Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default PICS Undetermined status - advice please

Went to purchse a firearm a week ago and was put into research. 8 days later (They did not even take the whole 15 days) I get a call from the shop that my status was undetermined. He advised me to file for a challenge.

I have been scouring the boards and see many threads on this but none very recent and wanted to know if others have any suggestions as to the challenge process.

The app states that we can provide additional info to expedite the process. What have others done as far as supporting documentation? There is absolutely no reason to deny me. I don't have as much as an outstanding parking ticket, never seen the inside of a police car or a police station... nothing.

Looking for some success stories in overturning the undetermined status

BTW, new to the board. I have been reading all the messages and am impressed by the knowledge on here.
    Last edited by Don Quixote; May 22nd, 2010 at 10:30 AM.

Default Re: PICS Undetermined status - advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    Went to purchse a firearm a week ago and was put into research. 8 days later (They did not even take the whole 15 days) I get a call from the shop that my status was undetermined. He advised me to file for a challenge.

I have been scouring the boards and see many threads on this but none very recent and wanted to know if others have any suggestions as to the challenge process.

The app states that we can provide additional info to expedite the process. What have others done as far as supporting documentation? There is absolutely no reason to deny me. I don't have as much as an outstanding parking ticket, never seen the inside of a police car or a police station... nothing.

Looking for some success stories in overturning the undetermined status
    Have any windmill damage in your past?

If you can answer all of the questions on the 4473 and the challenge form honestly, and still see no basis for denial, then send in the challenge form. That gives PICS more time to research, and if they still can't approve you, their response will tell you why.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Northumberland County)

Contact PSP firearms division in harrisburgh while you file for the challenge and ask why you have an undetermined status. after you find out send them the letter explaining your situation or whatever caused your status to be undetermined.

(Franklin County)

I thought an individual was placed in "undetermined" status while the transaction was still "in research". I also thought that you couldn't file an appeal unless/until the transaction is actually denied.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

I just went though the process, and according to the guy handling my case, my reversal letter should arrive any day now. Let me first give my condolences, the process is so frustrating and time consuming.

First to your question as what to include. In addition to the challenge form, I enclosed a letter and some of my case information. Here is what I wrote in my letter if you would like any ideas.

Dear Sir or Madam,

On April 17th, 2010 I was rejected by the Pennsylvania Instant Check System while trying to purchase a fire arm. This came rather unexpectedly to me since I was approved by the system just three months earlier on 1/7/2010. My PICS approval number for that purchase was #######. Since that time, I have not been alerted to a single charge against me. I find this very concerning and hope to have this matter remedied as soon as possible.
    I have only two DUI convictions, which from my understanding do not disqualify me from purchasing a fire arm. To help expedite this matter I am enclosing what information I have on the two incidents. My first DUI occurred on ##/#/#### in ####### County, ##. I cannot find paper work from the case, but I have enclosed a copy of the ticket I was issued the day of the offense. My second DUI occurred on #/#/#### in ###### County, ##. I have enclosed a copy of the criminal docket showing the outcome of that case. I have also enclosed a copy of the letter showing I have fully completed the probation I was given as a result of this case. Hopefully this will aid you in your attempt to clear up this matter. Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,
    ##### ########

My issue turned out to be a clerical error for one of my cases. As you have stated, you have never been arrested. From the research I did prior to sending in my forms, there are still several things that may flag you for even if you have never had a conviction. My first question would be do you have a common name? That can cause problems. There is also the possibility a criminal may have given a police officer you SS# by chance when arrested for something in Alabama. Identity theft is another issue I have heard of.

The process will go as follows. You mail in your letter(the sooner the better IMO) Once they receive your letter you should try calling. The number I had success with was (717) 705-4682. I tried but they won't tell you anything until they receive your letter. I was told over the phone what the issue was. I asked every time I called to see if the matter had been resolved if i could call back next week. I would have rather have called twice a week, but I didn't want to bother them to much. I also received a letter about a week or two after they received my letter stating I was on undetermined status. This letter had a direct number to the guy handling my case. I can't tell you anything after that. I have been like Ralphy waiting for his secret decoder ring. You will be able to find out what the issue is by phone, but your going to have to wait for the snail mail to be able to do anything.

Whatever it is, if you are not legitimately prohibited the problem will be straightened out. I found the people at PICS to be very helpful and courteous. I wish you good luck.

I am no expert on the matter. This is just what worked for me.

Exactly when I was finishing up my last post to you, I hear my wife call down stairs to tell me she had a surprise for me. When I went up to see what it was she first made me put a glass in the dishwasher that I had left on the counter. Then she gave me my REVERSAL LETTER!!! Hopefully everything will work out for you as well.

Shopping, brb.......

I was denied the first time I tried to purchase a firearm.

Just go through the appeals process and you should be fine. I sent a formal letter along with my appeal explaining how I only had a summary offense for "public intoxication" on my record. Everything went well from there. Got my reversal letter. Never had another issuse buying a gun or obtaining my LTCF.

Good luck and be safe and go through the process. A few extra weeks of waiting will give you mor time to save $$$$$ and buy a better gun

(Indiana County)

Food for thought.

A right delayed is a right denied.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.
    NRA life member/ILA/PVA/Whittington Center sponsor
    GOA member/Second Amendment Foundation member
    NAHC life member/KECA founding committee member

(Montgomery County)

Those are all very encouragin answers. All ic an imagine is tha tI have been living outside of PA for 9 years. Just got back last summer.

I will try calling on Monday then filing the appeal. Will keep you all posted.

(York County)

Along the "common name" lines, did you put your SSL on the form?
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast