Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Milled vs. Stamped

What is the difference? Is one superior?

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Milled vs. Stamped

Milled cuts away existing metal from a block of metal. Stamped squashes the block of metal flat.

Which is better? Well, in twenty-five words or less, it all depends on what the finished piece is going to be used for. Both, due to the processes involved, possess differing metallurgical properties, strengths and weaknesses.

(York County)

milled AK-47 receivers are made from a block of heat treatable metal that has a final through-hardness of about 260BHN. they are cut to semi-final dimension in an annealed state, then heat treated to final hardness, and skim cut to final. they are tougher and mroe durable than any sheet metal receiver ever made.

stamped ak-47 receivers are made from 1mm or 1.6mm sheet metal, and are either spot hardened or full hardened after shaping. they generally run about 220 BHN, and are lighter than a milled receiver, but more prone to dimensional distortion by the rough handling common in battlefield conditions.

the AK-47 was originally designed and produced in russia with what is called a type 1 sheet metal receiver that is rebated on the front upper corners, effectively notched to allow for the embossed locking lug areas of the front trunion. this design was found to be prone to failure within 20K rounds service within 6 months of commencement of production, so milled receivers that had been developed in parallel replaced the type 1 for 2-3 years while the stamped design was refigured and trial tested. stamped guns then went back into production as type 3 with a flat sided trunion that eliminated the need for rebating the corners.

in china, the gun went into production in 1956 as the type 56 rifle, while the SKS went into production as the type 56 carbine. the chinese felt more comfortable with building machined receivers than stamped, so machined receivers remained in production in china until the 70's, while stamped receivers were produced in parallel beginning in the 60's. the type 81 ended production of the type 56, effectively, though most armed chinese soldiers still carry the 56, and front line soldiers have moved to a more modern design.

interestingly enough, there were a few sheet metal stamped receivered type 56 carbines produced, and some have found trheir way to USA. they are rarely seen and sell for 8000-1000$.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Milled cuts away existing metal from a block of metal. Stamped squashes the block of metal flat.

Which is better? Well, in twenty-five words or less, it all depends on what the finished piece is going to be used for. Both, due to the processes involved, possess differing metallurgical properties, strengths and weaknesses.
    Actually...that's 27 words!

LOL! Just messin' with ya, man

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    stamped ak-47 receivers are made from 1mm or 1.6mm sheet metal, and are either spot hardened or full hardened after shaping. They generally run about 220 BHN, and are lighter than a milled receiver.
    My Yugo underfolders are considerably heavier than my 1960 Polish Milled receiver models. Bill T.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    My Yugo underfolders are considerably heavier than my 1960 Polish Milled receiver models. Bill T.

Intresting, your Yugo's, which are stamped correct ?? They are heavier than your 1960 Polish milled ones ? Now why is that, I would figure especially with the underfolder compared to the full wood and the yugo being stamped it would be lighter, am I missing something here lol.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

Yes they're stamped. The reason I even mentioned it was yesterday I was moving some guns around into a new safe I'd purchased, and when I picked up the cases I thought I had the Polish Milled. I unzipped it and it was one of my Yugo underfolders. I know they are heavier than the Romanian underfolder models. That was apparent when I handled both at the shop were I bought them, (J&G Sales). The receiver metal does seem thicker on my Yugo's than on my GP-1975 Romanian's as well.

I should weigh them to get an exact figure. The underfolding stock on the Yugo's is quite thick as well. But I would think the solid wood buttstock on the Polish Milled would offset that. Bill T.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    Yes they're stamped. The reason I even mentioned it was yesterday I was moving some guns around into a new safe I'd purchased, and when I picked up the cases I thought I had the Polish Milled. I unzipped it and it was one of my Yugo underfolders. I know they are heavier than the Romanian underfolder models. That was apparent when I handled both at the shop were I bought them, (J&G Sales). The receiver metal does seem thicker on my Yugo's than on my GP-1975 Romanian's as well.

I should weigh them to get an exact figure. The underfolding stock on the Yugo's is quite thick as well. But I would think the solid wood buttstock on the Polish Milled would offset that. Bill T.

Yea that's exactly what I was thinking, about the stocks. I have been wanting a Yugo for a looooong time actually. I recently posted an ad in the Classifieds for a used AK and a guy contacted me and has a Yugo he never fired. Got it from a recent gun show in the Philadelphia area I believe. The only diffrence between his and your's is that his has a wooden stock. Which I actually do want a really nice wood furniture set that I can refinish in like a "Russian Red" color. I would probably also buy an original Yugo underfolder because the rifle set-up like that looks really nice IMO. VERY sadly I had to turn it down...although I believe it was a good price IIRC $600, right now with my finances I am looking at spending around $300-$350 As a matter of fact I just emailed him, thinking if in like a month he still has it I'll put the money aside and grab it, from my understanding Yugo's are becomming increasingly harder and harder to find ?
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post
    Which I actually do want a really nice wood furniture set that I can refinish in like a "Russian Red" color. from my understanding Yugo's are becomming increasingly harder and harder to find ?

This is a Lancaster Arms "Russian Red" I picked up just before Hussein's coronation. Lancaster builds a nice weapon, just don't try to deal direct with them. A lot of people have had trouble. If you or anyone you know wants one, get it from a local dealer who stocks them, or else Atlantic Firearms. They always have them in stock.

As far as I know J&G Sales always has a good supply of Yugo's on hand, as does Classic Arms. Both are reputable and good to deal with. Bill T.

(Delaware County)

So milled are more durable than stamped but stamped are lighter? Is that the main difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast