Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Re: Why buy a 38 snub?

I have a 3 inch Chief's Special I bought as an off duty gun in 72 and can still tear up a man target at 50 yards, it has full 1/8 inch sights.

A 2 inch 357 is nothing but a LOUD,HARD kicking .38 lots of noise, lots of flash and kick, minimal differance in performance than a .38 spl. A .357 should be at least 3 inch and preferably 4 inch.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    [/B][/COLOR]

BRILLIANT!

You know its funny you started this thread.
    I went to the range yesterday with both my .9mm and .38. First I did a few thru the .9mm then I gave the .38 a chance, put through 5 FMJ'. Ok, it was painful.
    Then I put through 5 SJ hollows. AGONY! I thought my hand was broken.
    If I ever had to use the .38 in self defense, I would say to the BG, "hey asshole, this guns hurt me just as much as its hurt you".
    I agree it hurts while I'm shooting it, but I still LOVE my .38! I guess I must love PAIN! LOL

rand

(Centre County)

38 snubnose are for one reason and one reason only - Easily concealed selfdefence gun at close range.

Its not the gun you take it to target shooting with.
    Shoot 10~20rds at every range outing. rest stick it in the pocket and hope for the best.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lehigh County)

Come out to the Defensive Snubby class and we'll teach you how to fire the mouse gun without killing your hand. Bring 250 rounds or so.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Delaware County)

In a self defense situation, no single shot from a pistol of any caliber is a guaranteed man stopper unless placed in the central nervous system. The .38 has less recoil than the .357 and is easier to bring back to POA for a second shot. The .38 snubbie (S&W 642 for example) is small, light and easily concealed.

Here's a test for controlability: Rent a snubbie in .357. Using .357 ammo, put 5 rounds in a 5 inch circle from 5 yards in 5 seconds. Repeat the drill using .38 ammo. Which set was more accurate when done within the 5 second time frame?
    Last edited by glassman; October 3rd, 2007 at 08:14 PM.

(Armstrong County)

I own both a Taraus airlite .38 spl and S&W scandium .357. You know the S&W is gonna hurt when the 5 rounds of ammo weigh more than the gun. I wouldn't have bought a .38 if I'd had the money for the S&W. In my opinion a snub is the ultimate consealment gun, you can hide it anywhere. Size,weight, and a big caliber what else you need!

(Lancaster County)

Did any of you ever try shooting hot load .38 handloaded rounds out of a .38 cheif special? I did that about 3 weeks or so ago. I have to say it wasn't that bad, but I am not really sensitive to kick. I shot punishers .357 snubby and I love that thing. That is my favorite pistol! It doesn't kick all that hard and when it comes to puttin a hole in a mofo...Those .357 HP rounds will do it well.

Ladies and gents...If you are serious about your self defense, carry 2 firearms. Carry and glock in 9mm or .40 cal and a ruger sp101 .357....You will never come across a problem you cant handle!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Montell C. Williams View Post
    A 2 inch 357 is nothing but a LOUD,HARD kicking .38 lots of noise, lots of flash and kick, minimal difference in performance than a .38 spl. A .357 should be at least 3 inch and preferably 4 inch.
    I do have to respectfully disagree with this statement based on my own experience and that of some others:

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/38-snub_vs_357-snub.htm

Also, I while I'm no super man, putting 5 rounds in a 5 inch target in 5 seconds at 5 yards isn't that big a deal. A second a shot is an eternity. My sp101 is DAO and can pull that off in 3 seconds. Not to belabor this but if I had the single action sp101 I could cock the hammer between shots and still get them off one a second. Maybe TGH couldn't do it with his .500 and I probably couldn't do it with an ultra-lite smith (ok, I'm never firing a 357 from an ultra-lite... I like my hand too much) but...

(Lancaster County)

Well I live my life like this

If I shoot a gun that is powerful enough to rip my hand off....

Well i will have a damn good story to tell now wont I? Punisher said once to me that he will shoot anything, I am starting to see things the same way!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf View Post
    Also, I while I'm no super man, putting 5 rounds in a 5 inch target in 5 seconds at 5 yards isn't that big a deal. (ok, I'm never firing a 357 from an ultra-lite... I like my hand too much) but...
    I agree that with practice, this drill isn't extremely difficult. It was meant to demonstrate ability to control the pistol you carry and answer the question, "why buy a .38 snubbie" If you can do it with a .357...good on ya.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast