Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delaware!

(Chester County)

Default Delaware!

Hey all, I am in the process of getting a Florida CCDW permit so that I can carry concealed in DE as I do a lot of business there, but in the meantime, I've found references that state that:
    "Handguns may be carried in a in open view without a license (see Possession): in a holster on their person, or in an area in plain view while traveling in a vehicle, such as the dashboard or on the passenger seat.
    Handguns may also be stored in an inaccessible area of a vehicle, such as a trunk. Rifles and shotguns must be unloaded while being carried in or on any vehicle..."

My concern however is that I haven't seen the actual law that says this. Anybody know if a source for the DE law similar to what we have here at PAFOA for PA Law reference?

Also, my specific question would be that in my Jeep I have a steel locking center console. I am expecting that this would qualify as an inaccessible area (as long as it's locked)? I think if I got pulled I'd get a better response telling the officer I had a gun in the locked compartment, than him seeing it sitting on the seat in a strapped holster (I drive with the doors off all the time, so there's no way I'm just laying my Sig on the seat!)

Thoughts?

Default Re: Delaware!

Being from DE check out deloc.org its a great source for the laws in DE. I too have a Jeep, mine with a locking steel glovebox. I won't store it in there though as it's up to a cops discretion as to what is readily accessable. Your right in the correct response when transporting and pulled over with a firearm is to inform the officer first and foremost!

Whenever I am heading to the range or wherever, I just lay it in my case in the trunk area. not easy accessable by any means unless I stop, get out and retrieve it.

So your best bet is: Before crossing DE border, put it in the trunk. After exiting DE, re-conceal it. Once you get your FL permit you'll have no issues.

(Chester County)

Thanks! My issue is that the console is the only locking containment I have...

It sounds like the law I heard is accurate at least. It's helpful to know that I at least have the argument (since I'd have to turn the car off, take the keys out, open the box) that it's not accessible.

Thanks for the input!

(Jefferson County)

It wouldn't hurt to get the FL license even though DE allows OC and vehicle transporting(under certain conditions).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bmel17 View Post
    Your right in the correct response when transporting and pulled over with a firearm is to inform the officer first and foremost!
    I didn't think DE was a must inform state. Is there a statute that says you must inform an officer during a traffic stop?
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    I didn't think DE was a must inform state. Is there a statute that says you must inform an officer during a traffic stop?
    You are correct...it is NOT a must inform state...

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    it's not. I just don't like to chance it because if your getting pulled for a violation or anything it will significantly piss the cop off. Seen it happen and my buddies that are police give me the info to keep me from getting in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by 229Mick View Post
    Thanks! My issue is that the console is the only locking containment I have...

It sounds like the law I heard is accurate at least. It's helpful to know that I at least have the argument (since I'd have to turn the car off, take the keys out, open the box) that it's not accessible.

Thanks for the input!
    Gotcha. yeah the lockable storage in a Jeep is a pain..... another good option is a steel ammo box bolted to the tub with a lock. or one of those tuffy speaker security boxes.

playing devils advocate- I have a quick release key chain. my keys are in the ignition and still have easy accessibility.

Do you work in DE?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    You are correct...it is NOT a must inform state...
    Yeah I just did some more checking on the laws in DE as I am headed there on occassion in the future to visit my parents. No duty to inform laws.

I'm NOT going (or trying) to start that debate here in this thread again - just wanted to know the law. Thanks.

I have my Utah Permit so no "in plain sight" in the vheicle carry is required for me.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Chester County)

Yea, I have an office and client in DE, so I'm down there often. In fact, that's where my PC sales is run out of (meaning the company is founded there and dell ships to there so I don't have to charge tax), so there are times I'm picking up $3000 worth of computers at midnight... Think I'll leave it on the seat those nights!!

I actually do have the Tuffy box, but without the speaker. It's a copy of the stock box except in the heavy steel and lock.

Your 'devils advocate' made me chuckle... I was thinking through the same thing because I have a quick release on my chain as well. I figured if I have to get in a wreck to access it though, I'm probably still legal! Funny old world.

Thanks for the input guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast