Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default What? TWO Jersey threads? Yup.

Question on Jersey. I have a client in Marlton, and I need to visit them once in a while. I'm looking at their law, and they have similar provision as the Delaware that 'transporting a firearm to or through Jersey you must have it in a locked inaccessible containment'. Does that mean if I put my carry piece in the trunk on the PA side of the bridge (well, since I cross over at Chester, maybe just over the bridge!) and keep it unloaded and secured, I'm OK as long as I leave it there till I return, or are those provision specifically for folks who are traveling from state to state and passing through Jersey, and /or for folks who are going to a range in Jersey?

(Indiana County)

Default Re: What? TWO Jersey threads? Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by 229Mick View Post
    Question on Jersey. I have a client in Marlton, and I need to visit them once in a while. I'm looking at their law, and they have similar provision as the Delaware that 'transporting a firearm to or through Jersey you must have it in a locked inaccessible containment'. Does that mean if I put my carry piece in the trunk on the PA side of the bridge (well, since I cross over at Chester, maybe just over the bridge!) and keep it unloaded and secured, I'm OK as long as I leave it there till I return, or are those provision specifically for folks who are traveling from state to state and passing through Jersey, and /or for folks who are going to a range in Jersey?
    Do not take your gun into Jersey!
    NRA life member/ILA/PVA/Whittington Center sponsor
    GOA member/Second Amendment Foundation member
    NAHC life member/KECA founding committee member

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 229Mick View Post
    Bold is correct.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the confirmation guys...

(Berks County)

This has been beaten to death, I AM NOT A LAWYER your interpretations are your responsibility, but I personally disagree with the previous posts. Is it possible you will get arrested and thousands of dollars later be found of no wrong doing? Possibly. Do you want to take the risk of a cop not knowing the law and you spending time in jail until the judges and lawyers figure it all out? Probably not. But here it is right from the NJSP web page, take it how you want.
    http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by matty70 View Post
    This has been beaten to death, I AM NOT A LAWYER your interpretations are your responsibility, but I personally disagree with the previous posts. Is it possible you will get arrested and thousands of dollars later be found of no wrong doing? Possibly. Do you want to take the risk of a cop not knowing the law and you spending time in jail until the judges and lawyers figure it all out? Probably not. But here it is right from the NJSP web page, take it how you want.
    http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html
    That cite is infamous for being very misleading. 2C:39-6g does prescribe how to transport firearms in NJ for four very specific exemptions to the possession prohibitions:

NJSA 2C:39-6g.All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
    The ONLY four exemptions to which it applies

b(2)A licensed dealer in firearms and his registered employees during the course of their normal business while traveling to and from their place of business and other places for the purpose of demonstration, exhibition or delivery in connection with a sale, provided, however, that the weapon is carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section.

e.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.
    f.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1)A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:
    (a)Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b)Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

(c)In the case of a firearm, directly to or from any exhibition or display of firearms which is sponsored by any law enforcement agency, any rifle or pistol club, or any firearms collectors club, for the purpose of displaying the firearms to the public or to the members of the organization or club, provided, however, that not less than 30 days prior to the exhibition or display, notice of the exhibition or display shall be given to the Superintendent of the State Police by the sponsoring organization or club, and the sponsor has complied with such reasonable safety regulations as the superintendent may promulgate. Any firearms transported pursuant to this section shall be transported in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;
    If you don't qualify under one of those four exemptions then the transport mechanism of 6g is moot. Note the very specific cross-references in each case to 6g and 6g's back reference to them.

Unless you qualify under an NJ 2C:39-6 professional/activity exemption or hold an NJ CCW (for handguns) or NJFID (for longarms) its a 5 year felony to POSSESS in the state with the exception of those travelling under 18 USC 926A (FOPA) while NJ is an intervening state of the trip.
    Last edited by tl_3237; October 10th, 2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typo
    IANAL

(Chester County)

Wow, the United States of America really DOES end at the Delaware River, doesn't it.

I'm at the client now and I feel a little naked and a little scared. Glad to know only the criminals have guns!

Sarcasm aside, thanks for the detailed explanation!

Mick