Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Thumbs up Quick/Good LEO Encounter - Limerick Township, PA

Being a firefighter for 10 years I am friends with several LEO's. The specific ones I know are good people. Anywho, while at the Limerick, PA Sonic Drive-in tonight with some friends on our bikes, I witnessed a Motor Vehicle Collision on Ridge Pike. I ran the 50 yards to the scene, called 9-1-1, confirmed any injuries, gave location, blah blah.

First LEO shows up, I explain who I am (Firefighter, no injuries, no vehicle fire, etc.), we have a quick chat. He asks if I witnessed it, which I did. He asks me if I can write a statement, I say no problem. I am CC'ing my Glock 23 which is severely printing, and the grip was popping up from under my shirt. Since I was out of a vehicle, and noticed this fact, I let the officer know what the deal was as he looked right at it a couple times. As I am writing on paper on the hood of the cruiser to fill out the paperwork, we quickly exchange some words:

Me: "Just so you're aware, I have a License to Carry a Firearm and I do have a firearm on my right hip"
    LEO: "Thank you for telling me. So you have a license?"
    Me: "Yes, sir, I just wanted you to be aware since it is printing"
    LEO: "Okay, thank you"

He didn't ask for me to produce a license, etc. I wasn't planning to mention it 'til I noticed he did see it. I'm sure I'll receive the typical flame job from ya'll, but figured I'd post this anyway. Stay safe! Buckle up!!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Quick/Good LEO Encounter - Limerick Township, PA

I'd say it was a good encounter... but expect people to jump down your throat for saying something to the officer.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
    I let the officer know what the deal was as he looked right at it a couple times.
    It was probably best to tell him if he was eyeballing it...no flame here

(Clinton County)

Do not talk to the Police.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by B2Luv2Hunt View Post
    Do not talk to the Police.
    ^^^THIS^^^

(Monroe County)

You're lucky you didn't end up sitting in the back of a cruiser while the LEO checked out your guns serial numbers and verified your LTCF. Poor encounter on your part.

Conceal it or open carry it. If you're not prepared to end up in the back of a cruiser, and stand up for your rights during a LEO encounter, than save yourself the trouble and conceal it properly. On the flip side, if you think you have what it takes to come out on top(relatively), then just open carry.
    Don't you feel foolish knowing you're clearly printing like crazy? Don't you take some pride in how you carry your gun? Do you have a garbage holster? I hope you have a better excuse than "oh man, it's just casual carry man".

Talk about public image. If I saw someone who was clearly attempting to conceal a firearm but sucked at it, I would feel alot more anxious than if someone was open carrying, or bent over and their gun was revealed briefly.To me it says something about the persons character, their intelligence, and their intentions.

That is how I feel as a gun owner, and I can only assume sheeple would feel even worse about it, if they picked up on it.
    Last edited by jcabin; May 22nd, 2010 at 07:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Poor encounter on your part. Conceal it or open carry it.

Don't you feel foolish knowing you're clearly printing like crazy?

Talk about public image. If I saw someone who was clearly attempting to conceal a firearm but sucked at it, I would feel alot more anxious than if someone was open carrying, or bent over and their gun was revealed briefly.

To me it says something about the persons character, their intelligence, and their intentions.

That is how I feel as a gun owner, and I can only assume sheeple would feel even worse about it, if they picked up on it.
    What's it like being so full of yourself? I just can't picture it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Game View Post
    What's it like being so full of yourself? I just can't picture it.
    Just trying to figure out why someone would carry in such poor form.

I mean what the hell, should we all go casual carrying? If you've got a spandex shirt 2 sizes too small, we can slide our guns right up onto our chest and use the shirt as retention, all while letting everyone know we have a gun, because we are printing so clearly. Why not just open carry?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(York County)

Poor encounter on your part. Conceal it or open carry it.

Don't you feel foolish knowing you're clearly printing like crazy?

Talk about public image. If I saw someone who was clearly attempting to conceal a firearm but sucked at it, I would feel alot more anxious than if someone was open carrying, or bent over and their gun was revealed briefly.

To me it says something about the persons character, their intelligence, and their intentions.

I don't necessarily agree with this at all. I carry a full-size M&P40 OWB and my usual attire is jeans and a t-shirt unless I'm 'going out' in which case I throw a button-up on over the t-shirt. I don't tuck in either of them. The button-up usually conceals OK, just a t-shirt, not so well. With a LTCF one has the choice to go either route and I see no problem with taking the middle road. I'm not trying to wear my gun completely in the open on purpose, and I'm not trying to make sure it's completely hidden. I wear mine the way I do because that's what works for me and it's the most comfortable. I'm not going to dress around my gun and I'm not going to carry it a certain way to cater to the feelings of the sheeple. I don't care what they think. There is nothing unsafe or illegal about the way I carry so that's all I'm worried about.

If you read your arguments, they are strikingly similiar to those of people who don't like open carry. How carrying openly is hurting the public image of gun owners and showing it off is going to scare the sheeple. But that's just my opinion. Not saying yours may be wrong, just that mine is different.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

(Allegheny County)

Just trying to figure out why someone would carry in such poor form.

I mean what the hell, should we all go casual carrying? If you've got a spandex shirt 2 sizes too small, we can slide our guns right up onto our chest and use the shirt as retention, all while letting everyone know we have a gun, because we are printing so clearly. Why not just open carry?
    You know, the argument you're making is the same made against open carry. Except even more ridiculous because you're for open carry (I think? It seems that way...) and bothered by what basically is open carry.

Edit: Oh, should have read the OTHER reply. What he said, too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast