Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cross Draw- How do you guys feel about it

Sooo I have a Sig P226 that I semi open carry in the summer time. T-shirt with button down. I have a hard time with the gun when I get into my car and there is no way that I could get to it without unbuckling the seat belt.

So I tried doing cross draw in my house (unloaded of course). Its good but slower than strong side OWB draw. What are the benefits? It seems like driving cross draw would be so much better, but what is everyone's feelings.

BTW, I'm left handed but draw with my right hand. In a jam I can accurately shoot my gun with my left hand.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Cross Draw- How do you guys feel about it

what ever works

Well Ive never been to keen on cross draw, because i think its slower but its really up to you and what your comfortable with.

(Monroe County)

wear it strong side. throw your left hand behind you and pull your shirt out of the way at the same time you go to draw with your right. kind of like your windmilling.

(Delaware County)

I say do what works best for YOU..what someone else might find uncomfortable or not to their style, it might work perfect for YOU.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Allegheny County)

cross draw is a good option in a car for the reasons you pointed out.

it has some definite disadvantages outside of a car, though.

1. as you discovered, the draw is slower.

2. a bigger problem with the draw is that if you are already at bad breath distance, getting the gun into the fight is much harder. you have to reach across your body...possibly through your attacker...to get to the gun. you then have to bring it back across your body...possibly through the attacker...to get the muzzle on target. that provides many opportunities for the guy to foil your draw and/or take the gun.

it also makes it easier for someone you are in a bad breath distance confrontation with to access your gun while it is in the holster.

3. you sweep everyone to the side (right side since you are left handed) with the muzzle as you draw. this could be an issue in a self-defense situation. if you get on the trigger too quickly with your adrenaline flowing, you could send a bullet in a completely different direction from where you want it to go. moreover, unless you practice by yourself, this will be an issue at the practice range. (in fact, IPSC/IDPA etc. do not allow cross draw for this very reason). and it is absolutely a bad idea to practice one way, but carry a different way.

imho, cross draw is a bad idea except in a car. if you are going to be in a car for a long time period, then OK. but for everyday life, imho, it is not the best way to carry.
    F*S=k

(Adams County)

You are going to have to experiment with the two and see what is most comfortable. Both have their advantages and disadvantages as others have mentioned so I won't rehash those particular items.

Strong side wear, the closer you are to 3:00 the more likely you can draw while buckled in. Ensure that when you enter your vehicle you pull/put your shirt up over your holster then tuck the shirt behind it. After you buckle, ensure that to draw the most you have to do is slightly rotate your hips left (counter-clockwise), that should present a good draw posture.

Cross-draw, you really should be almost duplicating strong side wear, make sure if you conceal that whatever covers your firearm is cleared out of the way before you buckle in. One advantage to this one is that if you are engaging a bad guy at the door the weapon is on that side pointed at the door (mindful of sweeping your non firing arm). Otherwise if you are engaging through the windshield a bit of adjustment is needed.

I've observed both of these demonstrated by persons of different sizes in different types of vehicles (not personally but on various defense TV shows). The only strong side wear that presented the most difficulty was an IWB, most of the OWB carriers strong side were able to draw and engage.

Muzzle sweep of your off hand/arm can become a problem in the car regardless of the way you carry. I certainly encourage you to obtain a practice dummy gun similar to your carry weapon and practice this (if you are concerned that you may have to engage a target while seated in your vehicle). Draw timing can be critical if the bad guy is within "bad breath" range but as I always preach, the first part of self defense is situational awareness and confrontation avoidance don't pull up to that bumper at a stoplight, observe your mirrors while stopped, all that good stuff. Neither of these draw options are particularly fast but we are at a disadvantage while seated and buckled in a car...attention to detail...learn it, love it, live it (none of us are perfect but try to avoid complacency).

Lastly, various holster makers make a couple nice car holsters. One holster actually sits in front of the seat between your legs, strapping across the length of the seat. The other that I've seen attaches to the driver side car door.
    Porsche, there is no substitute

(Monroe County)

Here is how I drive while wearing my IWB holster with my P229. I wear it at the 12:30/ 1:00 position.

I put the lap belt behind my holster and either pull my shirt over my gun, or I don't, but it provides me with full access while sitting and driving.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Allegheny County)

I can't really recommend cross draw for daily carry, but it may work in some applications. I am a fan of appendix carry which may work for you depending on the rig. It seems to conceal well, is fast on the draw, and keeps a fluid range of motion.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Here is how I drive while wearing my IWB holster with my P229. I wear it at the 12:30/ 1:00 position.

I put the lap belt behind my holster and either pull my shirt over my gun, or I don't, but it provides me with full access while sitting and driving.
    I have to say that this would be a little uncomfortable for me. But, with a larger handgun it looks easier than 4 o'clock, where I carry my Kahr. I chose the Kahr for carry because of it's smaller size. Lighter and easier to conceal. And, I can throw my seat belt around it IWB with no discomfort at all.

As for cross draw, I think it's a great idea for in the car carry. Chances are that if you need to draw in the car, the threat will be from the driver's side. Drawing across with the left being your strong side, you will already be aiming in the direction of the threat. In this case a cross draw will actually be a faster draw.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast