Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need your advice

my money is limited so am looking at a tauris 24/7 in eather 9mm or 40 cal, one problem i am having is ammo,,first not sure what round to get,,,and another is with 40 winchester white box comes in 180 gr fmj also 180jhp,,fmj is cheaper for target shooting and then switch to hp for carry,,but also read about l;ighter weights in 40 cal but they are expencive and no fmj to practice with,,,,,,,,,first what do you think of 24/7 compact and what round,,

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: need your advice

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiont52 View Post
    my money is limited so am looking at a tauris 24/7 in eather 9mm or 40 cal, one problem i am having is ammo,,first not sure what round to get,,,and another is with 40 winchester white box comes in 180 gr fmj also 180jhp,,fmj is cheaper for target shooting and then switch to hp for carry,,but also read about l;ighter weights in 40 cal but they are expencive and no fmj to practice with,,,,,,,,,first what do you think of 24/7 compact and what round,,
    Number one, I am not a fan of Tauris. So no info their.

Number two, Shoot both calibers and see what YOU like best. If you can't shoot .40, it's not for you.

Number three, FMJ is full metal jacket. That is a lead bullet with a full copper jacket. They are great for practice.

JHP is Jacketed hollow Point. These are good for self defense. Shoot atleast 100 rounds of JHP with your gun before you carry it. You want to ensure it will work with your gun, and that you can shoot it well.

I shoot and carry the Glock 23 in .40 cal.
    It works for me.

Again, you must test what works best for you. I say this for both the ammo and the gun.

(Lancaster County)

My first suggestion is to take the 350 or so dollars you would spend on the Taurus and find a used Glock, M&P or XD for 50 more dollars. They are the 'big 3" in polymer framed pistols. I had an early 24/7 and it was a lemon. Stovepiped at least once in every mag and had too many ftfs to count. Sent it back to Taurus who claimed to buff the feedramp but the same things happened the first time back to the range. Maybe the newer guns are refined and actually work but it is in my opinion that you would be better off buying something else used.

Again, if money is an issue and you plan to shoot often 9 mil will be cheaper. You will find 100 ct boxes for about 21 dollars at Walmart while the 40 cal is at least 30. Fmjs are always cheaper than HPs. Unfortunately it IS necessary to shoot whichever HPs you decide to carry with in order to make sure they work reliably in your gun. Im not talking about 5 rounds out of a box of 25. Both 9 and .40 are available in different weights and that usually doesnt affect price.

Whatever gun or ammo you get just practice, be safe and enjoy.
    Last edited by bripro; May 23rd, 2010 at 09:44 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I would say hold off and save a bit more to get yourself at least a Glock. We are talking about a tool to save lives. You want the best possible tool for such a use. That being said, I have heard a good deal about Taurus relibility on both ends. I have never fired a Taurus semi, only revolvers and of those I have experienced zero problems but then again a revolver is pretty much fool proof . Once for get into the Glock price point (500-600) you will have very dependable weapons to choose from.
    As for caliber, both are great. I prefer 9mm for cost, quantity, availability, and recoil. I also feel it is a pleanty powerful round if you do your job.
    If you cannot wait to save up for the Glock level, you could always get a used Glock level pistol. Good luck with whatever you choose.

(Montgomery County)

Brian (bripro) hit the nail on the head.

You always get what you pay for. Taurus bragged about their "second stikr capability" do you want to know why, because they needed to. You will never read or hear about Smith and Wesson, Springfield Armory or Glock bragging about their "second strike capability."

If you are going polymer, go with the big 3. My bias is toward the XDM in 9mm, it is a lot of bang for the buck. But then again, I am a revolver guy have been and will probably always be one (if you see me carrying an auto just smirk, because there is a revolver on me somewhere).
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

If you can afford to practice with it, I suggest .40

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Brian (bripro) hit the nail on the head.

You always get what you pay for. Taurus bragged about their "second stikr capability" do you want to know why, because they needed to. You will never read or hear about Smith and Wesson, Springfield Armory or Glock bragging about their "second strike capability."

If you are going polymer, go with the big 3. My bias is toward the XDM in 9mm, it is a lot of bang for the buck. But then again, I am a revolver guy have been and will probably always be one (if you see me carrying an auto just smirk, because there is a revolver on me somewhere).
    This...

I think there is a Springfield XD Subcompact 9mm in the classifieds right now for something like $375. It won't last long for that price...

Save another pay period or two and get something that is beyond reproach, like an XD, Glock, or M&P. As for which of those is the best choice... You'll just have to figure that out own your own. Or you could always go Steve Style and get a wheelgun. Definately not a bad option.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiont52 View Post
    At my local Cabelas in Hamburg, PA, they were advertising (in store flyer only) that they had police trade in Glock 22's in .40 for $349. That may be the way to go for you. I see that you're in WV, so that Cabelas may be close enough to you.

The wally worlds around me sell and have in stock 40 and 9mm for about $13/box of 50 all the time. Less if you buy the 100 round boxes. As you are reading, a lot of people do not think highly of Taurus. Others will say they are great weapons.
    The decision is up to you.

(Montgomery County)

I carry a 24/7 and have no worries of its reliability.
    Here's a good review of the 24/7. They tested the 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP with 10,000 rounds thru each. Then a year later did it again with the new models. Everyone performed flawlessly.
    http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Sat...+Taurus+Trials

I can't give any recommendations on .40 as mine is a 9mm. If money is limited, I'd go with 9mm. You'll get to shoot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    You will never read or hear about Smith and Wesson, Springfield Armory or Glock bragging about their "second strike capability."
    Probably because they're DAO. The 24/7 is SA/DA. The second strike capability is for primer failure, not gun failure. The theory is that it gives you a second try on a faulty primer. Suposedly a high percentage of primers will fire on a 2nd strike. Whether that is favorable over tap rack bang is debateable.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast