Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Glock 30 Question

So after a month and a half of hassles, I finally got my Glock 30 SF. I picked it up new with factory tritium sights. This is my first handgun so excuse my noobness.

My question concerns how the guide rod sticks about 1/16" further then it looks like it should. From my google research, it seems this is common if not how all 30s look. That being said, when I field strip the gun, I notice that the guide rod is still partially in the second indent that it needs to go into for reassembly, the one that looks like a half moon . Not all the way in the half moon indent like it would be if I just put the guide rod back in, but halfway out of the indent, but still not in the first indent. From my understanding after the slide is pulled for the first time after reassembly, the guide rod should slide from the second indent into the first one. Is that correct? Will this go away after the recoil spring breaks in a little?

This isn't mine but this is how it looks.

Default Re: Glock 30 Question

The gun will only fire or release the striker if in battery. The guide on my G30 looks just like that and it has thousands of rounds through it.

Note: youngest shooter to try mine was a 12 year old girl and her smile melted my heart. There is something to be said for volunteering to help during ladies only shoots. Women and girls will ensure the future of our rights.

(Monroe County)

Thats not really true, sure when theyre seven but wait untill they get interested in Girls stuff and Boys? THeyre just not cutout for it, its not in thier Genes.

How many women and girls you see hanging out at the Gunshops on a saturday Morning ? THeyre at the mall .

The girls that shoots a little with Dad etc. usually stop shooting at about 12 yrs old, not much future there.

Then they get Married and proceeded to tell thier husbands that they dont want no guns in the house. Future?

Nyman

Quote Originally Posted by cw4ski View Post
    The gun will only fire or release the striker if in battery. The guide on my G30 looks just like that and it has thousands of rounds through it.

Note: youngest shooter to try mine was a 12 year old girl and her smile melted my heart. There is something to be said for volunteering to help during ladies only shoots. Women and girls will ensure the future of our rights.
    Battery is when the slide comes all the way forward into the firing position right? That's not the issue.

From my understanding after the slide is pulled for the first time after reassembly, the guide rod should slide from the second indent into the first one. Is that correct?
    I only noticed the guide rod was still partially in the half moon shaped indent if I was very gentle doing the field strip. From everything I've read most have the guide rod stick out slightly like in the picture, but work just fine. I did once by chance get it to lie flush. That time it popped into the first indent.

I'm a mechanical engineer and I just find it irksome that if it was designed to fall back into the first indent and lie flush at the front, that it doesn't, regardless if it works or not.

The only way this won't bug me is if someone can explain the need for it to pop into the first indent just for a field strip, or help me figure out what's wrong.

I did read somewhere that Glock, not to long ago, changed the length of the guide rod, making it just slightly longer. Can anyone confirm this?

(Lycoming County)

When my G30 was new I noticed that I couldnt reassemble it unless the recoil spring was positioned into the half moon shaped indent...now that it is broken in I dont have to put it all the way down to the moon shaped indent but I still do because It's easier and less force has to be applied so I always assumed it was the right way...

So when you put the slide on and cock it the spring will slip back up to the top notch..I guess the half moon shape was just meant for reassembly...

And I wouldnt worry about the guide rod sticking out.. mine does too...
    Last edited by kbcobra26; May 28th, 2010 at 05:06 AM.