Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Ammo disposal

(Montgomery County)

Default Ammo disposal

Sorry if this has been asked before, did a quick search and didn't find anything.

How is a guy supposed to dispose of old ammo? My dad recently gave me a box of old ammo, lots of stuff in there, calibers I and even he don't have. Lots of shotgun shells that I'd say are 30+ years old. So I guess I'm tasked with getting rid of them or storing them for another 30+ years. Any ideas before I dig a hole in the backyard?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Ammo disposal

Quote Originally Posted by camery View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before, did a quick search and didn't find anything.

How is a guy supposed to dispose of old ammo? My dad recently gave me a box of old ammo, lots of stuff in there, calibers I and even he don't have. Lots of shotgun shells that I'd say are 30+ years old. So I guess I'm tasked with getting rid of them or storing them for another 30+ years. Any ideas before I dig a hole in the backyard?
    Take them to your local gun club or firing range. Most private gun clubs have boxes of obsolete ammo that they keep just for folks to poke through and shoot up. The firing ranges will usually take them and dispose of them. If you're in Montgomery County, you probably aren't that far from Delaware County Field and Stream. We have that sort of stuff around all the time for anyone who wants it.

Barring that, just call your local state police barracks and ask if you can drop them off for disposal.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Lebanon County)

There are people who collect old ammo, especially paper shotgun shells and obsolete cartridges. If you have the time to identify and itemize the contents of the box you might get a few bucks for it. If someone here doesn't take it off of your hands, I'm sure you could post it on a bulletin board at a local range or club and find someone who is interested. Shipping is a bit of a hassle, UPS is the only way I know of and you have to take it directly to a UPS hub, no carrier pickup or third party shipping services.
    Good luck.

(Jefferson County)

Shoot what you can, offer the rest to others to shoot.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

I would take the time (when/if you have spare time ), sort it and bag or box it. Then advertise in the classifieds here on the forum. There are a lot of people out there that may want to buy it just for the brass as they may have that caliber and want to be able to shoot and reload it. Others just collect different, odd, old, etc. ammo. I would not have it destroyed prior to selling/giving it away.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the suggestions.