Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default AR 15 pistol to SBR question

So I think I want an SBR. I will start on the paperwork end of this very soon. My question is, can I just buy an AR 15 pistol now, and when my stamp arrives, can I put on a new buffer tube with stock and be done? I understand I would have to engrave the lower, but I could send it out while waiting for the stamp.

Am I missing something else? Seems to me that the above would work.

Another question, on the Form 1 it is asks for overall length. How can I answer that without violating the law? I mean, to get the length, I would have to put the tube with stock on it, and at that point I broke the law. Just lay it beside the pistol and get it fairly close? Seems to me, fairly close is kind of dangerous when dealing with ATF and NFA issues.

Suggestions are welcome.

Default Re: AR 15 pistol to SBR question

Quote Originally Posted by PAfarmboy View Post
    So I think I want an SBR. I will start on the paperwork end of this very soon. My question is, can I just buy an AR 15 pistol now, and when my stamp arrives, can I put on a new buffer tube with stock and be done?That's how I would do it, since you'll need the serial number to send in the paper work. I understand I would have to engrave the lower, but I could send it out while waiting for the stamp.thats what i do

Am I missing something else?

Another question, on the Form 1 it is asks for overall length. How can I answer that without violating the law? I mean, to get the length, I would have to put the tube with stock on it, and at that point I broke the law. Just lay it beside the pistol and get it fairly close? Seems to me, fairly close is kind of dangerous when dealing with ATF and NFA issues. Your best bet is to just ask someone on here what their gun measures. My AR w/ magpul CTR stock, and 10.5" barrel comes in at 29.5" OAL if that helps at all.

Suggestions are welcome.
    mine in blue, seems like you have it down pretty good though. Also be check out ithinkimamedic's sticky. http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...xperience.html

(Franklin County)

Thanks XD

I read all the stickys on the NFA page. Good info there. When they say CLEO, do you know if the commander of the local State Police barracks counts? I dont have local police, only State Police. Sherriff is my other option I guess.

Can I ask you why you went with 10.5" barrel? Do you have silencer on it? I read that 10.5 is minimum barrel length if you are going to use a can. Just curious. I was looking at 7.5 or 8 inch barrels.

(Chester County)

I read that 10.5 is minimum barrel length if you are going to use a can. Just curious. I was looking at 7.5 or 8 inch barrels.
    Barrels that are shorter than 10.5" may not properly stabilize the bullets, increasing the chances of a baffle or end-cap strike. Short barrels also expose the can to higher pressure and erosion from the burning powder. Check out this thread by a large suppressor dealer on AR15.com: Running a can on your SBR AR? READ THIS!. Many suppressor manufacturers will not warranty cans used on barrels under 10.5".

Thanks XD

I read all the stickys on the NFA page. Good info there. When they say CLEO, do you know if the commander of the local State Police barracks counts? I dont have local police, only State Police. Sherriff is my other option I guess.

Can I ask you why you went with 10.5" barrel? Do you have silencer on it? I read that 10.5 is minimum barrel length if you are going to use a can. Just curious. I was looking at 7.5 or 8 inch barrels.
    I can't say for sure if a PSP commander can sign or not, hopefully someone who does will be around to say. A few other options besides your CLEO are:

1. Local Sheriff
    2. Local Judge that presides in Felony cases (a JP does not count)
    3. Local District Attorney
    4. Incorporation. Make a corporation where the owner of the NFA item is the corp, not you, thus no signatures(this does have its drawbacks, but not much)
    5. Make a Trust where the trust is the entity that holds the item. See a lawyer on this to have itdone right, skip the $30 programs like Quicken and such, pay someone trained to make this legal document to make it right.
    (copied from jaybell)

I went with 10.5 because it was the shortest I could find a can for without voiding the warranty/screwing it up.

(Franklin County)

So I hope some of the NFA experts read this. Another question on SBR.

So I* was at the local shop today and they have an 11" AR 15 pistol on the wall. I was gonna purchase it, but the shop owner tells me that once a lower is sold as a pistol, it has to stay a pistol? He said he doesnt think a pistol can be converted to an SBR once it has been a pistol. SO does anyone know the answer to this? Can an AR 15 off the rack be made into an SBR once the stamp is in hand and the engraving gets completed?

Dont want to buy this "pistol" if it cant be made into an SBR.

I have read up on SBR on this site and a couple other gun sites, and have not seen this mentioned before. Just a shop owner being conservative?

thanks

So I hope some of the NFA experts read this. Another question on SBR.

So I* was at the local shop today and they have an 11" AR 15 pistol on the wall. I was gonna purchase it, but the shop owner tells me that once a lower is sold as a pistol, it has to stay a pistol? He said he doesnt think a pistol can be converted to an SBR once it has been a pistol. SO does anyone know the answer to this? Can an AR 15 off the rack be made into an SBR once the stamp is in hand and the engraving gets completed?

Dont want to buy this "pistol" if it cant be made into an SBR.

I have read up on SBR on this site and a couple other gun sites, and have not seen this mentioned before. Just a shop owner being conservative?

thanks
    AFAIK, he is wrong. It could not be made into a rifle after being a pistol, but as far as putting it on a F1 and adding a stock I dont see why not.

ETA: thinking about it I know 2 people personally who did it with sig 556 pistols

(Franklin County)

XD,
    thanks again. I think you are right. I have been digging on the net all night, and have found a few sites that mention pistol to sbr. I think I am gonna go buy it tomorrow.

(Centre County)

XD45 is correct. Nothing wrong with it at all. Some prefer to do it that way so you can check functionality and build it up to what you want it to be before the F1 comes though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    AFAIK, he is wrong. It could not be made into a rifle after being a pistol, but as far as putting it on a F1 and adding a stock I dont see why not.
    You could make it into a rifle by adding a shoulder stock and an apppriate length barrel. However, as the rules are currently written you can't turn it back into a pistol without permission from the gummit and $200 in taxes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast