Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Post Need some advice, two .45 cal handguns or two 9mm's ? Or 1 of each ??

Hey all, here's what I'm looking at. I currently own a Taraus PT1911 45 cal. and a H&K P30 9mm. I absolutly LOVE my Taraus...first firearm I really ever owned and honestly it just shoots accuratly, consistently and reliably for me since I have gotten it.

Now about 9 months back I purchased the H&K P30, it is an AWESOME gun, the feel in your hands is one of the best around, especially with the adjustable backstrap and side panels, almost everyone can get a comfortable grip for themselves. It shoots very nice, and is also accurate, consistent and reliable thus far for me. I haven't gotten to take it out as much as I'd like since I bought it right before winter so I still need some pratice with with.

Now I know the basic diffrences between the 9mm and 45 cal. the 9 holding roughly double of most .45's, faster follow up shots with the 9mm as well. Ammo a bit cheaper, less recoil. And the .45 has more power, has the potential to do more damage if you have shot placement down, IIRC there a few models that have 12rd mags or somewhere around there.

The reason I am going about all this is because I would really like to stay with the same caliber, either have 2 .45's or 2 9mm's. If they used the same magazines that would be a HUGE plus, but doesn't have to and it's not a deal breaker if they don't, just a lot easier. As it stands I am a better shot with the .45 because it's the handgun I've been shooting for 3 and a half years now. While the weather has gotten nicer I have no doubt that I could adjust to the 9mm easily, and improve fast.

If I did go with 2 .45's then I would like to get a bigger mag capability then 7 or 8, maybe 12 or 14 if possile, I know there's a few out there, haven't had much experience with them though. So if anyone could suggest some it would be much appreciated.

If I went with 2 9mm's then I was thinking SIG, like a P226, something full size. I also don't know of a lot of over 9mm's, I know of some such as the Sig P226 but I am SURE there's a ton of other great, reliable, accurate 9mm's out there as well, I don't want to limit myself either way I go. If anyone has some suggestions on other 9mm's I would also appreciate it.

Lastly, what are your thoughts, have 2 .45's or 2 9mm's and maybe if you could list a few reasons as why you chose whichever one you did. I appreciate everyone's help and look forward to hearing everyone's opinion/suggestion on this.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Need some advice, two .45 cal handguns or two 9mm's ? Or 1 of each ??

My 2 cents...

On which other 9mm's are good choices. I absolutely love my CZ-SP01 9mm pistol. It is an all steel frame so it's feel and size are very much like a 1911. But much cheaper to shoot! Not counting the few 1911's that come in 9mm. I want one by the way!!! I have a Colt 1911 and pretty much never shoot it because of the cost of ammo. I have a two year old so reloading myself isn't really an option for me right now. That all being said. I have a few 9mm's (Glock 19 for carry or just keep in my truck, CZ-SP01, and S&W M&P compact) and also have a S&W M&P full size .40. I switch the Glock and the M&P .40 from my bedside and carry guns. Anyway my point is I like the 9mm to shoot a lot of and will still be a good protector with the right ammo and the .40 because it is a great man stopper, relatively cheaper than .45 and I can put 15+1 of .40 in my M&P for plenty of ammo God forbid I ever need that much. I love the M&P .40 by the way. Just traded my S&W 99 for it. I didn't like it nearly as much. The M&P handles the snap of the .40 much better! Oh I forgot to mention my favorite gun I own is my Colt Python 6" .357. Blued steel. Such an amazing gun. Usually only shoot .38 super though for cost reasons again. Anyway I like having multiple types of calibers. I like the varity and feel confident that any of my guns would do the job if need be. Sorry if this was long winded. That's just my 2 cents. I'm sure there are tons of good reasons for either way you could go.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Need some advice, two .45 cal handguns or two 9mm's ? Or 1 of each ??

By the way I think my CZ-SP01 would be much more reliable than an out of the box 1911 plus it holds 18+1! Read up on the NATO testing the CZ75 platform has been through. It does far better than what our military requirements are. Don't get upset guys I know there are plenty of reliable 1911's out there but I think many of the more reliable ones have had work done right?. 1911's are known to jam and yes usually get better with the more rounds put in. My point being that if you want to look at 9mm check out the CZ-SP01. It's a great gun. And for the record I absolutely love 1911's. I wish I had the money to put into mine or buy a sweet custom one like a Wilson Combat or something. Man they are some of the most beautiful pistols I've ever seen!

(Bucks County)

Oh and I meant .38 special not super for the Python. Sorry

(Lancaster County)

IMO - Go with the .45's , But which ever you decide I would buy two of the same caliber. Good luck and post pics when you get them !

(Allegheny County)

Personally I'm a 1911/.45 guy myself because that's what I started on. Thing is, I've started to move into 9mm for a couple reasons you mentioned (capacity and cost), but also because there are so many good guns to choose from in that caliber. You already have an HK and mentioned the Sig P226. Both are great. Then there are the Beretta 92, Kahr PM9, Browning HP, many Glocks, Springfield XDs (though a .45 is coming), and so on. You know, so many flavors that there's bound to be one or two you'll love.

IMO the .45 platform is a little more limited. Of course you can find HKs and Glocks and all the 1911s and others but some manufacturers don't offer much in 45. The smaller round size doesn't bother me much, especially since it lends itself to higher cap mags. If I had to only pick one caliber, it very well may be 9mm now.

(Lancaster County)

Also not to get off topic , just throwing this out there, if you want a larger round with a high capacity mag there is always the 40 S&W. I have a Smith and Wesson Sigma and it is a great firearm. Capacity , 14 in the mag , and one in the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_in_Lancity View Post
    Also not to get off topic , just throwing this out there, if you want a larger round with a high capacity mag there is always the 40 S&W. I have a Smith and Wesson Sigma and it is a great firearm. Capacity , 14 in the mag , and one in the pipe.
    In that case, how about an FN Herstal FNP-45?

14+1 in .45ACP, ~$600

(Berks County)

i reload so I can afford to shoot pretty much anything i want. I only own .40's and .45's and revolvers. I've just decided not to long ago that I want 9mm's. Theres so many guns available in 9mm. With the newer bullet designs theres really not that much difference between the three major calipers. I'm going to start off with a Kahr PM9 for pocket carry to replace my smith 642 j-frame. From there probably a beretta 92 and glock 19. I just feel more comfortable with more rounds in the magazine!

(Philadelphia County)

9MM's are always great because ammo is so cheap, but there is little like the fun of a .45. If you are a range shooter, then I would buy 9MM's for economic resons, but if this is for protection, then you have to go with your own gut.

If you are looking at 9MM's, you can rarely go wrong with a Sig, Beretta, HK, or Glock, All of them have models that are great, and decent for carry weapons. I personally am a Glock and Sig guy!

If you want a larger capacity .45, look at Glock, Ruger, Sig and H&K. Even the Glock Sub-compact holds 10 rounds.

Just my .02.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast