Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default side by side or pump, tactical for home defense?

I'm getting a shotgun to keep in the house for home defense as home invasions are on the rise in our area and I'll be teaching the wife to use it.. Thinking 20g so its not as hard to use as a 12g.. but pump,, so they hear the racking,, or the simplicity of two ready to go? Was looking at the stoager(sp?) s/s 20g.. at the vf show.. and of course all the nice mossy and Remington riot guns..

Corrected tactical from tacticle,, as this made someone ache somewhere. I personally thought it was funny,, it was what the spell check on my hp laptop did. I didn't even notice. My iPhone has a better spell check than a laptop. Apparently there is an app for that.
    Last edited by Cruiser; July 22nd, 2010 at 04:43 PM.

(Clinton County)

Default Re: side by side or pump, tacticle for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I'm getting a shotgun to keep in the house for home defense as home invasions are on the rise in our area and I'll be teaching the wife to use it.. Thinking 20g so its not as hard to use as a 12g.. but pump,, so they hear the racking,, or the simplicity of two ready to go? Was looking at the stoager(sp?) s/s 20g.. at the vf show.. and of course all the nice mossy and Remington riot guns..
    I see this alot. But why would you want them to hear the raking. I was taught that if they know where you are it is tacticle disadvantage. If I had a shotgun for home defense. I would have on in the chamber just like my pistols. But I would go with a pump or semi shotgun.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Monroe County)

For strictly HD, go with a pump or a semi auto. Racking the pump gun is a sound one never forgets OR fails to recognize and YES it can SOMETIMES be a deterrent and cause the scumbag to run like hell, but it can put you at a disadvantage as well. Double barrels are nice and all, but IMHO they area a field gun for hunting. Effective for home defense yes, but so is a single shot rifle. Pump or semi auto gives you the versatility that a side by side doesn't as well as capacity (mounted light etc etc. Basically whatever your heart desires) Also a 12 gauge isnt bad recoil wise, most people can handle one just fine regardless of gender or size. Friend of mine, female about 5'6" 110 LBs soaking wet if she was lucky, fired 3" magnums out of my Remington 870 and (when I had it before selling it) my Mossberg 500 both in 12 gauge without falling over or complaining.

Just my input
    ~Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    Also a 12 gauge isnt bad recoil wise, most people can handle one just fine regardless of gender or size. Friend of mine, female about 5'6" 110 LBs soaking wet if she was lucky, fired 3" magnums out of my Remington 870 and (when I had it before selling it) my Mossberg 500 both in 12 gauge without falling over or complaining.

Just my input
    ~Steve
    +1

The first gun my wife ever shot was a 12 gauge. She's only 5'4" and fairly weak. After just a few shots she had no problem consistently grouping in center of mass at 15 yards, and wasn't intimidated by the recoil in the least.

(Chester County)

no offense OP, but is this a serious question?

get a pump 12ga. no debate

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Racking the slide might get you killed depending on the circumstances. If it's just you and your wife, and you're already barricaded in the bedroom, lock the door and then rack the slide when you hear them coming. Let em know you got a gun, you called 911, and to get the hell out. If you want...

If you need to clear the house, don't wait till you find them to rack the slide. That MIGHT scare them off, or it MIGHT let them know exactly where you are, so they can fill you full of lead.

Get a pump or semi auto in 12 guage, and get some low recoil 00 buck. You won't have a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Philadelphia County)

I dont get why people like shotguns so much for HD. They are long and heavy, which makes it not the best option for "clearing the house". Also, have you ever shot one indoors? Without hearing protection?

Then again, I dislike shotguns, and prefers handguns, or handgun caliber carbines for HD. But that's just me.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I dont get why people like shotguns so much for HD. They are long and heavy, which makes it not the best option for "clearing the house". Also, have you ever shot one indoors? Without hearing protection?

Then again, I dislike shotguns, and prefers handguns, or handgun caliber carbines for HD. But that's just me.

Remington Model 870™ Express® Tactical

Weight from 7.0 pounds (3.2 kg) to 8.0 pounds (3.6 kg)

Length 38 1/2 in

M4 carbine

Weight 5.9 lb (2.7 kg) empty 6.9 lb (3.1 kg) with 30 rounds

Length 33 in (838 mm) (stock extended) 29.8 in (757 mm) (stock retracted)

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post

Remington Model 870™ Express® Tactical

Weight from 7.0 pounds (3.2 kg) to 8.0 pounds (3.6 kg)

Length 38 1/2 in

M4 carbine

Weight 5.9 lb (2.7 kg) empty 6.9 lb (3.1 kg) with 30 rounds

Length 33 in (838 mm) (stock extended) 29.8 in (757 mm) (stock retracted)
    Neither one of those would be my first pick for HD, for the reasons I outlined before.

regardless, this is just my opinion, and not open for debate.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post

A person doesn't have to confine themselves to a long barreled sporting shotgun. A SBS, a PG only 18" pump, or a coachgun SxS are quite handy in close quarters. Even my 24" barreled coachy handles well in my small house.

Any gun beyond, and probably including a 22rf, is gonna be hell on your ears inside a house. 12K PSI of a shotgun vs. 18-40K PSI of a handgun vs. 45-65K PSI of a centerfire rifle will all be beyond the pain and damage threshold of the human ear.
    Last edited by knight0334; June 14th, 2010 at 12:02 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast