Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Inquiring about building an AR-10, from scratch

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I've priced out an AR10 build before.. ..costs were more than a pre-made DPMS unit.

I'd avoid a forward assist with a 7.72nato/308 AR - bad things can happen.

Really, ok thank you for that infro. If it's not a good choice then by all means I will not get it.

What I am looking at getting from this AR-10 is a LR accurate rifle. What I am considering doing instead of building it completly from scratch is buying an almost complete lower, minus the buttstock. Having an upgraded trigger, ambi saftey and also a diffrent grip. The reason I want to get it without the buttstock is because I would like to put a stock on there that has a cheek piece and some adjustment in lenght, which is why the Magpul PRS was the one I mentioned. While buying it without the factory stock may only save $100-$150 there is really no point in buying it with the factory stock since I do not intend to use it at all, and I could put the money towards a stock of my personal choice.

As for the upper, I would like to get the best possible barrel of course. I am still researching Bull vs Flutted as I have never had any previous dealings with them. As far as handguards I would like a free floating quad rail as of right now. Also an adjustable gas block and upgraded charging handle.

Also since I've been laid off over a year and a half I know I can not just throw all this money out at once...HOWEVER I do not want to just settle for a "factory" rifle if it's not really what I want. Especially since I will just have to replace things with what I do want and it will wind up costing me even more money. My thinking is choose each thing wisely, I want to upgrade those things that will improve the rifle and improve my shooting. Once I know exactly what I want on the lower I can get a price for it, save up, and in a few weeks purchase it. And the same for the upper as well. If what I choose costs $2,000 then I know I need that and can put it aside.

While buying a "factory" AR-10 would be the cheapiest route to go, it's not exactly what I am looking for. I want a rifle that is as reliable, accurate and comfortable as possible. If I have to spend an extra few hundred bucks that's fine, even an extra grand. By doing this NOW I know I will have the rifle hopefully forever and I won't need to change a single thing about it. I won't be looking for diffrent handguards or charging handles because I already have a rifle that is exactly what I prefer. In the long run I will actually save money.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, thanks again.
    Last edited by PhilaShooter; May 26th, 2010 at 05:15 PM.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12