I was looking at AR-10 not that long ago, I was turned off because of the negative things I had heard about them though and the price for a nice one was a little too high for me. I recently purchased my first AR platform, a Stag Arms 20" barrel, left handed. I have more of an appreciation for the AR platform now owning one and getting a better understanding of how one functions and what is needed to keep it reliable and running smooth.

While buying one already complete, from a good manufacturer is still too much for me to spend all at once, I am thinking if I can buy the parts separatly, and over time, it would actually be a plus as I could build it exactly how I wanted. There would still be a few things that I would require to have done by a certified gunsmith, such as setting the barrel and things like that, that require specific tools and precise work. Most of the things I could do on my own.

I was also thinking of buying a striped lower and putting it all together myself. Then maybe settling on buying a complete upper as it would probably be easier then trying to put one together with setting the barrel and all that, by the time I buy all the upper parts and pay a gunsmith to do the barrel work the cost would be close to the same as just buying it complete.

If anyone has any information or opinion on what parts and where I should get the parts needed it would be a huge help and much appreciated. I have been thinking about it for a while now and today I am going to do some extensive research as to who makes the parts I will need and what exactly I want to use. I'm thinking of starting with the lower since I am building that up on my own. So if anyone knows any good manufacturer's and/or websites that sell stripped lowers and the parts needed to complete it I am all ears .

Again I appreciate any and all help and Thank you in advance.