Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Big day for the Plinkers

After many years of depending on me and my presence, Mrs. Plinker has finally decided of her own accord to get her LTCF and start carrying herself. She has been shooting for years, and even owns her own gun that she picked out herself. It has been a step by step process, but one that she has made on her own without pressure (well, without much pressure ) from me.

We just got back from the sheriff's office and filling out her application. It was an interesting visit. Last time I has cause to visit the sheriff, there was much screaming and yelling.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/290...s-nfa-etc.html

Today was a little different. It was much smoother, although they still have some room for improvement. I arrived at the courthouse, CC. I figured with last time's experience, OC might be more than they could bear. I was all prepped for more screaming, but there was none of that. As soon as we entered the courthouse main door, we came to a desk with a receptionist and a deputy. The deputy asked me to remove and clear my gun.

I asked him where the safe direction or the clearing barrel was.

"Uhh, we don't really have one."

So I pointed it at the wall. I cleared it, locked the slide back and handed it to him along with my spare magazine and my knife. I reasoned that they were just going to take my knife away from me at the metal detector anyway. I was wrong. In return, I received a plastic credit card sized card with a number and the notation "Checked Firearm" or something like that.

We proceeded through the metal detector. Mrs. Plinker heaved her suitcase - uhhh, I mean purse onto the conveyor belt with the X-ray machine, and I emptied my pockets. We were cleared through and went on to the elevator. Once in the elevator, Mrs. Plinker informed me that her knife was still in her purse! Now, she does not carry a WW I trench knife, but she does have a decent sized Swiss Army knife, with plenty of metal in it. Somehow someone missed that.

We arrived at the sheriff's office. As we walked in, we were greeted with this sign.

I did not see the wisdom of arguing with them. So I kept my mouth shut. She filled out her papers, paid they fee, got her picture taken, and now all she needs to do is wait. The woman told her 35-45 days. We'll see about that. One thing that might be a problem is that our post office is located in a different county. Initially the woman at the desk tried to tell us we were in the wrong courthouse. After explaining to her that we were really Lehigh County residents, Mrs. Plinker became concerned that her one reference would be kicked out, since he is a neighbor and has the same affliction. We were assured by another (and very surly) woman that it would not be an issue. Again, we will wait and see about that.

On the way in and on the way out I had some very pleasant conversations with a couple of the deputies. They were nice guys, unlike the guy I met up with last time. I talked for a while with the one guy about various SD calibers as well as hunting options. And, it seems that the sheriff is finally bringing them up to the present with their own sidearms in that they will soon be getting Glocks. Oh yeah, I got a chance to talk to an Allentown cop on a bicycle too. He was real friendly too. I had asked him what all the cops were doing on Turner street. Apparently someone was shot there last night.

Overall it was a very different experience. They need a clearing barrel, or something a little safer than a marble wall. They also need some better eyes on the X-ray machine. But the good news is, things are getting better down there.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Big day for the Plinkers

I can not find the Rio Grande quote about the trooper making a good report.

ps. Whats with the no $50.00s? Can't the Sheriff afford a currency pen.
    Last edited by YosemiteSam; May 21st, 2010 at 02:12 PM.
    NRA life member/ILA/PVA/Whittington Center sponsor
    GOA member/Second Amendment Foundation member
    NAHC life member/KECA founding committee member

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    The deputy asked me to remove and clear my gun.

I asked him where the safe direction or the clearing barrel was.

"Uhh, we don't really have one."

So I pointed it at the wall. I cleared it, locked the slide back and handed it to him along with my spare magazine and my knife.
    I would have made a case for leaving the pistol holstered, and asked to speak with a supervisor if the deputy had an issue with that. If they still wanted it to be unloaded, I'd have waited outside. Do you know who or what was on the other side of that wall?

(Northampton County)

Great start to the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    ps. Whats with the no $50.00s? Can't the Sheriff afford a currency pen.
    No fifties or hundreds accepted. I have no idea why. Maybe they don't want to have to keep a bunch of change on hand. I know I get irritated with someone comes up to me as the first customer of the day and wants to spend $20.00 and whips out a hundred for me to make change. Two of those guys in a row and I am in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    I would have made a case for leaving the pistol holstered, and asked to speak with a supervisor if the deputy had an issue with that. If they still wanted it to be unloaded, I'd have waited outside. Do you know who or what was on the other side of that wall?
    External wall, lots of masonry and marble (that's a rock you know). You are free to make whatever choice you want. I made mine. I see lots of people here give advice on "what they would have done". My advice to them is go do it. I try not to give advice like that unless I have already done it myself. But that's just me. I have had enough experience at this that I am comfortable with the choices I make. Yeah, it was not ideal, but most of life never is.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Great start to the weekend!
    Here's to hoping it continues. I don't have your email yet though.

(Luzerne County)

Congrats to the misses. What is she planing to carry?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Congrats to the misses. What is she planing to carry?
    S&W M&P 9c. She wanted my DE, but I sold it. Seriously though, she is a pretty good shot with her Smith.

I like how you took a picture of the "CCW" sign in a state that has LTCF's! I bet your eyes were rolling when you saw that.

Congrats on getting the Mrs. to carry. I've been barking up that tree for a while, and Mrs. GLK_19 still resists. I can't be around her all the time though, so some times I worry (about my cute little blonde walking around unarmed).
    Looking to start homebrewing? Read my primers here and here

(Monroe County)

Congrats to Mrs. Plinker! Glad to hear you had a better round of it this time.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Lehigh County)

When were you in the office? I was there from 2:15 till ~2:30 getting my current application transferred over to the paper version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast