Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Glock 19: I'm shooting to 9 O'clock, but Sights Appear On

Background:
    I own a CZ-75, a SIG-Sauer P229 (.40 S&W), and a SIG-Sauer P220 (.45 ACP). I recently picked up a Glock 19, because:

1) Can you really build any kind of collection, and not include a Glock? It's like a guitar player/collector not having both a Fender Stratocaster, and a Gibson Les Paul.
    2) It feels amazing in terms of allowing for a natural thumbs-forward grip.

Took it to the range, and my grouping is great. All within +/- 1 or 2 inches. My consistency is great. But, all of my shots are landing directly left of target. Elevation is perfect. I'm inclined to think this is because of the different trigger feel on the Glock, and that despite my best efforts, I'm not doing an even, straight-back, smooth motion pull.

The 19 has fixed night sights, and another shooter (who primarily shoots a glock) was on target, so while I suppose I could have the rear sight drifted right, I don't want to compensate the sights for me, when it appears I am the problem.

Any tips for transitioning to a Glock trigger from other pistols, that would improve my accuracy?

As always, thanks!

Mark
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Glock 19: I'm shooting to 9 O'clock, but Sights Appear On

always adjust your gun to shoot best for you. everyone uses the sights differently. how do you know the other shooter didnt compensate for the sights?

OTOH: you probably are "pushing" the gun during the trigger pull since you're not used to the trigger itself, or overcompensating with your support hand which is probably the case.

(Allegheny County)

Slow down your trigger pull (painfully slow) and see what happens. Sounds to me like you're pushing the gun left with the trigger. You could also bench it to see if it's truly you or the gun.
    Toujours prêt

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    always adjust your gun to shoot best for you. everyone uses the sights differently. how do you know the other shooter didnt compensate for the sights?
    Good point, and I have considered having the rear sites pushed a bit to the right. Even though there aren't a lot of fancy tools required, I have none of them, and I'm pretty sure I'd scratch it at the least, and ruin it at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    OTOH: you probably are "pushing" the gun during the trigger pull since you're not used to the trigger itself, or overcompensating with your support hand which is probably the case.
    Yeah, I think more shooting is in order, paying really close attention to my trigger pull, as you said. Being right-handed, wouldn't I be shooting to 3 O'clock if I was over compensating with my left/support hand? Hmm.

Thanks,
    Mark
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Slow down your trigger pull (painfully slow) and see what happens. Sounds to me like you're pushing the gun left with the trigger. You could also bench it to see if it's truly you or the gun.
    Thanks. That (pushing left due to an uneven trigger pull) is what I suspect. Can't wait to get back to the range to do some more testing. Maybe tomorrow night.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Good point, and I have considered having the rear sites pushed a bit to the right. Even though there aren't a lot of fancy tools required, I have none of them, and I'm pretty sure I'd scratch it at the least, and ruin it at worst.

Yeah, I think more shooting is in order, paying really close attention to my trigger pull, as you said. Being right-handed, wouldn't I be shooting to 3 O'clock if I was over compensating with my left/support hand? Hmm.

Thanks,
    Mark
    not if you were actually pulling with your left hand. it happens.

(Beaver County)

check these out:
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Montgomery County)

When you go to the range, take a friend. Let someone else shoot the Glock to see if another shooter is getting the same results. Plus, shooting with friends can be fun
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

try it from a bench. and, if you happen to know anyone who shoots a glock (esp. a G19) regularly, have them shoot it and see if it does the same for them.

also, how far left is it hitting and at what distance?

the trigger is different, so there is definitely a possibility that it is all you. however, many glocks do shoot a bit left from the factory and often the rear sight needs to be moved ever so slightly to the right.
    F*S=k

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    When you go to the range, take a friend. Let someone else shoot the Glock to see if another shooter is getting the same results. Plus, shooting with friends can be fun
    Thanks Steve. I did go (and almost always do) with a friend. He shot it, and was pretty much dead on target, so it does look like it's me. Then again, for me, having the rear sight pushed slightly right as LittleRedToyota mentions below, would probably work just fine. I tend to not want to compensate the sights for me though, if I feel certain enough that it is in fact me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast