Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default All Copper Bullets: anyone tried them?

I keep seeing ads for "Barnes X-Bullet", an all copper bullet that is supposed to be great.. at least according to the ad. Anyone here used them or seen them in action? Also, anyone tried to make an all copper bullet?

Some links for the "X-Bullet":

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...547&t=11082005

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000PW7LE6

(Centre County)

Default Re: All Copper Bullets: anyone tried them?

I have heard reports from the internet that they are some of the best expanders around, but i have no personal experience. I would love some .40S&Ws but i've only seen them in 140gr and i would like at least 155gr.

I have some experience with the Barnes X bullets, and they are AWESOME. I first saw them in some bullets made by Taurus. They are a little slow moving in the Taurus loading for some people's taste, but they will get the job done. I have tested the bullets on coyotes, rabbits, and a friend used one on a dog that he needed to put down, and wild hogs (they killed all targets with one shot). They were VERY effective. I wanted to see how they expanded and tried some on wet phone books and shot some into water bottles that were in front of sand, they expanded beautifully. Most bullets will expand in the water bottle condition, but I was more curious to see what they looked like expanded. I will post a video of what they did here, on a few conditions. These were 185 grain bullets, at the time it was the heaviest that they were making in the .45 ACP caliber. I believe that they now make 200 grainers, but I am not sure. I know this isn't everybody's cup of tea since some people like 230 grain bullets, but if you like the lighter and faster bullets, these will get the job done.

This is me shooting at a 2 liter water bottle from a little ways. I missed the first shot, my sister is jumping around hiding from a bee and so I was trying to watch her out of the corner of my eye so I missed the second shot. The third hits its mark and really shows you what this hollow point can do. I also know that it appears that I begin to walk towards the targets as my friend Wade fires on it. I NEVER intended to walk to the target and merely took a step towards it as I turned to go back to my pickup, so please no comments on how dangerous this was, etc. I post this video for someone so they can see what these bullets do. Here is a photo of what the bullets look like expanded and the videos are after the photos.

I missed (coke bottle from 15 yards) with the one that is flat, it hit a rock and did not have the chance to expand, the other hit the water bottle and then sand, it is the expanded one.

Shooting the bottle>> http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...owPointbee.flv

The bottle after it was hit >>> http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...ointDamage.flv

Note: The second bottle that my buddy wade is shooting is being shot with 9mm fmj's, so they don't have the same effect. I was also new to pistol shooting and had less than 200 rounds through a pistol at the time of this video, so I have terrible form and am now much better and shooting isoscoles.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; October 3rd, 2007 at 09:50 PM.

(Berks County)

I hate to say something bad but I tried them and my rifle did not like them I shoot a Savage 7mm-08, but other people have had good luck. They did not group very well and a lot of recoil.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I have some experience with the Barnes X bullets, and they are AWESOME. I first saw them in some bullets made by Taurus. They are a little slow moving in the Taurus loading for some people's taste, but they will get the job done. I have tested the bullets on coyotes, rabbits, and a friend used one on a dog that he needed to put down, and wild hogs (they killed all targets with one shot). They were VERY effective. I wanted to see how they expanded and tried some on wet phone books and shot some into water bottles that were in front of sand, they expanded beautifully. Most bullets will expand in the water bottle condition, but I was more curious to see what they looked like expanded. I will post a video of what they did here, on a few conditions. These were 185 grain bullets, at the time it was the heaviest that they were making in the .45 ACP caliber. I believe that they now make 200 grainers, but I am not sure. I know this isn't everybody's cup of tea since some people like 230 grain bullets, but if you like the lighter and faster bullets, these will get the job done.

This is me shooting at a 2 liter water bottle from a little ways. I missed the first shot, my sister is jumping around hiding from a bee and so I was trying to watch her out of the corner of my eye so I missed the second shot. The third hits its mark and really shows you what this hollow point can do. I also know that it appears that I begin to walk towards the targets as my friend Wade fires on it. I NEVER intended to walk to the target and merely took a step towards it as I turned to go back to my pickup, so please no comments on how dangerous this was, etc. I post this video for someone so they can see what these bullets do. Here is a photo of what the bullets look like expanded and the videos are after the photos.

I missed (coke bottle from 15 yards) with the one that is flat, it hit a rock and did not have the chance to expand, the other hit the water bottle and then sand, it is the expanded one.

Shooting the bottle>> http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...owPointbee.flv

The bottle after it was hit >>> http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...ointDamage.flv

Note: The second bottle that my buddy wade is shooting is being shot with 9mm fmj's, so they don't have the same effect. I was also new to pistol shooting and had less than 200 rounds through a pistol at the time of this video, so I have terrible form and am now much better and shooting isoscoles.
    A decided advantage over something like an sxt ranger? For the price I couldnt justify using a copper bullet.

I actually purchased these bullets on sale for quite cheap and wanted to test them out. I wouldn't say that it necessarily has an advantage over the SXT's. One night thing about the solid copper bullet is that it cannot undergo jacket seperation because it has no jacket. This isn't something that usually happens in most defensive situations, but if you ever have to shoot through glass it will almost definately occur with a jacketed bullet. Other than that, I can't really see much of an advantage to this bullet other than your pistol of choice might shoot it better than some others.