Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: House Bill 2536 Offered

I e-mailed all regarding this situation, here it is. I am sorry if it is not as good as most of yours but it is still my opinion and voice being heard...

Now that i have your attention i am writing you today in regards to the bill brought forth by Mr.Lentz and his anti-gun staff trying to outlaw our given and civil right to bare arms concealed.

It has come to my attention by word of mouth and political friends of mine that there is the HB 2536 being brought up here next week. Now to my in-depth and first hand knowledge there is no "loophole" surrounding the issuing of "CCW's" from Florida or other reciprocal states as Mr.Lentz and others have brought forth. Mr.Lentz is aware of the reciprocity by FL and has come to act upon it by only the means of hearsay not first hand knowledge. The reason i say this is Mr.Lentz as well as other officials and local PD's being Philladelpiha one of them feel that is as easy as calling or e-mailing for an application for a concealed weapons permit from the state of Florida........ this is not the case.

You see while "The Department Of Agriculture" is held responsible for filing and approving the Non-Resident concealed weapons permits it is still regulated by Law officials, actually 250 if them to be precise as well as the Commissioner Charles M Bronson of whom is a certified law enforcement personnel as well as state elected official. Now this process is more strict than Pa's fill out a form, show two forms of identification and wait 45 days process.

For the Florida application u MUST have a FBI background fingerprint card taken at a local Police dept, a notarized application and statement of which you sign and a Certification from a LICENSED NRA instructor stating that you are capable of handling a firearm in a safe and respectable manor. Now how does this sound "As easy as going through the mail for a license to carry concealed" as stated by Mr.Lentz? Not so easy mind you. While most of this political nonsense is coming from the county of Philadelphia the rediculousness is spewing into the rest of PA and putting NON aware law enforcement and officials in a panic thinking that criminals are carrying loaded weapons on a daily basis by means of a mail in application, of which this is not true.

PA is a "Shall issue" state, let's start by actually making it a ''Shall issue" and not let county or city Sheriffs or law enforcement make their own rules on who can carry concealed or not carry concealed. We need to vote "NO" on HB 2536 and start watching our own elected officials and the way they process and handle the License to carry applications. I have attached a letter from Mr. Charles M Bronson himself regarding this manor.

Thank you for your time and please vote NO to HB 2536.

Sincerely,

Got this response back from Bryan Lentz in Daniel Healy's office this morning:

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the message and the chance to clarify the bill. The short answer is that it is intended to apply to PA residents under certain circumstances.

I am always grateful to have a conversation about the pros and cons of legislation and really appreciate you taking the time to inquire.

To be clear, I am not trying to mess with reciprocity at all. I am all for reciprocity and I don't have a problem with Pennsylvania residents having permits from every state in the union if they so desire or PA recognizing permits from other states as they do now.

I am trying to get at a real problem with bad guys who have been denied or have had their PA permits revoked then going to Florida or other states and getting a permit to carry which the PA police then have to honor even in cases where the bad guy is a known criminal who never lived in or even visited Florida.

As just one example, a guy in Philly who had 9 (NINE) prior arrest was arrested in connection with a murder and he was in possession of a Florida permit. These guys have figured out that they can bypass the process in PA and get a permit elsewhere. So what happens is they either get denied in PA because they have something in their background or an open arrest (in one case a guy had an open case for illegally carrying a firearm) so they go online and apply to Florida. Florida permits are issued by the department of agriculture and not the law enforcement. Florida will issue the permit by mail to PA residents who do not live work or visit Florida EVER. So all I am trying to do is say that if you are a PA resident you cannot rely on a Florida permit if you have had a PA permit denied or revoked or if you have not at least applied for a PA permit. This should eliminate the known bad guys using the Florida or other state loophole. In the meantime people can still have permits from as many states as they like and residents of other states who carry here and with whom we have reciprocity will still have the right to rely on the permit from their state as will PA residents who have not had a permit revoked or denied.

We are going to hold the bill for a week to see if we can come up with a solution that allows us to keep the permit process local and still prevent known drug dealers from relying on a loophole to get an out of state permit as a get out of jail free card but not interfere in any way with law abiding citizens rights.

Thanks again,

Bryan

(Allegheny County)

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the message and the chance to clarify the bill. The short answer is that it is intended to apply to PA residents under certain circumstances.

I am always grateful to have a conversation about the pros and cons of legislation and really appreciate you taking the time to inquire.

To be clear, I am not trying to mess with reciprocity at all. I am all for reciprocity and I don't have a problem with Pennsylvania residents having permits from every state in the union if they so desire or PA recognizing permits from other states as they do now.

I am trying to get at a real problem with bad guys who have been denied or have had their PA permits revoked then going to Florida or other states and getting a permit to carry which the PA police then have to honor even in cases where the bad guy is a known criminal who never lived in or even visited Florida.

As just one example, a guy in Philly who had 9 (NINE) prior arrest was arrested in connection with a murder and he was in possession of a Florida permit. These guys have figured out that they can bypass the process in PA and get a permit elsewhere. So what happens is they either get denied in PA because they have something in their background or an open arrest (in one case a guy had an open case for illegally carrying a firearm) so they go online and apply to Florida. Florida permits are issued by the department of agriculture and not the law enforcement. Florida will issue the permit by mail to PA residents who do not live work or visit Florida EVER. So all I am trying to do is say that if you are a PA resident you cannot rely on a Florida permit if you have had a PA permit denied or revoked or if you have not at least applied for a PA permit. This should eliminate the known bad guys using the Florida or other state loophole. In the meantime people can still have permits from as many states as they like and residents of other states who carry here and with whom we have reciprocity will still have the right to rely on the permit from their state as will PA residents who have not had a permit revoked or denied.

We are going to hold the bill for a week to see if we can come up with a solution that allows us to keep the permit process local and still prevent known drug dealers from relying on a loophole to get an out of state permit as a get out of jail free card but not interfere in any way with law abiding citizens rights.

Thanks again,

Bryan

guy was arrested 9 times, guess how many convictions he had, anyone? a big fat 0
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    guy was arrested 9 times, guess how many convictions he had, anyone? a big fat 0
    Yeah that was the impression I got from the email too, he specifically said arrests, not convictions.

Now granted I will agree with the guy that we don't want "bad guys' running around with concealed weapons but the only real measure we have of a 'bad guy' is a conviction in a court of law.

(Dauphin County)

That is his statistics????????? "I know a guy............"

How about some real data? How about sharing the WHOLE story on that guy? How about sharing the whole story on the Florida process.

The integrity of these people is nothing short of astonishing.

(Delaware County)

Below is a sobering reminder.

If a firearm is used in a home defense scenario ...

More than likely the defender will have this 'arrest' on his/her record as well.

Seems like Lentz is only seeing/presenting some of the facts.

Sounds alot like my ex wife, but thats another thread.

(Delaware County)

Delaware County churns out another dumb ass anti-gun politician....

anyhow...

I'll get my emails out tonight.

edit- just sent out my emails.
    Last edited by andrewjs18; June 13th, 2010 at 01:04 AM.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Montgomery County)

It may be helpful to post a sticky thread on the main forum page right next to this one, with the info from posts 45 and 65 (and others). People need to see right from the main page that the issue is still alive, and that they need to contact the committee members again right now. Seeing something like this on the main page would be helpful "HB2536 vote on June 15, please call/email the committee members again ASAP". Just a suggestion.
    Berncly-

(Allegheny County)

Berncly has a good idea, some may think it is over and not bother to re-read it or overlook it.

(Allegheny County)

Read this post to see who to contact on the house Judiciary Committee Members.

Please contact them before June 15

http://forum.pafoa.org/1230652-post-45.html

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast