Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact 1911

(York County)

Default Compact 1911

I have been looking for a compact 1911. I really want the kimber ultra carry but it cost an arm and a leg. Does anyone have experience or review with Citadel 1911 or the Springfield GI 1911 3"?

Thanks.

Default Re: Compact 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I have been looking for a compact 1911. I really want the kimber ultra carry but it cost an arm and a leg. Does anyone have experience or review with Citadel 1911 or the Springfield GI 1911 3"?

Thanks.
    Check out the Sig GSR C3, cheaper than a Kimber (about $150) and a better setup than Kimbers have IMHO. I thas the shorter Officer frame and the longer Commander slide. Makes it nice because it doesn't have some of the issues that the short slide models can have. Weighs in at 29.5 oz and looks really great. It's also a bushing barrel so you don't need anything special to get it apart like some Bull barrels need. Send me a PM if you'd like to come and give it a run sometime.

What I carry every day
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    Check out the Sig GSR C3, cheaper than a Kimber (about $150) and a better setup than Kimbers have IMHO. I thas the shorter Officer frame and the longer Commander slide. Makes it nice because it doesn't have some of the issues that the short slide models can have. Weighs in at 29.5 oz and looks really great. It's also a bushing barrel so you don't need anything special to get it apart like some Bull barrels need. Send me a PM if you'd like to come and give it a run sometime.

What I carry every day
    +1 on this ^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^
    And he's not kidding about issues in short slide 1911s. The 3 inch guns tend to be pretty wonky across the board. Not to say you can't make one work, it's usually just a pain.

On an unrelated note... You're in Etters? I'm right off the Reesers Summit exit on 83. Send me a PM if you need someone to shoot with, I go to the range almost twice a week.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

msrp on the c3 is 1200. take a class at sig and get 20% off. brings it down to 960.00

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    msrp on the c3 is 1200. take a class at sig and get 20% off. brings it down to 960.00
    And you can get the ultra carry for less. I have run run about 200rds thru mine all different types and brands and no problems with it.

I think I paid around 770 for mine, I will check my paper work, It was only 2months ago.
    Last edited by cgbudde; May 29th, 2010 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    street price is way below that, I didn't pay that with a box of Golden Sabers, leather holster, Tax and PICS, OTD

btw, got it NIB

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post

Thanks.
    I read a magazine review on the Citadel that stated the pros and cons. It appears to be a well made affordable pistol in the price range you seem to want.

Here's the Tactical Life/Combat Handgun review:
    http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...citadel-45acp/

I remember reading in the picture section another forum member bought one and liked it:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...gh-1911-a.html

You could get some actual feedback sending a PM to the OP of that thread.

Hope that answers your question about the Citadel. Try a thread search on the Springfield GI, you might just find a couple members that own one and get some feedback on that particular piece.

Happy gun hunting!
    Porsche, there is no substitute

(Berks County)

I have an ARMSCOR - made Charles Daly ECS Compact, made in '03. Carry it most of the cooler months and even sometimes in summer. It has been very reliable and more accurate than I ever expected. I compared it to Colt compacts side by side and found I liked the ARMSCOR better, so I bought it - later bought another fullsize tactical version. Have been shooting 1911's for over 40 years, and own 2 of the Armscor pistols - check out the RIA's and see what you think.

mark

ADDED: I have read that stuff about short 1911's not working - RIA's and other ARMSCOR made compacts work great - just see the 1911.org forum for RIA pistols.

m
    Last edited by dogngun; June 10th, 2010 at 09:39 AM.
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

(Lebanon County)

A Para C7 would be a good choice. I carried one for a couple of years until I decided to start carrying difference piece. I still to this day occasionally carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by jhbenson4 View Post

I read a magazine review on the Citadel that stated the pros and cons. It appears to be a well made affordable pistol in the price range you seem to want.

Here's the Tactical Life/Combat Handgun review:
    http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...citadel-45acp/

I remember reading in the picture section another forum member bought one and liked it:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...gh-1911-a.html

You could get some actual feedback sending a PM to the OP of that thread.

Hope that answers your question about the Citadel. Try a thread search on the Springfield GI, you might just find a couple members that own one and get some feedback on that particular piece.

Happy gun hunting!
    Citadel is a Armscor mfg gun, they can be hit or miss depending on the specs the importer desires. RIA, CD, Citadel and a few others import them. I've seen them for about $450 + T&P's Shyda's in Lebanon has the Comander size ones in stock. The look good and seem better fit than the Daly ones ever were by them. I'm not sure if they are rated for +P ammo. The RIA made by them seem the best of the group as far as quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast