Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Decisions, Decisions

Looking to buy a new 9mm, either a Springfield XD 9 Tactical or Sig P226 (non rail version)

Gonna be for 3 gun shoots only and range time. Narrowed down to one of these, price isn't a consideration. Kinda leaning towards the Sig but know the XD is just as good, have shot the XD before never shot the Sig
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(York County)

Default Re: Decisions, Decisions

It sounds like accuracy will be your top priority in judging a weapon. I can't vouch for these, since I've not shot one, but look up Sig SportStock and see if that might fit the bill. I don't know if Springfield offers an analog in XD flavor.

(Bucks County)

id go with the sig, but thats just an opinion.

if i was going for a strictly range gun id go for a full size 1911
    or this monster

(Montgomery County)

I'd opt for the xd. Why? because it is a striker fired gun so there is no need to transition from DA to SA. The xd's trigger is always the same. Since you'll be using it to play games why not get the better / easier trigger.

(Lebanon County)

TD,

I'm figuring the XD because there is a beast load of extra you could score for it. Either pistol is a smooth choice, but you have been talking up the XD love for awhile.

Course you had an XD already and moved it on down the road. You seem to be growing the sig collection so thats something else to keep in mind.

I personally would roll the HK option that you did not list

i have spent a lot of time shooting the XD, Glock and Sig. they are all good quality pistols, and each have their strong and weak points, but for your use i have the following thoughts:
    1. you will pick up the XD trigger, the fastest. it is the easiest of the three to learn quickly. it has a shorter takeup than the Glock, and a consistent trigger pull over the Sig. the pull is a little gritty, and the reset is not as consistent imo. not that i shoot Sigs a lot, and when i transitioned to the Glock, i went back to the XD trigger and wondered how i had tolerated it.

2. the Glock has the most consistent trigger pull and break - no DA/SA like the Sig, but a smoother, more consistent break than the XD. if you are going to shoot your Glock a lot, i cannot encourage you enough to replace a serrated trigger with a smooth trigger, otherwise you will develop a blister on your trigger finger anytime your range session goes over 200 rounds.

3. the Sig has the trigger that will give you the best results, IF YOU ARE WILLING TO PRACTICE. the trigger pull is by far the smoothest of the three, very clean break, the best DA and SA trigger pulls you will ever find in a DA/SA pistol. i spend 50 rounds of every 200 round practice range session shooting the DA to SA transition. there are many good smiths that can improve the Sig trigger pull considerably, and you can also opt for factory action jobs and/or a "Short Reset Trigger" should you find a need for it.

just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    id go with the sig, but thats just an opinion.

if i was going for a strictly range gun id go for a full size 1911
    Thought about that, but I'm looking more for magazine capacity, would rather make the minimum one mag change than two, possibly three. Since I do reload, I did consider the full size Para Hi-Cap... as well as the Bul M5 but decided to go 9mm instead.

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    i have spent a lot of time shooting the XD, Glock and Sig. they are all good quality pistols, and each have their strong and weak points, but for your use i have the following thoughts:
    1. you will pick up the XD trigger, the fastest. it is the easiest of the three to learn quickly. it has a shorter takeup than the Glock, and a consistent trigger pull over the Sig. the pull is a little gritty, and the reset is not as consistent imo. not that i shoot Sigs a lot, and when i transitioned to the Glock, i went back to the XD trigger and wondered how i had tolerated it.

2. Friends don't let their friends shoot Glocks

3. the Sig has the trigger that will give you the best results, IF YOU ARE WILLING TO PRACTICE. the trigger pull is by far the smoothest of the three, very clean break, the best DA and SA trigger pulls you will ever find in a DA/SA pistol. i spend 50 rounds of every 200 round practice range session shooting the DA to SA transition. there are many good smiths that can improve the Sig trigger pull considerably, and you can also opt for factory action jobs and/or a "Short Reset Trigger" should you find a need for it.

just my $0.02
    fixed it for ya....

Yeah checked out the SRT trigger on a Sig, was really nice.

Probably gonna maybe, might get the XD since I've shot them in the past with good results.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%