Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default I want to shoot steel!

I'm getting ready to buy some steel targets and some frangible rounds. Anybody here have experience with qualitytargets.com? they seem to have very reasonable prices on AR500 targets. Do you know of somewhere with better prices?

Also, anybody reload sinterfire frangible bullets? How are they? The seem pretty inexpensive on frangibleammo.com compared to other options out there. I emailed them to ask for load data, and they referred me to ramshot, who says to use xterminator or tac. Any experience with this, and/or advice?

thanks,

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I want to shoot steel!

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    I'm getting ready to buy some steel targets and some frangible rounds. Anybody here have experience with qualitytargets.com? they seem to have very reasonable prices on AR500 targets. Do you know of somewhere with better prices?

Also, anybody reload sinterfire frangible bullets? How are they? The seem pretty inexpensive on frangibleammo.com compared to other options out there. I emailed them to ask for load data, and they referred me to ramshot, who says to use xterminator or tac. Any experience with this, and/or advice?

thanks,
    ham,

there should be quite a few threads that go over shooting steel.

Some of us regurgitate the same old info quite a few times. That is probably the reason for lack of response to your thread.

I'm not familiar with that particular supplier.

Most of us don't buy ammo specific for shooting steel. We use what we always shoot.

I refer to the MGM target website for a pretty in depth discussion about steel in general as well as their targets and pricing.

Perhaps others can go into more detail about your specific questions.

27hand

(Allegheny County)

27hand,
    thanks for the response.

My buddies camp I go to doesn't really have an area that would allow for shooting from 100+yards and my club doesn't allow steel either, so i'm kinda stuck. So it's looking like it'll be close range, 15-25 yards, with an AR15, so I don't have a choice but to use frangible rounds and very hard steel. Man, I really need to talk the wife into going along with me buying some property.

I've been looking for a cheap source of AR500 steel, I might try calling Allegheny Ludlum to see if they sell scrap pieces of their armor plate. Otherwise I'll give that guy from quality targets a shot.

I've been looking at old threads on the subject for a few months, which is how I found out about 100 yards for normal rifle ammo being the safe distance and the necessity for AR500. There's not too much mention of frangible ammo though, except lycan a few times saying he's had good success with sintered rounds and rolling his own.

27hand,
    thanks for the response.

My buddies camp I go to doesn't really have an area that would allow for shooting from 100+yards and my club doesn't allow steel either, so i'm kinda stuck. So it's looking like it'll be close range, 15-25 yards, with an AR15, so I don't have a choice but to use frangible rounds and very hard steel. Man, I really need to talk the wife into going along with me buying some property.

I've been looking for a cheap source of AR500 steel, I might try calling Allegheny Ludlum to see if they sell scrap pieces of their armor plate. Otherwise I'll give that guy from quality targets a shot.

I've been looking at old threads on the subject for a few months, which is how I found out about 100 yards for normal rifle ammo being the safe distance and the necessity for AR500. There's not too much mention of frangible ammo though, except lycan a few times saying he's had good success with sintered rounds and rolling his own.
    join pmsc, we've got all kinds of steel

(Allegheny County)

27hand,
    thanks for the response.

http://www.mgmtargets.com/products/p...page.php?cat=1
    I have 2 of the Colt Speed Plates which reset after each hit

http://www.themetalman.com/index.html

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm? ... =16|49|890

There is a guy on TheHighRoad that sells AR500 cut to order. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...25#post5571425
    I bought 5 of his 8" round by 3/8" thick plates for about $25 ea. His handle is mcosman on that site.

good luck

27hand
    Last edited by 27hand; May 28th, 2010 at 08:07 PM.