Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Springfield 1911 GI

I'm looking at buying a Springfield 1911 GI from a private seller, and I know this is a pretty common model of pistol, but I have a few questions before I lay down the cash...

The trigger pull seems a little heavier than on other 1911's I've tried out, is this the case with all the GI models or do you think this is specific to the one I'm looking at? If anyone has experience in adjusting the pull...any idea how much this would cost from a standard smith?

The pistol I am looking at comes with Pachmayr rubber grips, I haven't had a chance to shoot this pistol with this setup, but it feels comfortable...anyone have a GI set up this way?

Lastly, the previous owner punched the sights and added highlights...does this increase or depreciate the value? Usually an after-market mod increases the value, but since this was hand-jammed (not too bad a job, but not perfect), will a home-grown job like this hurt me on the resale down the road?

Thanks for any and all help, I'll probably meet with him tonight to close the deal one way or the other... if I end up buying it, pictures will follow!

(be nice to me, I'm not super experienced on the pistol end!)

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Springfield 1911 GI

I have an older SA GI and I'd say the trigger compares in pull weight to my 80 series Colts for example which is fairly heavy to begin with. If you think this gun has an oddly heavy pull it could be specific to this one. No idea how much a smith would charge to tune it but I'm sure someone will be along.

I use Korean War era GI fiber grips on mine to give it a nostalgic feel more than anything else, but I'm a big fan of Pachmayr and I'm betting they'll make it nice and comfortable to shoot.

As for the sites, as long as he didn't Bubba them up real bad I doubt it'll affect the value one way or the other. IMO, a mod doesn't necessarily add or decrease value because one guy might like it and the next guy will hate it. But if it's something that damaged the finish or can't easily be reversed/removed, that could be a problem.

FWIW, I love my GI and wouldn't think of getting rid of it. Good choice.

(York County)

Thanks for the info. I laid down the cash this afternoon... I got two 7 round magazines, roughly 50 rounds, a fobus paddle holster (in heavily used condition), and the pachmayr grips for $550. I still have concerns with the trigger pull, it may just be not being used to a 1911 (been a while since I've shot one), but in either case I will probably take it to a smith to smooth it down just a little.

If anyone has any info on doing this, please pass it along...

I'll try to post pictures tonight, if the woman allows me to some time to myself!

(Lancaster County)

Congrats on your new gun. You are in York County I see, are you familiar with backwoods outfitters in Columbia, Lanc County? They have a pretty good smith there who picks up on Tuesdays and usually has things back the next week. I found him extremely reasonable for a trigger job he did on a revolver of mine. 40 bucks. Shoot the gun first to see if the sights are on. I shot a guys who was trying to qualify at my range to see if it was him or the gun and after 4 shooters we determined at fifty feet the fixed sights were left about a foot and low about two. Way off. The owner was bummed being the best advice we could guve him was to break out a file for the front sight and a hammer for the rear. It was a brand new gun. I havent seen him since so I dont know what did about it. Hopefully yours will be dead on and if not maybe a smith could adjust them with a little more finess. As far as home modifications, I feel they detract value.

(Philadelphia County)

at $550 I would probably have sprung the extra for a new SW GI but hey, congrats on the pistol and wish you luck with it.

(York County)

Thanks all, I'm posting some pictures in the Gun Pictures forum.