Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Re: How do you guys justify buying multiple models of the same gun?

maybe not 1911s, but I have a Sig p229 and there are at least two other variations of the p229 I would love to have
    Personally I like 1911, but its not my cup of tea for CC or a defensive weapon at all for that matter. I know they are adequate, but I wouldnt ever choose a single action, with 2 safeties.
    I carried one for 4 years in the military and fired thousands of rounds thru mine, I could shoot it very well too, I just prefer....other guns.

(Philadelphia County)

I only want 4 1911's but they would all be different

If carry gun is out of commission have a replacement that you have practiced and trained with.

(Lycoming County)

I'll put it into my perspective using M1 garands. There's four manufacturers of the garand. Gotta have 4 for the safe, 4 to shoot, 4 more for your buddies to shoot, one of each for each CMP grade... you see this gets involved.

Now, the question is do I follow this? Hell no, I'd be broke trying to pick up IHC's and Winnie's. That's not to say I don't have a couple SA's and HRA's.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I love my compact M&P and now I really want a full size. I wouldn't go get another compact M&P because that's money that can be spent on ammo, or training....or ammo for training.

I'm also not about to buy 2 of the same gun, shoot the hell out of one, and then sell it.

I'd rather buy good robust gun and shoot the hell out of it.

If I had money to spend on 2 guns I'd buy one and spend the rest on ammo.

One for me, one for my wife.

That's what I tell her anyways.

(Lycoming County)

(Allegheny County)

Don't have 6 Glock 19s, but have 3. Actually I used one on a trade, but will picking up another one soon.

Why 3? One to shoot, one to carry, and one for a spare!

Actually, the reason is simple, I shoot/train/instruct/carry/depend on the 19 for my EDC gun, if and when something on it should break (Remember, anything made by man will break!) I can reach into my range bag and pull out the same gun to finish whatever it was that I was doing.

The same holster, mags, mag pouch will work, in fact everything will be the same. Then I can drop off the broken 19 at the local Glock Armorer so he can fix it, in the meantime I still have the same gun on my hip, with another spare. (Remember that guy named Murphy?) Has this ever happened - you bet it has.

When I was working as a LEO, I didn't really need an exact duplicate of my duty gun - I had 10-12 spares at the range/dept arms room. Whenever I would go off for training, I would check out a spare to take with me.

Does everyone need 3 or more of the same gun, probably not, should they have a duplicate of their EDC gun, I think they should.

Oh by the way, my wife has two Glock 26s (she says she doesn't need a third )
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Warren County)

I'm married so I can't... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    I LOVE my 1911 but can't seem to understand how some of you guys justify buying 4 or 5 models of the same piece. Im not hating by any means! I am actually jealous. : )

I would just rather have an array of firearms than multiple copies of the same. Personally, I just try to limit my collection to the same calibers I already have pistols in.

Not to mention my old lady would most likely snap her optic nerves off at the root if I kept buying 1911's in different finishes lol. Shes cool about my impulsive buys as long as I can explain vocally what purpose it would serve. IE: HD, CCW, Cheap at the range, Easy for her to rack if she ever needed to, Etc.

Thoughts?
    Tim , USAF Ret.

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    I LOVE my 1911 but can't seem to understand how some of you guys justify buying 4 or 5 models of the same piece.
    Thoughts?
    For me it involves several things.

1.) Value in dollars over time.

2.) Use and actual shooting enjoyment, (i.e. fun factor).

3.) Cost to keep supplied with ammunition.

4.) Value in shooting enjoyment over time.

If I buy a high dollar gun like well into 4 digits for a Trap shotgun, I do it because I know it will serve me well, and for a long period of time, and look good doing it. I also know I can recoup the cost, should I need to anywhere down the road. I have the most of AR-15's, AK-47's, Trap guns, and Glocks.

All of them see a lot of use, but are kept impeccably maintained, and cleaned spotless after every range session. I have weapons 35 years old that look like they came out of the box yesterday. Just because a gun has had a lot of rounds through it, doesn't mean it has to look like it. I'm much the same with my vehicles.

I do concern myself with resale value, even though I've never sold a gun in over 40 years. That will be my wife's job when I take a dirt nap. I still like buying guns I know will hold their value over time. Actually, if you buy wisely, and at a good price few won't.

I feel there is always the danger of a weapon being banned. AR-15's, AK-47's as well as anything and everything chambered for the .50 BMG cartridge. These guns would shoot up dramatically in price if there was legislation passed on a federal lever against them. Much like Class III weapons have skyrocketed since the 1986 ban.

Basically it's a hobby like any other. You spend what it takes to satisfy your appetite for what you like. Over the years my tastes have changed, and my buying has been adjusted to fulfill that nitch. It's nice to reflect back and see the different phases you've gone through with every purchase you have made. It's like a time capsule. I can tell you where I was, along with what I was thinking when I made every single purchase. It's nice to be able to relive time like that. Guns contain a lot of personal history that never goes away until you do. Bill T.
    Last edited by billt; May 25th, 2010 at 09:31 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast