Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default need help deciding on SBR upper

alright, so i'm building my first SBR! I got the finger print forms in the mail, and I'm printing out the form 1s and citizen ship form thingy from work on tuesday.

Im building this thing (in my head) and trying to come up with the best set up.
    I'm pretty set on 223 since i can put a 22 conversion in it for steel matches and screwing around, and 223 for rifle matches and SHTF and HD and whatnot.

What i'm wondering is the best barrel length for 223 in SBR. basically I want a good, quick to point, fast to move and accurate to 250 yards upper that will work in close quarters. I like the 7.5 and 10.5 or so, since I want rails for a flashlight and foregrip. I'm not sure if there's any real power bleed off at that level (since it's already weak to begin with). I'd also rather not go completely deaf, but if i need for HD my hearing will be the last of my worries. I also do not think i'll ever get a can for it.

just looking for help and ideas. I'm 30 pages through the SBR pic thread at AR15.com and all i have is wood, but no real idea.

Steve

(Northampton County)

Default Re: need help deciding on SBR upper

You mention defense. If you want 5.56 to do its nasty business and break into a hundred pieces as it passes through the bad guy then don't go under 11.5". With the proper ammo, and preferably even longer. If you want to keep your hearing if you have to use it in an emergency don't go below 14.5". If you might use a suppressor don't go below 11.5".

But, remember, you can have more than one length of short upper anyway

(Montgomery County)

Go with 11.5. Most suppressor co's prefer 11.5 to stabilize the bullets. Next, make sure you get a 1/7 twist barrel so you can shoot the 75g ammo.

But keep in mind, even using 75g 5.56 TAP that the effective range for the gun is going to be about 60 - 75 yards. Sure it will hit things out at 250 but the bullet will not do what it is meant to do at that distance.

(Franklin County)

good thread for me to watch. I am thinking of doing up an SBR as well. I really like the short stuff, 7.5 or 8 inch. But does this length make the rifle pretty much useless(for .223 accuracy).

I will have to go check out those pics

(Philadelphia County)

If you are asking for manufacturers, check out...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

or...

http://www.lewismachine.net/

or for some more $$ you could try....

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/

I personally have a 10.5 Noveske SS bbl upper I use with my suppressor and a 12.5 Noveske SS bbl upper I use with out the can. Since I don't suppress it, I really like the 12.5 for overall "compactness" (I don't know if that's a word) and it is super accurate to about 150m and that's all the more I want from it...

another vote for the 11.5. better for self defense and a little less wear on your suppressor if you decide to go that route.

(Montgomery County)

I just got a 11.5 in gas piston upper from stag and I love it! I don't know yet if I plan on going with a suppressor, maybe... It's also a lefty so I can't do any of the .22 conversions, however if you get the right handed version I am pretty sure you can. They don't list their SBR uppers on the website, you have to call and ask because they are for LE or Military only unless you get the stamp. I believe they offer 9, 10.5, 11.5, 14.5.

(Erie County)

It is a disease...once you start, there is no turning back!

I tricked out a Bushy and then started buying suppressors...and the guns to go with them.
    Started with a Checkmate .22 and a sweet P22.
    Next a AAC Evo-9 and a Beretta platform.
    Next was the SWR HEMSII and barrels for the Kimber and the USP.
    Next...built up a 9mm AR SBR...LMT platform lower and then waited for the paper chase. Now that the stamps are back...I have a sickly quiet 5" SBR with a SWR Trident on the end.
    Just built a 7.5" pistol to play with while that paper makes the trip and then it will be a .223 SBR to play with the other friend in the safe.
    I built it as a pistol and as such, I can add the other uppers and interchange them. Just careful not to add the stock as that would put me in violation.
    It is a flame thrower right now but a heck of a lot of fun!

I will be having a 16" barrel cut down to 11.5, threaded and will add a Griffin Armaments M4SD thread-mount to that one but my SOT hasn't received that one or the Spartan I for my Bushy yet so there will be quite a wait for the two new cans.
    We will be taking them both to the range while we wait just to give them a dance and then back to his safe until the stamps come back.

It is a disease...it completely wipes out your wallet and starts you needing the next NFA-fix...soon! Just so you are warned, there is NO known cure.

But what the hell..JUMP IN AND DON'T LOOK BACK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    alright, so i'm building my first SBR! I got the finger print forms in the mail, and I'm printing out the form 1s and citizen ship form thingy from work on tuesday.

Im building this thing (in my head) and trying to come up with the best set up.
    I'm pretty set on 223 since i can put a 22 conversion in it for steel matches and screwing around, and 223 for rifle matches and SHTF and HD and whatnot.

What i'm wondering is the best barrel length for 223 in SBR. basically I want a good, quick to point, fast to move and accurate to 250 yards upper that will work in close quarters. I like the 7.5 and 10.5 or so, since I want rails for a flashlight and foregrip. I'm not sure if there's any real power bleed off at that level (since it's already weak to begin with). I'd also rather not go completely deaf, but if i need for HD my hearing will be the last of my worries. I also do not think i'll ever get a can for it.

just looking for help and ideas. I'm 30 pages through the SBR pic thread at AR15.com and all i have is wood, but no real idea.

Steve
    Last edited by EchoAngel17; June 14th, 2010 at 04:25 PM.

(York County)

I have a Bushmaster 11½ inch HBAR Upper that I use along with a 20 inch HBAR on my Colt M16A1. Using Iron Sights there is very little accuracy difference at 200 yards.

A few years ago I once spent a very pleasant Saturday shooting my M16A1 using the 11½ inch Upper. I aimed almost exclusively at targets set at 200 yards. All the shots were from the Prone position, using a bipod for support. The targets looked almost exactly what I would get with my regular, full length Upper.

Edit to add: Don't cut down a 16 inch upper, Bushmaster's 11½ inch Uppers are accurate enough. That should cut down the time very nicely.