Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Marlin 60 Barrel Band

I was given an old Marlin 60. The barrel band that holds the magazine in place is loose at the dovetail that slides into the barrel. My questioni s how is that dovetail supposed to be secured? Is it just by compression? I can just slide it out with no tension.

My question is, how do I now get it to stay in place? I guess I could use some liquid weld or something, but that seems kind of permanent. What happens if I need to replce it? Any suggestions?

I have seen many places that tell you how to take the gun apart but nowhere does it address that band.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Marlin 60 Barrel Band

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    I was given an old Marlin 60. The barrel band that holds the magazine in place is loose at the dovetail that slides into the barrel. My questioni s how is that dovetail supposed to be secured? Is it just by compression? I can just slide it out with no tension.

My question is, how do I now get it to stay in place? I guess I could use some liquid weld or something, but that seems kind of permanent. What happens if I need to replce it? Any suggestions?

I have seen many places that tell you how to take the gun apart but nowhere does it address that band.
    You might be able to use a thread locker depending on how loose it is. You can also silver-solder it. Either way is reversible with heat.

Another option is to drill the block at an angle and thread it for a seize screw that pits into the bottom of the dovetail.

Or finder a replacement block that fits properly.

The likeliness of having to replace your magazine tube or barrel is slim to none short of physical damage, so a permanent fix could be considered.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Thread locker is a great idea. I think I will go that route.

Thanks

(Chester County)

If you haven't already, go to rimfirecentral.com Great resource for all things rimfire.

(Beaver County)

You need to peen the dove tail a little bit with a punch and make it thicker if that makes sense. You should be able to drive it into place with a brass punch or hammer. I wish you luck its not a hard job. Mtn Jack
    In a world of compromise some men dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Jack View Post
    You need to peen the dove tail a little bit with a punch and make it thicker if that makes sense. You should be able to drive it into place with a brass punch or hammer. I wish you luck its not a hard job. Mtn Jack
    This is known as "staking". It's been done for years on Kentucky rifles for years when the dovetails were made by hand with a saw and a file, and, Army small arms armorers are taught to "stake" rear dovetailed sights on the .45 autos with a center punch to "tighten up the dovetail also.
    If done correctly, it is no problem to get the sight out of the dovetail later with minimal work witha drift punch and ballpeen bench hammer.
    However, Loctite will do as well, and will burn away quickly later if need be.
    If you do "stake" the piece, install it, then "Stake" it.