Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Which has the best reliability/durability/function for Home Defense

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • SPAS-12

5 19.23%
  • Mossberg 500

15 57.69%
  • Maverick 88

2 7.69%
  • Other

4 15.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Post SPAS-12 vs Mossberg 500 vs Maverick 88 or Other, Pole

I have been wanting a shotgun for a while now as I was saying in my other thread. I have been offered a SPAS-12 for $725, a Mossberg Brand New for $350. Also a Maverick 88 for $285 with 2 boxes of ammo Brand New.

All prices aside though which is better as far as reliability/durability/function, keep in mind this will ONLY be a home defense weapon and take it to the range for some pratice and getting used to, but that's it.

The SPAS-12 needs a new buffer and could use some refinishing but only needs the buffer, works GREAT taken good care of and was mostly a "safe gun." Does anyone know how many rounds the SPAS-12 can hold ?

The Mossberg 500 is Brand New in the box still not put together. 18.5" barrel with sporter stock and option to install just a pistol grip. I believe it holds 6 +1 in the barrel IIRC.

The Maverick 88 is at a local dealer so no shipping or transfer fee extras. Has a 18.5" barrel and IIRC hold 8 +1 in the barrel, just a bead front sight and also has the sporter stock with pistol grip option.

I like the SPAS-12 look A LOT, and with an ATI folding stock maybe a heat shield the 500 is SWEET as well too, same with the Maverick 88.

Right now I am thinkin maybe just get 2...can't go wrong there right

Also if you choose "other" please let me know which one your referring to and why.

I really appreciate any insight and thank you in advance !
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: SPAS-12 vs Mossberg 500 vs Maverick 88 or Other, Pole

go with the mossburg.....or even Saiga 12...mag fed Kalashnikov weapon p[platform in 12 ga....they even make 30 round drums...and if that isn't enough rounds your f*cked :]
    Gott mit uns

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerh4ppy View Post
    go with the mossburg.....or even Saiga 12...mag fed Kalashnikov weapon p[platform in 12 ga....they even make 30 round drums...and if that isn't enough rounds your f*cked :]

what do you think of the SPAS-12 ?
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Lancaster County)

the maverick is the same thing as a moss burg anyways.Don't go with that spas....Sure it looks cool but then again so does a saiga 12...and those run for 450+ at the most.That leaves money for more ammo and gear :]

but for simplicity purposes the mossburg or the maverick would be good choices
    Gott mit uns

(Northumberland County)

SPAS-12 is wicked, if you have the $$$ buy it dont buy the cheap aluminum shotghuns , i used to own a Maverick 88 is was a piece of crap.

I never forget the Terminator 1 when he used the SPAS 12 and the Wraith with Charlie Sheen wiht the SPAS-12 with flashing LEDs on it when he went into the garage blew holes in all the hot rod cars.

i love the SPAS 12 but its expensive and very cool looking , perfect shotgun for HD, make the BG crap his pants when he sees you pointing the SPAS 12 at him -priceless.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post
    what do you think of the SPAS-12 ?
    the spas was awesome....In the old school rainbow six games...XD
    honestly Ive never held one but I heard they were heavy.
    Gott mit uns

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerh4ppy View Post
    the maverick is the same thing as a moss burg anyways.Don't go with that spas....Sure it looks cool but then again so does a saiga 12...and those run for 450+ at the most.That leaves money for more ammo and gear :]

but for simplicity purposes the mossburg or the maverick would be good choices

That's true, does the Saiga offer both pump action and semi-auto, or just semi-auto ? $450 then all the conversion stuff right, so add another $300+ for that and a couple mags. Magazines are expensive as hell and you figure at least buy 2 or 3 right, not even saying the drums, I don't know what they cost.

I do like the Saiga a lot though, tons of options.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    SPAS-12 is wicked, if you have the $$$ buy it dont buy the cheap aluminum shotghuns , i used to own a Maverick 88 is was a piece of crap.

I never forget the Terminator 1 when he used the SPAS 12 and the Wraith with Charlie Sheen wiht the SPAS-12 with flashing LEDs on it when he went into the garage blew holes in all the hot rod cars.

i love the SPAS 12 but its expensive and very cool looking , perfect shotgun for HD, make the BG crap his pants when he sees you pointing the SPAS 12 at him -priceless.

LMAO, VERY true. Does anyone know if $725 is a god price for one ??? I know they are not allowed to be imported anymore so does anyone know what they would sell for if someone who owned one now was selling it, roughly ?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post
    That's true, does the Saiga offer both pump action and semi-auto, or just semi-auto ? $450 then all the conversion stuff right, so add another $300+ for that and a couple mags. Magazines are expensive as hell and you figure at least buy 2 or 3 right, not even saying the drums, I don't know what they cost.

I do like the Saiga a lot though, tons of options.
    you can leave it in its stock configuration initially and convert bits and pieces as you go.No its just semi auto.....its an a ak shotgun.I think your overestimating on the conversion
    Gott mit uns

(Allegheny County)

I'd stay away from the Maverick... held it a couple times at a local dealer... it's basically a Moss500 with cheaper fit and finish, and overall poor manufacturing.

The SPAS-12 always has a cool factor Mossies have been around a while, and is a fine shotgun.... I'd put a 590 on par with a good Rem 870, a 500 on par with an 870 Express. Either the Mossie or the SPAS-12 would be good picks.

for a a home-d shotty, I'd pick a pump over a semi like a Saiga 12, but that's only my personal opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast