Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default p 239 .40 question

The local gun store has a ton of these that look lightly used. My question is why are there so many used ones there? Do people not like them after buying them and bring em back? I cant imagine any police would use a 7 shot conceal piece. I was really wanting an xd compact for carrying, but they are getting popular (meaning more expensive) and for a little more I could buy a p239 which I would rather have but I wonder why so many get traded in.

Default Re: p 239 .40 question

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    The local gun store has a ton of these that look lightly used. My question is why are there so many used ones there? Do people not like them after buying them and bring em back? I cant imagine any police would use a 7 shot conceal piece. I was really wanting an xd compact for carrying, but they are getting popular (meaning more expensive) and for a little more I could buy a p239 which I would rather have but I wonder why so many get traded in.
    I had a 9mm and traded it. I only traded it because I needed some money and got a trade out of it too. Im looking to get another if i ever come into some money, but i want to get a .40 this time around. I loved it. Shot well and felt great in my hands. How much are they going for?

Some folks don't like the snap of the .40 S&W. I know that I didn't like the way my H&K felt in .40 cal. I traded it for a Sig P239 in .40 S&W and I added the Hogue grips for it. The Hogues get rid of the snap. My P239 is by far the nicest .40 cal I've ever shot.

The only reason I got another .40 cal was because I liked the idea of switching barrels and going to .357 Sig. I'm hoping a .357 Sig barrel is coming by way of a birthday present, but in the mean time, I'm loving my P239 as is.

I had one for a range trip in 9mm. I thought it was a great gun Sig's quality is top notch. I traded it cause I didn't like the grip, I put a set of Hogue's on it and still didn't like it I just prefer the Glock grip so I traded for a G26. I also had an XD and can tell you, you will love it mine was the XD40SC and I only sold it cause I wasn't that enthused about the .40, but I recently shot a G27 and loved it so maybe I just go with Glock.

I picked up a CPO sig 239 in .40 about a month ago. I have always wanted a 239 since it is top-notch as far as quality, and it conceals well.

I can't speak as to why your shop had several. I can't imagine people dumping 239s in large quantities. Like any other gun, some will love them, and others won't. Generally speaking, the 239 has a pretty solid reputation.

If you find a used one & you are happy with the price, jump on it. I have a DAK, which I think is pretty impressive. Again, some like it, others don't.

(Montgomery County)

How many are a ton??
    Did you ask the shop if they were LEO trade ins?
    It's possible that some agency that arms their employees - not a Police Dept, used them.

IMHO, a P239 is a small gun that shoots like a big gun. With a set of Hogues or Crimson Trace laser grips it's got the perfect size grip, big enough to get a good hold on but small enough to easily conceal.

I've got them in both 9mm and .40S&W and IMHO, either caliber very easy to control and get good follow up shots with. Even chambered in .357sig, it's an easy gun to shoot and perceived recoil is at a minimum.

I mainly carry a P239 SAS 9mm with CT's in the summer. Some will tell you they are too heavy for their size, but I think their weight is what makes them so easy to shoot and soak up any recoil. I've never owned a model gun with a shorter barrel that I can should as accurately as a P239.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Monroe County)

its possible there are alot of them because maybe they were department issue or something for off duty carry due to its size, punch and ease of concealment and now they have been traded.

or i could know jack shit and just take a wild guess like the above.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.