Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    West Chester, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    4527

    Default M4 folding rear site with stock front site?

    Are after market folding rear sites compatible with the stock fixed front sites, or would I need to get the corresponding after market front sites??

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Perry Co., Pennsylvania
    Age
    70
    Posts
    2,707
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: M4 folding rear site with stock front site?

    Quote Originally Posted by 229Mick View Post
    Are after market folding rear sites compatible with the stock fixed front sites, or would I need to get the corresponding after market front sites??
    Try Troy Industries.
    http://store.troyind.com/BattleSights_s/3.htm
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Boalsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)
    Posts
    4,510
    Rep Power
    3044256

    Default Re: M4 folding rear site with stock front site?

    i used some elcheapo folding rear with stock front site, and it works fine...

    (I could have spent $150+ on folding buckup rear, but then it is a backup sight to my Aimpoint after all...)
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    1705

    Default Re: M4 folding rear site with stock front site?

    Quote Originally Posted by 229Mick View Post
    Are after market folding rear sites compatible with the stock fixed front sites, or would I need to get the corresponding after market front sites??
    Yes, as long as the manufacturer paired an F marked height FSP with a flat-top upper (do not assume they have, there are plenty which don't bother) any quality rear AR BUIS should work fine.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northeast Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Age
    34
    Posts
    308
    Rep Power
    319

    Default Re: M4 folding rear site with stock front site?

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Yes, as long as the manufacturer paired an F marked height FSP with a flat-top upper (do not assume they have, there are plenty which don't bother) any quality rear AR BUIS should work fine.

    How can you tell if they did this or not ? I have a Stag Arms flat top, with the removable carry handle. I wanted to use a Bushnell Trophy and get a flip up rear sight as my back up in case batteries died or it broke somehow. Does Stag Arms pair an F marked height FSP with there flat-top uppers do you know ?? Or would I have to contact them to find that out ?
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Perry Co., Pennsylvania
    Age
    70
    Posts
    2,707
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: M4 folding rear site with stock front site?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post
    How can you tell if they did this or not ? I have a Stag Arms flat top, with the removable carry handle. I wanted to use a Bushnell Trophy and get a flip up rear sight as my back up in case batteries died or it broke somehow. Does Stag Arms pair an F marked height FSP with there flat-top uppers do you know ?? Or would I have to contact them to find that out ?
    There will be an "F" stamped on the left side of the front sight post, on the brace running parallel to the barrel. Yours may be different, but it'll be there someplace.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northeast Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Age
    34
    Posts
    308
    Rep Power
    319

    Default Re: M4 folding rear site with stock front site?

    Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    There will be an "F" stamped on the left side of the front sight post, on the brace running parallel to the barrel. Yours may be different, but it'll be there someplace.

    Awesome, Thanks. I just checked and there is an "F" stamped right where you said. That's nice to know now all I have to do is purchase a flip-up rear sight and she's good to go.

    Also, does anyone know if they make an attachment rail I could maybe bolt on to the factory original handguards ? I noticed the holes running along the top and bottom of the handguards is there maybe a rail you can bolt on through them ?? The reason I ask is because with the Bushnell Trophy there won't be enough room for a rear sight to flip-up. I was thinking I could maybe get a small 4" rail and bolt it at the very end of the handguard so I can be able to use the rear sight if needed. If they do have these are they sturdy, do they work well ?
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)
    Age
    53
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    397

    Default Re: M4 folding rear site with stock front site?

    Flattop receivers should have (F) marked (flattop) FSB's. Please note the "should" part. I know that Bushmaster does not use F marked FSB's on their flattop carbines. It's not a huge deal though. Usually it's just a matter of cranking up the front sight post a few more turns. I forget the height difference but it is pretty small. If needed, Bushmaster does sell a front sight post that is lightly taller to compensate. FYI.

    Those hand guards are not secure enough to mount a scope. You'll never hold a zero. There are risers, extensions, etc. to assist mounting optics further forward but most raise the optic enough that cheek weld is impossible.

    Your best option would be to get a Larue or an American Defense mount but those cost bucks. I know there are other options out there, a surf through MidwayUSA, Brownells, Rock Rivers web site, etc. should turn up something that may work. Check out SWFA as they have some killer deals sometimes.

    Maybe this?

    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=385

    SWFA has this combo. I don't know if it's above your spending level but it should clear a rear buis

    http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-P...bo-P42148.aspx

    I have the Millett scope on an American Defense mount and it clears a Troy flip up rear buis perfectly.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northeast Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Age
    34
    Posts
    308
    Rep Power
    319

    Default Re: M4 folding rear site with stock front site?

    Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    Flattop receivers should have (F) marked (flattop) FSB's. Please note the "should" part. I know that Bushmaster does not use F marked FSB's on their flattop carbines. It's not a huge deal though. Usually it's just a matter of cranking up the front sight post a few more turns. I forget the height difference but it is pretty small. If needed, Bushmaster does sell a front sight post that is lightly taller to compensate. FYI.

    Those hand guards are not secure enough to mount a scope. You'll never hold a zero. There are risers, extensions, etc. to assist mounting optics further forward but most raise the optic enough that cheek weld is impossible.

    Your best option would be to get a Larue or an American Defense mount but those cost bucks. I know there are other options out there, a surf through MidwayUSA, Brownells, Rock Rivers web site, etc. should turn up something that may work. Check out SWFA as they have some killer deals sometimes.

    Maybe this?

    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=385

    SWFA has this combo. I don't know if it's above your spending level but it should clear a rear buis

    http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-P...bo-P42148.aspx

    I have the Millett scope on an American Defense mount and it clears a Troy flip up rear buis perfectly.


    The only problem is the Bushnell Trohpy has a mount already on the scope itself, it's all one piece, the mount and scope, so I can't take the mount off
    They would most likely do the trick prefectly if I used a regular scope....so if I have to I can go that route but would rather not buy another scope as I already have this one.

    I am thinking about the risers that you mentioned though....if I could get like a 6" or 8" riser and have it go on the front end of the flat-top and hang over the handguards slightly then that should give me enough room to mount a flip-up rear sight. The rifle came with a Command Arms Accessories 6 position collapsing stock and the adjustable cheek piece so if the scope sits a bit higher I think I'll be ok. The only problem now is will it still coinsign with the front sight...?? Even if not as long as I can see the iron sights through the scope so if something went wrong with the scope I wouldn't have to take it off then I can live with that.

    The rifle also came with a quad rail, not sure what make though, it is plastic. I COULD use the quad rail to mount the scope right before the flat-top but would much rather prefer to not use a quad rail, I want to keep it as light as possible and I like the original handguards a bit more.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    3,164
    Rep Power
    315941

    Default Re: M4 folding rear site with stock front site?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post
    The only problem is the Bushnell Trohpy has a mount already on the scope itself, it's all one piece, the mount and scope, so I can't take the mount off
    They would most likely do the trick prefectly if I used a regular scope....so if I have to I can go that route but would rather not buy another scope as I already have this one.

    I am thinking about the risers that you mentioned though....if I could get like a 6" or 8" riser and have it go on the front end of the flat-top and hang over the handguards slightly then that should give me enough room to mount a flip-up rear sight. The rifle came with a Command Arms Accessories 6 position collapsing stock and the adjustable cheek piece so if the scope sits a bit higher I think I'll be ok. The only problem now is will it still coinsign with the front sight...?? Even if not as long as I can see the iron sights through the scope so if something went wrong with the scope I wouldn't have to take it off then I can live with that.

    The rifle also came with a quad rail, not sure what make though, it is plastic. I COULD use the quad rail to mount the scope right before the flat-top but would much rather prefer to not use a quad rail, I want to keep it as light as possible and I like the original handguards a bit more.
    I think it will look awkward with the riser protruding out to the front. If you combine the weight of the riser with the weight of the handguard, you may find that the total weight is comparable to a Troy MFR-C (weighs 4 oz.) quad. Consider also the MI SS series or the Troy TRX. These are tubular with only top rails.

    Personally, I would do it right and make it look and function right. You won't be happy with it if you keep doing "work arounds".

    Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Front site Blog
    By das in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 11th, 2010, 10:28 PM
  2. Need a front site cant fixed on an AK.
    By Strapped in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM
  3. Front Site firearms training
    By Armed_in_Lancity in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 5th, 2009, 07:00 AM
  4. A2 F marked front site height?
    By Bravo Whiskey in forum General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: June 26th, 2009, 09:48 AM
  5. front site adjustment
    By tootall in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 30th, 2009, 09:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops