Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Why buy a 38 snub?

Since a 357 snub can easily fire any 38 shell you want to feed it, why buy the 38?

I've had this asked of me a few times recently and thought I would post this here to get some opinions. I generally go to "they are lighter" or "they are smaller" but is there something I'm missing?

On a related note, just to make this thread interesting, can we put together some kind of warning label on the ultra light 38's that say "if you are a 120 pound woman this gun will hurt your hand"? Or maybe "if you fire +p loads through this your hand will go numb"?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Why buy a 38 snub?

Well you nailed it with lighter and smaller. Not all .38s are lighter and smaller but they certainly can be made lighter and smaller, and for that reason many of them are. Two other factors are price, and the fact that many people buying a snub have no intention of shooting .357 as they like having feeling in their hand on most days. Most guns capable of firing .357 are more expensive than a same brand gun chambered in .38 only. These are both generalizations and by no means account for every single person and every single snub nose made, but I believe all four of those factors play a major role.

-Logan

(Northumberland County)

I got a smith 642 because it was inexpensive, light, and small. It is chambered for .38 +P

knowing how it feels to fire this gun, I wouldn't want a magnum...

(Berks County)

1. you do not have the grip strenght to manipulate an autoloading pistol.

2. hand or nerve damage that makes using an autoloading pistol problematic.

3. you are not in a extreme risk catagory who needs lots of firepower, but your postion requires that you are armed.

4. you have to carry a firearm constantly and cannot handle carrying large firearms

5. you are an armed professional and you need a secondary weapon/back up gun (BUG).

6. you do not have the time nessacary to dedicate to learing how to completely master a pistol, but you still need to be armed.

7. you look down on 22 or 25acp firearms.

8. you cannot handle the recoil from larger caliber revolvers.

9. you need a gun on you 24-7 and it must be small and lightweight.

10. better to be armed with a snub than to have your Custom Nighhawk Light Sabre and can opener locked up in your gun safe with the 40 watt plasma rifle you use for 'sqirrell hunting'

well thats all I can come up with for now

btw if recoil is THAT bad then either hand load some hollow base wadcutters with the base UP or just shoot wadcutters. It will get the job done WITH TRAINING....cough couhgh

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf View Post
    Since a 357 snub can easily fire any 38 shell you want to feed it, why buy the 38?

I've had this asked of me a few times recently and thought I would post this here to get some opinions. I generally go to "they are lighter" or "they are smaller" but is there something I'm missing?

On a related note, just to make this thread interesting, can we put together some kind of warning label on the ultra light 38's that say "if you are a 120 pound woman this gun will hurt your hand"? Or maybe "if you fire +p loads through this your hand will go numb"?

BRILLIANT!

You know its funny you started this thread.
    I went to the range yesterday with both my .9mm and .38. First I did a few thru the .9mm then I gave the .38 a chance, put through 5 FMJ'. Ok, it was painful.
    Then I put through 5 SJ hollows. AGONY! I thought my hand was broken.
    If I ever had to use the .38 in self defense, I would say to the BG, "hey asshole, this guns hurt me just as much as its hurt you".

(Northampton County)

I've been asking that question for years. I see no reason to buy a .38 as opposed to a small frame .357.

I've handled the scandium J frame snubbie .357....all 11 ounces of it. The only thing heavy about it was its price.

I might buy a .38 as a collector piece but for a shooter / carry piece it would be .357mag.

A .357 snubbie will go anywhere a .38 snubbie will go & give you the option of shooting either caliber.

However....that's just me. If a .38 makes someone else happy,that's their choice.

7. you look down on 22 or 25acp firearms.
    Yes I do....for defense.......but that's for another thread.
    Last edited by reverserboy; October 3rd, 2007 at 04:17 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf View Post

"they are smaller"
    Bingo.

but is there something I'm missing?
    If you are then so am I.

On a related note, just to make this thread interesting, can we put together some kind of warning label on the ultra light 38's that say "if you are a 120 pound woman this gun will hurt your hand"?
    I'd change it to "if you are a human being this gun will hurt your hand".

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    I'd change it to "if you are a human being this gun will hurt your hand".
    I fired one of those smith scandium 357's with magnum loads. Most miserable gun i've ever shot. even badwith 38's...but everyone recommends snub 38's for women.....

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    I fired one of those smith scandium 357's with magnum loads. Most miserable gun i've ever shot. even badwith 38's...but everyone recommends snub 38's for women.....
    agree'd I had the 340PD, and just sold it. It would cut my hand up, and just plain hurt.. I've shot 460's, .500's and none of them came close to that. TGH wouldn't even beable to handle it

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    agree'd I had the 340PD, and just sold it. It would cut my hand up, and just plain hurt.. I've shot 460's, .500's and none of them came close to that. TGH wouldn't even beable to handle it
    I have a 637 Smith, Even that beats the shit out of you.
    Recoil Happens

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast