Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P30 vs P2000SK

Default P30 vs P2000SK

So, when I initially bought my first uber-gun, I went with the Sig P229. I love it. BUT its a handful to CC, when I want to, so I figured I can get a second gun so CC while I OC my Sig.

I know right off the bat, I should stick with the P2000SK for main CC reasons. However, when I was initially buying my gun, I was stuck between the Sig and the P30. The thing that sold me on the Sig was definitely the trigger: way less play, much more crisp break.

I haven't held the P2000SK in a while, but I know I love the feeling of the P30 in my hands. I'm also starting to get my girl into shooting, and the Sig is a handful for her, so I know either the P30 or P2000SK will be better for her.

I'm pretty much just stuck between something I wanted, and something that is suited for the job. Not that I don't like the P2000SK, but I fell in love with the P30 when I first held it. lol.

I'm just asking for everyone's 2 cents! Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: P30 vs P2000SK

For CC purposes Id go SK. My P30 is damn near the same size as my 226 and is way to bulky IMO to use as a CC. The SK isnt really even that much smaller but every little bit helps when it comes to making your CCW concealed. Ergonomics wise the P30 is straight up amazing. I find myself constantly favoring the P30 as my weapon of choice over everything else because it just fits so perfectly. The SK isnt anywhere near the same level as the P30 in that regard. You really cant go wrong with either and both can be concealed but you might find you have to go through a couple holsters to get one that you like in the way it wears and conceals since they are on the bigger side. Im not sure about your size but Im 5'10'' 140lbs and despite my HK fanboi tendencies I went with a truly compact pistol for my CC because it was nearly impossible to dress around a holstered HK.

Also remember, the P30 is nearly identical size wise to the 229
    Last edited by Kyle H; May 30th, 2010 at 01:48 AM.

I hear ya on that. You got a couple inches on me, and about 20 lbs. I can't even hide a pack of my cellphone without wearin cargo pants, haha!

Honestly though, When I have concealed my P229, I can do it, but like I said, carrying around that steel frame is a pain, literally and figuratively. With either gun I decide on getting, I know I'm going to order a Crossbreed SuperTuck with it. Read many great reviews while searching here.

I need to find a place around town that has a P2000SK in stock, so I can test the trigger on it, and see it compared to the P30. Ah well!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by blankexistance View Post
    I hear ya on that. You got a couple inches on me, and about 20 lbs. I can't even hide a pack of my cellphone without wearin cargo pants, haha!

Honestly though, When I have concealed my P229, I can do it, but like I said, carrying around that steel frame is a pain, literally and figuratively. With either gun I decide on getting, I know I'm going to order a Crossbreed SuperTuck with it. Read many great reviews while searching here.

I need to find a place around town that has a P2000SK in stock, so I can test the trigger on it, and see it compared to the P30. Ah well!
    Have you thought about a pocket gun or j-frame? You really cant beat a j-frame in terms of reliability or price plus they are very easily concealable in a pocket holster.

As an eventuality, yes. I haven't done any deep research on pocket pistols or revolvers as of yet though. I still have many things on my wants list, and of course, not enough cash to fill it all out anytime soon lol.

(Montgomery County)

Of the choices you listed - SK hands-down. The stubby grip conceals about as well as a Glock 26/27, and as mentioned, the P30 is by no means a super-concealable pistol. You can't go wrong w/ the quality of any HK...

My EDC is an HK P7M8... Sooo thin and concealable... Not that light, and fairly low capacity, but man does it carry nicely on a proper gun belt... In the right spot, and w/ the right cant on the IWB holster - No printing whatsoever...

BTW I am 6'2" and approx 175 lbs... So I'm on the lean side...

I think the P2000 SK is the one you want if you have already examined it and compared it head to head w/ others...

Regards,

Bones

(Chester County)

P30 hands down. Excellent pistol that is accurate, reliable and might be one of the most comfortable handguns on the market. Needs a pair of Heine's for plastic perfection.

Only down side to it in my mind is the long reset but if you have been shooting a Sig you are used to it.

(Delaware County)

that P30 is actually a nice looking gun.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

I understand that you aren't a very big guy, but I have found that conceal-ability has more to do with the holster than the gun. I'm 6'3" and 230 pounds and I'm a serious athlete, so when I am dressed nicely, it can be difficult to carry concealed. I personally prefer pancake holsters and wearing something that covers the gun and holster completely, however I hate pancakes that tilt the gun forward and make the gun very awkward to draw when it rides that high. So I called Black Hills Leather in Laredo Texas and talked to a tradesman. I told him what I wanted, a vertical thumb break pancake holster for my Sig P220. Four weeks later I had a custom holster for very reasonable money and It hides the gun perfectly, draws right and gives good retention. I can't say enough good things about Black Hills Leather.

http://www.bhlstore.com
    Last edited by SCBaldr; June 3rd, 2010 at 09:18 PM.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Lebanon County)

FYI... I finally picked up a P30 that I have been eye'ing up for the past couple of weeks . I love it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast