?
    CZ75 P-01 & Colt AR-15 6920

(Berks County)

Default Re: Handgun Transfer

they should be able to do it. just have to take the gun in there so they have the serial #, most places charge 20-30 bucks to transfer a gun. my local gun shop is doing a transfer almost every time Im there.

(Berks County)

It could either be a case of a dealer who doesn't want to do transfers or it could have been while PICS was down. I rather doubt that it was the former, it would be a great way for a dealer to put himself out of business. PICS was down a few weeks ago for "upgrades" that took a few days to complete. I think that would be the probable reason.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    It could either be a case of a dealer who doesn't want to do transfers or it could have been while PICS was down. I rather doubt that it was the former, it would be a great way for a dealer to put himself out of business. PICS was down a few weeks ago for "upgrades" that took a few days to complete. I think that would be the probable reason.
    This was just last Sunday, I had the distinct feeling they just didn't want to bother doing a transfer.
    CZ75 P-01 & Colt AR-15 6920

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by PKO101 View Post
    ...is the dealer just not willing to do transfers unless you buy from him?
    I'm guessing, but this sounds right. You would think he'd want your business.

(Luzerne County)

I recently tried selling a handgun to a friend and the gun dealer stated that he was unable at the time to do a transfer between seller and buyer. Is this a recent law or is the dealer just not willing to do transfers unless you by from him?
    Interesting.
    Since transfer of ownership of handguns MUST, by PA law, go through a transfer (IE: "application/Record of Sale"form be filled out) only a couple of possibilities I can think of here.

1) PICS was down at the time. Maybe he just called and knew.... But I doubt it as he likely would have said "come back tomorrow" or some such...

2) He does not want to do pers. to pers. transfers. Why? WHo knows, there are some real idiot dealers out there.

3) He's not licensed and can't legally do transfers. Was this a "gun shop"? Which one?

4) He was out of white forms (PA application/record of sale)... See #1, I would imagine he would advise to come back another time...

Meanwhile, find another dealer or go to the sheriff's office. Unless the transfer is between spouses or parent TO child, or grandparent TO grandchild the transfer must happen per PA law for a handgun.

Good luck.

(Berks County)

This was just last Sunday, I had the distinct feeling they just didn't want to bother doing a transfer.
    Since it was just last Sunday I guess that you just had a jerk on your hands. What shop was it? You're right down the road from me and I surely don't want to deal with a shop like that.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Centre County)

Why would a dealer NOT want to do a transfer? It's an easy $20-$30 (takes about what, 10-15 min?). I do them, it's quick money and hopefully the people will remember how I took care of their needs and come back to do other business. If he couldn't be bothered doing this, what else won't he do?
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Why would a dealer NOT want to do a transfer? It's an easy $20-$30 (takes about what, 10-15 min?). I do them, it's quick money and hopefully the people will remember how I took care of their needs and come back to do other business. If he couldn't be bothered doing this, what else won't he do?
    I went to the same shop three times for a handgun transfer, on that third visit I figured out that the guy was just an @hole, always acted as if he didnt want to do the transfer, and this is a nice big place with plenty of workers standing around doing absolutely nothing, always had to wait for someone to get off their @ss to help, I figured he either didnt like me or he just didnt need my business, so I simply stopped going there, I could care less why the dealer didnt want to do a transfer, I now pay about $5.00 more at the new place but its worth it to me just to have the quality service I get there Ive noticed that sales are on top of most business owners list while service is being neglected, and not just gun dealers, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, electronics, you name it I dont own my own business but if I did I would treat every customer the same, as if they were kings! A business is about making money and keeping customers, not liking or disliking anyone you meet there
    Last edited by dragonoff; October 6th, 2007 at 07:35 PM.

(Tioga County)

Default Customers

Customer relations rule number 1: The customer is always right.

Customer relations rule number 2 : when the customer is wrong, see rule number 1

The trick is to get the customer to want what you have to offer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast