Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: hunting load

(Allegheny County)

Default hunting load

What would be the best load for hunting deer with a .357? I just started reloading and maybe its me or the excitement of shooting my own stuff, but, I can see a difference in my grouping. And i have alot more appreciation for it now. Probably doesn't make sense but...the reloading brings the ecitement back to my revolver. I'm shooting it more and getting to like it better than my autos. So now I'm going to hunt with it. But i also have a question about that too. I looked in the reg book but couldn't figure out if you need to get a sportsmans permit to hunt with a pistol if you had a CCW. And if so, where do you get the permit? And is it only good for a particular county? Thanks for the help.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: hunting load

Hey plr,

You do not need the sportsmen permit if you have your ccw. I would suggest the Hornaday 158gr XTP for deer. I would work my way up the the max load using a slow handgun powder such as Alliant 2400 or Blue Dot, Accurate Arms #9, or Hodgdon's H110. Progressively increase the powder charge until you either reach the max listed load or you start getting preasure signs such as very flattened primers or sticky extraction. Keep in mind that 357 is considered by most to be the minimium handgun caliber for deer hunting and you should keep your shots within about 50 yards.