Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default totally confused SBR noob

Ok, I've decided I'm crazy enough to finally build the SBR I've been thinking about for the past few months. But I have some good and some dumbass questions.

1) I want to SBR an AR 15. I have a spikes lower that's never been built... is that good enough quality for long term use? also, it was purchased privately when I lived in florida. is that going to give me any grief since it's not from a dealer?

2) where/how do I get it engraved around Reading?

3) wth form do i fill out? I heard form 4 since it's going to be as an individual, but now I also hear form 1. which way is correct?

4) where do i get the right paperwork? I printed some form 4s from the internet, but I may not need them (see 3) and idk where to get finger print cards? I was digitally printed in FL for the CCW (thats what it's called there, please dont flame me) can i just mail in the copies of those or do i need to do special ones?

5) what's the best budget upper for 223? I'm thinking around 10 inches or so, and hear various arguments for different lengths, just wondering what's good and not too expensive. im thinking about running that upper with a 22 conversion kit, so it's fun and still cheap enough to play with.

6) someone please tell me it's worth it!

again sorry for all the dumbass questions, but i have been reading the stickies and I'm still abit confused.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: totally confused SBR noob

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    Ok, I've decided I'm crazy enough to finally build the SBR I've been thinking about for the past few months. But I have some good and some dumbass questions.

1) I want to SBR an AR 15. I have a spikes lower that's never been built... is that good enough quality for long term use? also, it was purchased privately when I lived in florida. is that going to give me any grief since it's not from a dealer?

3) wth form do i fill out? I heard form 4 since it's going to be as an individual, but now I also hear form 1. which way is correct?

4) where do i get the right paperwork? I printed some form 4s from the internet, but I may not need them (see 3) and idk where to get finger print cards? I was digitally printed in FL for the CCW (thats what it's called there, please dont flame me) can i just mail in the copies of those or do i need to do special ones?

5) what's the best budget upper for 223? I'm thinking around 10 inches or so, and hear various arguments for different lengths, just wondering what's good and not too expensive. im thinking about running that upper with a 22 conversion kit, so it's fun and still cheap enough to play with.

again sorry for all the dumbass questions, but i have been reading the stickies and I'm still abit confused.

Here you go;
    I'm not familiar with Spikes tactical lower however, I believe it should be a good lower for the build. I would get it engraved first while your waiting for you forms to come back from the ATF. Look in the yellowpages for some engravers or send yours out to have it done. A quick google search should help. Anvil arms does it, but I did mine locally in Lansdale, PA. Be sure to engrave it before you piece it together and get the tax stamp before you order any parts.
    For the Forms you will need to fill out 2 FORM 1's , 1 copy of F 5330.20 (Certificate of compliance) and 2 FBI fingerprint cards FBI FD-258FA.
    You can get the cards at ATF.gov under the FORMS tab. Either PDF's or have them sent to your address. However, the Fingerprint cards must be sent to your house (as they are special paper) or located from a NFA dealer or policedepartment.
    Lastly, IT IS WORTH IT!

(Montgomery County)

As for a cheap upper, I'm not sure whats best for you. I got a complete upper from STAG ARMS it's their lastest version of their Gas piston system in 11.5in. It's also available in Lefty! It will run you a little less then $900 if you purchase the right handed version.

(Centre County)

There's a sticky on the top of the NFA forum which details everything you have to go through to do the SBR. Link here: http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...xperience.html

so in order...

1) no problems
    2) sorry, no idea where to get it engraved locally though orion arms has done good working if you're willing to ship - http://www.orion-arms.com/
    3) form 1
    4) you can order forms and print cards here. Remember the F1 and finger print cards are to be done in duplicate - http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/
    5) upper length is completely subjective. I went with 11.5 DI as I run a can on it, I would likely do it again though if it were a true "fun" gun I would get a DPMS kitty kat upper
    6) it's my most shot AR... so you can take that how ever you want.. ps do it
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Northampton County)

Regarding barrel length, you might be interested in a few things. Most can makers say no barrel under 11.5". Also, if you ever need to use the thing in anger, .223/5.56 (ball or match) counts on velocity to perform above expected damage, and this effect goes away under 11.5", and it's a short range effect if any even at that barrel length depending on ammo. Finally, if you ever need to use it in anger, anything under 14.5" probably will cause some variable but permanent hearing damage with only a few shots.

If none of those are considerations, then shorter is better. Plus you can use different length uppers on your SBR anyway

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post

what are you engraving? If its a registered lower receiver then its already engraved. Its best to have your local FFL/Sot do the paperwork for you but you can do it online with a form 1. FFL/SOT class 7 use a form 2. You still need to have your local CLEO sign off on it first before sending the paperwork to the ATF. Here is my .22 AR pistol set up. It shoots great with a 6 inch barrel ciener kit and runs great with either the fake suppressor or a Tac 16.
    http://www.usmachinegun.com/proddeta...?prod=GNS-AR22