Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wal-Mart greeter encounter.

A couple days ago, my buddy and I were about to go to the range, but had to stop at wal-mart first. We were both OC'ing, and both had on boots with our pants tucked in. It just rained the night before, and we knew the range was going to be a swamp.

Needless to say, we walked in, and the greeter saw our pistols, but didn't say anything about it. I smiled at her and said hello, and she said hi back. We didn't find what my friend was looking for, so we were walking back out. On the way out, she says...

Her: "Did you find what you're looking for? Are those real guns?" (almost as one complete question)
    Me: "No, we didn't find what we were looking for, and yes, they are real guns."
    Her: "Are you a cop?" (Polite, but kinda skeptical look on her face)
    Me: "No, just a citizen concerned with his safety." (Polite with a smile)
    Her: "Are you military?" (Pointing at our boots)
    Me: (Laughing a little) "No, its just going to be muddy at the range."
    Her: "But those are real? What kind is it?"
    Me: "Yes, they are real, mine is a Sig P229, 9mm, and his is a HK USP Compact 9mm."
    Her: "But they just stun people, right?"
    Me: "No ma'am, they are real guns that shoot bullets." (chuckling, while still trying to put it as simply as possible)
    Her: "Oh, ok. Well, I hope you have a nice day!"

I replied with a "You too!" and we walked outta the store and laughed on the way to the car. We decided that the way she phrased the initial question was because she wanted us to say "No, they aren't real guns", rather than just "No, you didn't have what we were looking for". It wasn't a bad encounter, and I half wondered whether she was genuinely interested in knowing more, or just trying to decide whether she should call her manager. Never found out though, and no one was called. Wouldn't have mattered anyways, as we were on our way out, but still.

But other than that, we had no other comments the rest of the day, which is the way it should be!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Wal-Mart greeter encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by blankexistance View Post
    LOL HAHAHAHAHA!!!! ROFL!!!

That is too funny. I will have to use that sometime.

I don't think I could keep from laughing in the greeter's face if I was asked such a stupid question. A good encounter though I guess.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Delaware County)

WalMart greeters are never taken seriously, even when the "We're sorry, you've activated WalMart's merchandise protection system" alarm goes off. She probably was just happy to be able to talk to someone who wasn't ignoring her.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    WalMart greeters are never taken seriously, even when the "We're sorry, you've activated WalMart's merchandise protection system" alarm goes off. She probably was just happy to be able to talk to someone who wasn't ignoring her.
    lol

I am always nice to them and say hi or nod my head. I have never been stopped by one for OC though.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Himni View Post
    lol

I am always nice to them and say hi or nod my head. I have never been stopped by one for OC though.
    Oh, I always make a point to say hello. It's just rare to find one with the cognitive capacity to make conversation beyond, "Welcome to Wal*Mart..."

Although, to be fair, my buddy Josh is a WM greeter at my local store, and he's extremely intelligent. He's just in a Stephen Hawking chair.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by blankexistance View Post
    A couple days ago, my buddy and I were about to go to the range, but had to stop at wal-mart first. We were both OC'ing, and both had on boots with our pants tucked in. It just rained the night before, and we knew the range was going to be a swamp.

Needless to say, we walked in, and the greeter saw our pistols, but didn't say anything about it. I smiled at her and said hello, and she said hi back. We didn't find what my friend was looking for, so we were walking back out. On the way out, she says...

Her: "Did you find what you're looking for? Are those real guns?" (almost as one complete question)
    Me: "No, we didn't find what we were looking for, and yes, they are real guns."
    Her: "Are you a cop?" (Polite, but kinda skeptical look on her face)
    Me: "No, just a citizen concerned with his safety." (Polite with a smile)
    Her: "Are you military?" (Pointing at our boots)
    Me: (Laughing a little) "No, its just going to be muddy at the range."
    Her: "But those are real? What kind is it?"
    Me: "Yes, they are real, mine is a Sig P229, 9mm, and his is a HK USP Compact 9mm."

Me: "No ma'am, they are real guns that shoot bullets." (chuckling, while still trying to put it as simply as possible)
    Her: "Oh, ok. Well, I hope you have a nice day!"

I replied with a "You too!" and we walked outta the store and laughed on the way to the car. We decided that the way she phrased the initial question was because she wanted us to say "No, they aren't real guns", rather than just "No, you didn't have what we were looking for". It wasn't a bad encounter, and I half wondered whether she was genuinely interested in knowing more, or just trying to decide whether she should call her manager. Never found out though, and no one was called. Wouldn't have mattered anyways, as we were on our way out, but still.

But other than that, we had no other comments the rest of the day, which is the way it should be!
    Even Walmart greeters only know that a 9mm is a stun gun..... [sarcasm]
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Even Walmart greeters only know that a 9mm is a stun gun..... [sarcasm]

HAHA LOL!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Oh, I always make a point to say hello. It's just rare to find one with the cognitive capacity to make conversation beyond, "Welcome to Wal*Mart..."

Although, to be fair, my buddy Josh is a WM greeter at my local store, and he's extremely intelligent. He's just in a Stephen Hawking chair.
    So, Josh is the guys name at the Hiltown WM?

He's always very polite with the typical hello and good bye. I always say hey to him too. It's honestly great to see people with disabilities out and about instead of being held up in their home.

(Delaware County)

Josh is awesome! Honestly, he breaks the mold, if you ask me. He's one of the friendliest guys I know. I try to stop and chat with him when I have the time.

(Lancaster County)

Talking Re: Wal-Mart greeter encounter.

I remember Josh from when I lived in Silverdale. I'm in Ephrata, Lancaster Co. now. No Steven Hawkins chairs here but our Walmart has a stable for the buggy teams (as does just about every other business.....or at least a hitching post). That always makes me smile.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast