Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delaware!

Default Re: Delaware!

Quote Originally Posted by 229Mick View Post
    Hey all, I am in the process of getting a Florida CCDW permit so that I can carry concealed in DE as I do a lot of business there, but in the meantime, I've found references that state that:
    "Handguns may be carried in a in open view without a license (see Possession): in a holster on their person, or in an area in plain view while traveling in a vehicle, such as the dashboard or on the passenger seat.
    Handguns may also be stored in an inaccessible area of a vehicle, such as a trunk. Rifles and shotguns must be unloaded while being carried in or on any vehicle..."
    OC in a vehicle- dash or passenger seat is fine. It's not a law, but a court decision defining 'in plain view'.
    http://www.deloc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=424
    As far as in a holster that hasn't ever been decided by a court so it could possibly be considered not in plain view.

The second part is typical interstate transportation laws. We do have something that came from the fish and game commission (state law) about not even having a loaded shotgun or rifle leaning up against a vehicle. So, no hunting from a vehicle and no loaded longguns hanging in the back widow of a pickup truck type stuff too.

I'd have to look because it's not where you'd think it would be in the Delaware code. But it has been pointed out to me, I saw and read it and thought it stupid, but it is a law.

My concern however is that I haven't seen the actual law that says this. Anybody know if a source for the DE law similar to what we have here at PAFOA for PA Law reference?

Also, my specific question would be that in my Jeep I have a steel locking center console. I am expecting that this would qualify as an inaccessible area (as long as it's locked)? I think if I got pulled I'd get a better response telling the officer I had a gun in the locked compartment, than him seeing it sitting on the seat in a strapped holster (I drive with the doors off all the time, so there's no way I'm just laying my Sig on the seat!)

Inaccessible means not within arms reach, which pretty much excludes most of the area in a jeep. About the only area in a jeep would be behind the back seat. I've seen some locked boxes that are made for that area. I travel all the time in my Jeep. My handgun is always on me, OC/CC with a license. Long guns just piled into the back, no back seat and ammo in a range bag on the floor.

Thoughts?
    Several members at ;http://www.deloc.org/forums/ have been creative in how they mount a holster to a dash or clipboard and using a mouse pad or such to keep the gun from sliding around. But this is for OC. CC is different.

If you have one of the licenses that De recognizes with reciprocity then just conceal it. It doesn't have to be locked up. There is no duty to inform, though if they ask you to step out of the vehicle things have changed and it's better, then, to inform and ask how they'd like to proceed. Nothing gained by telling them of the cc'd weapon or showing them the license when that's not why you were pulled over. Extra information just peaks there interest and suspicion.

Most everything in the Delaware law can be found here:
    http://delcode.delaware.gov/
    1441 to 1459 cover most of our gun laws.
    http://delcode.delaware.gov/title11/...07/index.shtml
    The loaded longguns near a vehicle is here:at 708
    http://delcode.delaware.gov/title7/c...01/index.shtml
    Last edited by stephpd; May 27th, 2010 at 08:12 AM.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

(Chester County)

Thanks! And just to clarify, I don't have the Florida permit yet, so I'm just trying to think through my options till it arrives. Good info.

(Chester County)

If you have a jeep you can build some lockable storage...

3/16" steel, bolted to the floor with carriage bolts and sealed by the locking tailgate. I can stand on the box and feel secure leaving valuables in it. Upside is you have no backseat passengers

Hoplophobia is funny

You guys should get on Jeepforum.com it's a great site for Jeep stuff. Do you guys get off the pavement much?

(Chester County)

As much as possible, nott as much dirt in Chester County as there used to be!

91 Jeep Wrangler. Not in the best of shape but it gets me to work and back. It had fun in the snow this last winter since I don't have the option of missing work if weather gets bad.

Don't think my Jeep has ever been off road.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12