Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default 3 OC encounters, negative, positive, and odd...

Bad:
    So I am posting these up because I had my first negative OC encounter today. So I went to a local diner to grab some grub for dinner. Wearing black jeans, a grey t-shirt, and a light blue button up over that. t-shirt tucked in, with the button up not tucked, but pulled behind my pistol.

Now I have gone to this place many times without a problem. Most of the people there know my order, my occupation, and that I carry.

So I go in tonight have a seat at the bar, and the waitress brings over my pepsi (my usual) I place my order (also my usual) and proceed to make small talk with the waitresses as its sorta slow. well the one older woman comes around the corner as shes getting ready to leave, and I see the look of "OH MY LORD" in here eyes. and the following conversation took place.

Her: "Is that a gun?"

Me: "Yes"

Her: "Are you cop?"

Me: "No"

Her: (picking up more of an attitude now) "Got a license for that thing?"

Me: (being as polite as possible) "Yes ma'am"

Her: "Well don't make me go Old County Buffet on you!"

I was in such shock and awe I didn't know what to say. That was my first and only neg encounter so far.

Good:
    A few days ago I was at walmart in the poconos (before the meet). I was OC'ing and had picked up some ammo because I was in the area to see a friend, and its cheaper there than by me. I was walking back to my car and heard someone shout "Hey you". I turned to look, and there was a man driving an SUV that had pulled up along side me. He stopped and asked "can you really carry like that"

I told him "Yes. As long as you are not prohibited from possessing a firearm, and are on foot, you are allowed to OC. However if you get in a car or would like to conceal it, you need a LTCF." He asked what that looked like and I pulled mine out to show him. upon seeing mine he said he had one too, and proceeded to pull out a LTCF with a chunk missing and had been well worn. He asked if he had to update it when he moved. I told him yes, I also told him I do not know the time limit to change it or what you would have to do or the consequences for not updating it, but strongly urged him to before he started carrying again. also due to the wear and tear, as well as missing information, they may not consider it valid. I then suggested that he check out PAFOA.ORG, as well as PAOPENCARRY.ORG, worte both address down on some paper, gave it to him, and with a good hearted handshake, a friendly goodbye, we each went our way.

Odd:
    I was in walmart looking for some accessories for my newly acquired Marlin 25MN when this happened:

Him: "Hey dude, you a cop?"

Me: turning to see your every day generic thug "No. Just an average joe who's concered with his safety and the safety of his loved ones"

Him: "Oh dude, thats sweet, I didn't think you could rock your piece like that"

At this point I am looking for any out I can find. I REALLY don't want to be seen with thug lyf3.

Him: "My girl was gonna get a piece. She wants her gun permit, but she wanted to rock it cowboy style so all could see, ya' kno wat im sayin"

Me: "Yea" *took out my cell* "Just a min, I gotta take this" *bull'ed a call* "Sorry, that was my boss, I gotta run"

Him: "Oh dude, can ya just show my girl rurl quik" shouting to woman down isle "BABE, BABY, LOOK AT THIS"

Her: "WHAT"

Him: "com'er and look at dis"

she comes over and looks at it. she seems unimpressed, and pissed off at thug lyf3.

I politely excuse myself and leave. I passed them 2 or 3 more times as I got the rest of my stuff, but I politely ignored them.

Tomorrow after work I'm gonna print out some flyers. Any advice ?

Default Re: 3 OC encounters, negative, positive, and odd...

You should have asked the thug what he does for a living. That would have shut him up real quick.

(Clinton County)

Dude...I about fell out of my chair on that last one. I would have just rolled with it. Some people may seem thuggish but its just street. I have no problem taking people as they are and educating them on the law. I would have handed him a flier and bid him a good day like any other person I meet.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikePrekopa View Post
    Bad:
    So I am posting these up because I had my first negative OC encounter today. So I went to a local diner to grab some grub for dinner. Wearing black jeans, a grey t-shirt, and a light blue button up over that. t-shirt tucked in, with the button up not tucked, but pulled behind my pistol.

Now I have gone to this place many times without a problem. Most of the people there know my order, my occupation, and that I carry.

So I go in tonight have a seat at the bar, and the waitress brings over my pepsi (my usual) I place my order (also my usual) and proceed to make small talk with the waitresses as its sorta slow. well the one older woman comes around the corner as shes getting ready to leave, and I see the look of "OH MY LORD" in here eyes. and the following conversation took place.

Her: "Is that a gun?"

Me: "Yes"

Her: "Are you cop?"

Me: "No"

Her: (picking up more of an attitude now) "Got a license for that thing?"

Me: (being as polite as possible) "Yes ma'am"

Her: "Well don't make me go Old County Buffet on you!"

I was in such shock and awe I didn't know what to say. That was my first and only neg encounter so far.

Good:
    A few days ago I was at walmart in the poconos (before the meet). I was OC'ing and had picked up some ammo because I was in the area to see a friend, and its cheaper there than by me. I was walking back to my car and heard someone shout "Hey you". I turned to look, and there was a man driving an SUV that had pulled up along side me. He stopped and asked "can you really carry like that"

I told him "Yes. As long as you are not prohibited from possessing a firearm, and are on foot, you are allowed to OC. However if you get in a car or would like to conceal it, you need a LTCF." He asked what that looked like and I pulled mine out to show him. upon seeing mine he said he had one too, and proceeded to pull out a LTCF with a chunk missing and had been well worn. He asked if he had to update it when he moved. I told him yes, I also told him I do not know the time limit to change it or what you would have to do or the consequences for not updating it, but strongly urged him to before he started carrying again. also due to the wear and tear, as well as missing information, they may not consider it valid. I then suggested that he check out PAFOA.ORG, as well as PAOPENCARRY.ORG, worte both address down on some paper, gave it to him, and with a good hearted handshake, a friendly goodbye, we each went our way.

Odd:
    I was in walmart looking for some accessories for my newly acquired Marlin 25MN when this happened:

Him: "Hey dude, you a cop?"

Me: turning to see your every day generic thug "No. Just an average joe who's concered with his safety and the safety of his loved ones"

Him: "Oh dude, thats sweet, I didn't think you could rock your piece like that"

At this point I am looking for any out I can find. I REALLY don't want to be seen with thug lyf3.

Him: "My girl was gonna get a piece. She wants her gun permit, but she wanted to rock it cowboy style so all could see, ya' kno wat im sayin"

Me: "Yea" *took out my cell* "Just a min, I gotta take this" *bull'ed a call* "Sorry, that was my boss, I gotta run"

Him: "Oh dude, can ya just show my girl rurl quik" shouting to woman down isle "BABE, BABY, LOOK AT THIS"

Her: "WHAT"

Him: "com'er and look at dis"

she comes over and looks at it. she seems unimpressed, and pissed off at thug lyf3.

I politely excuse myself and leave. I passed them 2 or 3 more times as I got the rest of my stuff, but I politely ignored them.

Tomorrow after work I'm gonna print out some flyers. Any advice ?
    Next time a thug asks if you are a cop, pull out a little notebook and ask his name... pretend to be checking a list....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Next time a thug asks if you are a cop, pull out a little notebook and ask his name... pretend to be checking a list....
    HAHAHAHAHA! Nice! I almost fell off my chair on this one! I had a similar encounter one time...

(Thug like dude) "Yo, is that a nine?"
    (Me) "Yup"
    (Thug like dude) "For real yo? Is that a glock?"
    (Me) "nope"
    (Thug like dude) "Yo, that **** is tight son! Ain't you afraid the po-lice is gonna come down on you like thunder and **** for havin' it out like that?"
    (Me) "You think I should be scared? Are there cops around?"
    (Thug like dude) "I ain't seen any close, but you better be careful dude!"
    (Me) "Thanks for the warning, but I'm not scared"
    (Thug like dude) "Man, you MUST be crazy!"
    (Me) "Actually, it's legal. I'm just messing with you. Open carry is legal in PA and I can also conceal carry because I have my PA carry license as well"
    (Thug like dude) "For real?"
    (Me) "Yeah man"
    (Thug like dude) "Hey, I've been locked up. Can I still rock a piece?"
    (Me) "Ummm... You might wanna talk to a lawyer"
    Proud 3%er... We'll fight for your rights, even when you won't.

(Allegheny County)

I'm not really sure I count the first "bad" experience relayed as bad. Sounded kind of amusing. What is "Getting Old Country Buffet" on someone?
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    I'm not really sure I count the first "bad" experience relayed as bad. Sounded kind of amusing. What is "Getting Old Country Buffet" on someone?
    I think it has something to do with confusing the pedals in a car?

(Lebanon County)

By the way, the address on my LTCF is for 132 Townhouse, Hershey.
    I do not live there anymore. I now live in Jonestown. I called Dauphin County Sherriff, and said I was moving, and I need to get an updated card.

I was told by them that as long as my PennDot driver information card is updated, it is fine. It can be updated on the renewal.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikePrekopa View Post
    I told him "Yes. As long as you are not prohibited from possessing a firearm, and are on foot, you are allowed to OC. However if you get in a car or would like to conceal it, you need a LTCF." He asked what that looked like and I pulled mine out to show him. upon seeing mine he said he had one too, and proceeded to pull out a LTCF with a chunk missing and had been well worn.
    For anyone who has a paper version of the license and is worried about it getting "worn" like this, remember, thanks to Title 37 Pa. Code § 33.115 (c) the license may be laminated.

He asked if he had to update it when he moved. I told him yes, I also told him I do not know the time limit to change it or what you would have to do or the consequences for not updating it, but strongly urged him to before he started carrying again.
    It absolutely does not need to be updated when you move, not until the term of license expires anyway. See 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 (f) in the link below.

also due to the wear and tear, as well as missing information, they may not consider it valid.
    Now, I am NOT a lawyer, just for the record, but there is nothing in the law deeming a license to be invalid just because it is "worn". However, an officer inquiring about the license's validity under 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 (l) may have a problem if the license number is torn away or unreadable. Perhaps one of our forum's resident leo's can tell us if it would be an issue or not. I'd still recommend getting a new copy of the license from the issuing sheriff though, because if an LEO can't determine on site whether or not a license is valid, he/she may decide to file a charge under 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106 which would require the person charged to produce proof of licensure at the preliminary hearing, under 18 Pa.C.S. § 6122.

Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    It can be updated on the renewal.
    That's correct, per 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 (f)(1).

If you haven't read 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 yet, I recommend it. It's surprisingly easy to read through.
    Last edited by IronSight; May 23rd, 2010 at 11:56 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

I have never tried it, so i don't know if this will work...

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...tml#post298674

I don't feel qualified to discuss what happened at the OCB, because I never did catch the full story, but search "old country buffet" in the forum search bar... the OCB incident happened in the same town as my diner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast