Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Lentz to introduce legislation "to strengthen gun permit law" in PA

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...0512856017.txt

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but I haven't been around much lately. Forgive me if it's a duplicate.

Lentz to introduce legislation to strengthen gun permit law in Pennsylvania

Published: Thursday, May 20, 2010

HARRISBURG – State Rep. Bryan R. Lentz, D-Delaware, will introduce legislation that would prohibit Pennsylvania residents from carrying a firearm if they have been denied a "license to carry" by the Commonwealth.

Current law allows a person to carry a firearm if he or she possesses a valid license or permit issued by another state -- regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state.

"This exception provides an opportunity for Pennsylvania residents to legally carry a firearm in the Commonwealth even when they have been denied or revoked a 'license to carry' by Pennsylvania authorities," Lentz said. "Pennsylvania residents who have been denied or revoked a license to carry, for whatever reason, have used this loophole to purchase a license and firearms in another state.

"I believe this legislation is necessary to ensure that local authorities retain control over the permit process and that Pennsylvania residents who are granted a license to carry have met the standards of our state and not those of another state whose standards may be less than ours," Lentz continued. "It will also prevent individuals circumventing our system from obtaining out-of-state permits to commit crimes in the Commonwealth."

Lentz cited an incident in which a man was arrested in a rental car at a Pennsylvania airport with a loaded AK-47 in the car.

"This man had a Pennsylvania license to carry, and it was subsequently revoked," Lentz explained. "While his case was pending, he obtained a Florida license to carry by mail and later was stopped by Philadelphia police in a car with another loaded firearm. There was no arrest, however – even though his Pennsylvania license to carry had been revoked – because he now had a Florida license to carry. It's a perfect illustration of why my legislation is necessary."

Lentz is a former prosecutor with the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office.
    What a fool. A loaded AK-47 in a vehicle would be a violation of §6106.1, unless it is an SBR. It seems as though Lentz believes you need a license to purchase a firearm.

And the section in blue is incorrect too. There isn't much that is correct in the article.

(IANAL)

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Lentz to introduce legislation "to strengthen gun permit law" in PA

Give me 5 minutes and I will have the full text posted. Then see the thread in this section titled HB 2536 Offered.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

Default Re: Lentz to introduce legislation "to strengthen gun permit law" in PA

Doh! I didn't see that it was related to this. Can someone merge the threads?