Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Intrested in purchasing suppressors, would it benefit me to create an estate or LLC ?

Hey everyone. I am interested in getting a suppressor for 2 of my rifles. An AR-15 and a FAL. This will be my first time buying anything like this that needs BATF approval and I have no clue how to really go about it. I know I need the $200 tax stamp. I live in Philadelphia and from what people tell me it's INSANLY hard to get these kind of approval's. Also the reason I haven't gotten my concealed carry as of yet. Can anyone tell me exactly what I have to do in order to purchase a suppressor ?? Any and ALL help is appreciated.

Also I have been told about creating a LLC or an estate, because I would not need to deal with going through the Philadelphia Police which would save me a GREAT deal of hassel. I did some slight research on a LLC, from what I gather I would be starting my own buisness and become a SOP payer ?? However I would also have to pay buisness taxes and all that...I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

I am interesed in possibly creating an estate, does anyone know what the cost would be, yearly/quaterly taxes like a buisness ?? Also if anyone knows how to go about starting one, or any websites that could take me through the steps of doing it.

My thinking is if I'm going to eventually buy 2 suppressors then I need 2 tax stamps, totaling $400. And for every purchase of something like this or to have a SBR I would have to pay for the tax stamp everytime. I would like to have a SBR or 2 also. Would it be better for me to start an estate, do I still have to pay the $200 for everything I purchase that requires the tax stamp ?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

EDIT: I have also heard of people talking about Trust's....is that something totally diffrent as well ??
    Last edited by PhilaShooter; May 27th, 2010 at 01:15 PM.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Intrested in purchasing suppressors, would it benefit me to create an estate or L

You will always have to pay $200 stamp for each item you own except for AOW ($5).

Since you are new to suppressors, I wouldn't run out and buy 2 for high velocity rifles unless you know what to expect. They will still be loud and still sound like guns. Not thundering, but they will sound like .22s at least. You could purcha$e/create subsonic loads. But since those calibers run 2 to 3 times the speed of sound, creating a subsonic load basically means you are using the wrong rifle for the job in most circumstances.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Intrested in purchasing suppressors, would it benefit me to create an estate or L

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    You will always have to pay $200 stamp for each item you own except for AOW ($5).

Since you are new to suppressors, I wouldn't run out and buy 2 for high velocity rifles unless you know what to expect. They will still be loud and still sound like guns. Not thundering, but they will sound like .22s at least. You could purcha$e/create subsonic loads. But since those calibers run 2 to 3 times the speed of sound, creating a subsonic load basically means you are using the wrong rifle for the job in most circumstances.

Thanks I appreciate your info. I was thinking of purchasing 1 first, after some more extensive research of course, what type, manufacturer ect... would be best for what I am looking for. I was thinking of getting one for the AR-15 first but then again I know it does help signifigantly with recoil also which would benefit the .308 more. Any suggestions as to which I should purchase first, one for the FAL or AR-15 ? Which one would be more effective ?

I do understand it will still sound like a gun firing, my hope was, at least for the .308, to reduce recoil, muzzle climb and of course sound. Also because a suppressor dispurses the gas better to reduce muzzle flash. If the sound of my .308 reduced to say a .22 or so that would be a huge diffrence, although not completly silent that's ok the other reasons I think will help improve with follow-up shots and shooting more efficently.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!