Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default Sportsman's Permit

anyone else ever get annoyed that PSP and County Treasurer's Offices insist the sportsman's permit is not a concealed carry permit? Possession of sportsman's permit while engaged in the enumerated acts or going to and from is listed as an exemption from firearms n ot to be carried without a license, which we all know refers to concealed on or about your person or in vehicle...in a state where it is pretty well known that unlicensed oc is legal, how can the state claim that permit is required to oc when fishing, etc...if the offense is carrying concealed, and the sportsman's permit is an exemption to this offense, than it is a restricted ccw.

your thoughts...

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Sportsman's Permit

The correct term is "License to carry firearms".......not....concealed carry permit.

The Sportsman's Permit is NOT a LTCF, although under a certain set of circumstances, you can carry concealed. This does NOT make it a LTCF.

The SP and LTCF are two different licenses that have a few overlapping allowances. You can't grab your SP, stuff a handgun in your pocket and drive down to Turkey Hill to pick up a half gallon of ice cream. That is not one of the "exceptions" listed under 6106.

You do NOT need a SP to open carry when hunting or fishing. You do need the SP to transport your firearm to these locations if you do not have a LTCF.

The SP is for persons, for whatever reason do not want to get a LTCF or cannot get a LTCF (being under 21).
    Last edited by Steve in PA; May 31st, 2010 at 03:23 AM.

(Pike County)

sorry about terminology...ccw is more common on other forums...i know the facts about sportsmans and my point is that the powers that be misrepresent that sportsmans is for oc not cc...anyone else have psp or treasurer tell them this and did you challenge them or suggest they read title 18

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by k12cop View Post
    sorry about terminology...ccw is more common on other forums...i know the facts about sportsmans and my point is that the powers that be misrepresent that sportsmans is for oc not cc...anyone else have psp or treasurer tell them this and did you challenge them or suggest they read title 18
    I see your frustration. Yeah, many persons and entities claim you cannot conceal with a SP when in reality it is for certain activities. Most folks need to transport a "firearm" in a vehicle to get to their fishing/hunting place, so a SP at minimum is required.

Most people, including most LEO's, do not know the law. There are the exceptions to the rule like Steve above, but a great many other Joes and LEOs do not, nor have they made any effort to read the laws.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I am a DP (Displaced Pennslvanian) and have hunted in PA for more years than I care to remember. I transport my weapons in compliance with Federal law and I use a Sportsman's license to carry concealed while hunting. It is only valid if I also have a valid hunting license. It did not permit me to carry loaded in a vehicle, or while spotlightingt.
    Currently I hold an Ohio CHL and a PA LTCF so I can now hunt without the Sportsman License.
    Skip Griffith, Korean War Vet, OH & PA CCW