Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Ruger gp 100 or service six??

I know both are about equal in strength and reliability, gp 100 having a slight edge for strength.

Which one would you pick for fun shooting and field duty? And why or why not.

And please don't tell me to go with and make or even another Ruger model, I'm set on one of those 2. I realize either will likely need a trigger job but that isn't an issue.

Default Re: Ruger gp 100 or service six??

Really, you couldn't go wrong with either one. It just depends on what you want it for.

Personally I like the look and feel of the GP100 over the Security Six. I've been shooting the same one for over 20 years and it is my favorite revolver. It is a beast compared to the Security Six. My 4 inch GP100 weights almost a half a pound more than a 4 inch S6.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Ruger gp 100 or service six??

My favorite revolver GP100 .357, wish it was a 454 casull/45 LC.
    Solid as a rock,38.5 oz loaded, speer 357 short barell 2 1/4.

Go with the GP100......im getting one sometime next month or when the otherhalf approves it lol

(Montgomery County)

If you buy a new GP100 you will have warranty protection and a damn fine gun. I would go with a current production revolver like the GP because of the factory and aftermarket support.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Centre County)

I'm going with "how big are your hands?" If you have smallish hands, you might be more comfortable with the Service Six. It will also be a bit lighter so if you're carrying during day hiking or around the property, it's a bit less to carry. Strength wise, don't worry about it, the Six series guns are plenty strong enough for anything you want to shoot out of it. The GP series was the next generation and evolved directly from the Six series. If it were me (and I happen to own 3 Six series guns and 4 GP100's as well as a few more Ruger revolvers) if the price is real good on the Service Six I'd go with it. Later if you decide you really should have gone withthe GP, the Six won't be hard to sell and you'll probablt recoup most if not all your money.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Susquehanna County)

My choice would be the GP100 with 6" barrel. Weight doesn't bother me in fact I consider a beefy gun a plus. The extra weight helps dampen recoil.

IIRC the Service Six doesn't have adjustable sights which is OK for a service revolver if you're using the same ammo all the time. Because there is such a variety of bullet weights and loads that can be used in your GP100, adjustable sights will help you get the most in performance from the gun. Much better than trying to guess on hold-over/hold-under.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

It comes down to which one you like best. the "Six" series guns are not as heavy, very strong and have that famous heavy recoil back strap design...less felt recoil with the GP.

FWIW, any "Six" series revolver you would buy now as begun to wear in and probably hads a very good trigger - just took 25 years or so to wear it in.

mark
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

(York County)

I'd like to have one of each with a 6inch barrel. I like the looks of the security six and the current prices on them. Thread title should've said security six.

Yes you are right about the warranty with a new gp100. As far as accessories go, aside from grips and trigger springs, I really won't need anything else.

(York County)

Ok, so for this purchase, price is a large factor but not the only. I just bid on security six blued 6 inch. I'll get a GP100 in stainless with 6 inch barrel next tax refund. Unless I wotk enough overtime and put one in layaway at Buds guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast