Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Marriott exposes NRA conventioneers to criminal prosecution

For those who have not seen the article you can read it at this link:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-2698-Charl...al-prosecution

========================================

I sent the following email to Kathleen Matthews EVP of Global Communications and Public Affairs at Marriott.

I am a Platinum Elite Lifetime member in the Marriott Rewards program. Which means I have been in the Marriotts Rewards program for over 12 years, over 1000 nights and earned over 3,000,000 Marriott Rewards Points (which are earned at 10 points per dollar spent at Marriott hotels).

Needless to say am one of Marriott's best customers, having paid to stay at Marriott branded properties for 1,207 nights, so far.

I contacting Hilton to have them status match my Marriott rewards level the Diamond level in the HiltonHonors program. Hilton will get all my hotel business until there is a satifactory resolution to this matter.

The reason Marriott has earned my business in the past was due to their "Starbucks like" policies towards firearms. I do not open carry but know of people in Pennsylvania who have open carried at Marriortt hotels in Eastern Pennsylvania without incident. There are gun show at Marriotts, just Google "Marriott" and "Gun Show". This seems to be a case were Jim Diehl, has gone rogue and made his own policies.

I am looking forward to Marriott's response to my email.

========================================

Kathleen,

I had stayed at that Marriott in Charlotte during the NRA Annual Meeting and I can legally carry a concealed weapon in North Carolina.

Thursday morning I called Chad Callaghan, Marriott's Corporate VP of Loss Prevention regarding Marriott’s firearms policy, to inquire if it had changed. He confirmed that their policy had not changed, and Marriott's policy was to follow the laws of the jurisdiction in which the hotel is located. It has always been my understanding that Marriott’s firearms policy was similar to Starbucks (Starbucks Newsroom: Starbucks Position on Open Carry Gun Laws).

I also spoke with Chad regarding the lack of safes in every guest room. I find interesting that a corporate owned and operated property, in the nation’s second largest banking center does not provide safes in every room.

I asked Chad for a copy of the firearms policy to give to the hotel’s general manager when I got there, since I was hearing conflicting information from the hotel’s staff when I called regarding the availability of in-room safes.

Chad told me he could not provide me the policy in writing but he would be calling the property to remind them of the policy.

Some of the hotel’s staff was well aware that I was going to have a firearm with me. I was upgraded to one of their 12 suites, when I had called to inquire about the availability of in-room safes, since only the suites have in-room safes at this property.

I checked in on Friday around noon, and there were no signs posted. When I returned from the NRA event at the Time Warner Cable Arena the signs were posted.

Here is my dilemma, there is now a sign stating no weapons, and my pistol is up in my room in the safe.

I went to the front desk and asked for the general manager, and was told he was gone for the weekend. I then asked for the manager on duty.

I spoke with Taylor, the manager on duty. I informed him that the posting of the sign is in direct violation of Marriott’s corporate policy regarding firearms. I informed him that I had reconfirmed that policy with Chad Callaghan the previous day, before heading down to the NRA annual meeting.

The manager on duty told me he was going to call the general manager and corporate and look in to it.

The signs were still posted on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, in direct violation of Marriott’s corporate firearms policy.

I am a Lifetime Platinum Elite with Marriott. The reason Marriott has earned almost all of my hotel business over the years is because of their firearms policy.

This hotel is a corporate owned; Host Marriott, corporate run, Marriott International location. What has happened is someone at this hotel, who is a corporate employee of Marriott, took it upon themselves to post signs in direct violation of Marriott’s corporate policies.

Please help me understand how the general manager, of a corporate owned and operated Marriott is not familiar with corporate policies. Especially since Jim Diehl is also the regional executive that oversees the other Marriott properties in the Charlotte region.

I am requesting a personal written apology from Jim Diehl, for putting my clean criminal record at risk and jeopardizing my ability to legally carry a concealed weapon in 33 states. A clean criminal record is also required to maintain my government clearance which is required by my employer.

I am requesting that Marriott to place a full page ad in a nationwide publication with an apology regarding this matter. The same ad will include a public statement of Marriott’s policy regarding the lawful possession of firearms at their properties.

I am requesting the details of the disciplinary actions taken to assure that this issue does not happen again.

I am requesting the details of any new or modified employee training programs to assure that all staff at any Marriott business, corporate or franchised, is aware of the corporate polices related to the lawful possession of firearms at Marriott businesses.

Thanks you for taking the time respond to this email and ensuring the timely resolution of this matter.

Respectfully,

Ed

(York County)

Default Re: Marriott exposes NRA conventioneers to criminal prosecution

Nice response!

You've spent 28% of the last 12 years in a Marriott?

Wow! You sound amost like George Clooney's charecter in the recent movie Up in the Air.

Too much travel for me!

Between this and the convention center not allowing firearms, it seems like a real cluster&%*$ for this year's attendees trying to exercise the very rights the convention is supposed to be promoting!

Let us know what you hear back from them.

Yeah, good luck with those demands.

(Bucks County)

Ed,

Thanks for the info. I am going on a two week vacation and just booked some rooms at Marriott. I just found some space at some other "inns" and cancelled my reservations at Marriott. I am sending Marriott an email now to let them know why.....

Rob

(Berks County)

God Bless this guy, but I have to agree with this sentiment:

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    Yeah, good luck with those demands.
    I have a hard time believing he'll get those demands met, unless he is willing to threaten them with legal or other actions which run the risk of putting them in significant financial stress. Money talks, and if he can't hit their wallet, they won't do anything.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

This is something to keep in mind for the NRA convention next year.

(Bucks County)

I agree.... the reason I cancelled my reservation and sent them an email via their customer care website.

(Chester County)

Wow that is an incredible letter. Please keep us informed about the response. If I understand this correctly, it sounds like you have paid over $300,000 to Marriott over the years to earn the points, is that correct?
    God Created Man. Sam Colt made them equal.
    FU BHO.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoomStick View Post
    Wow that is an incredible letter. Please keep us informed about the response. If I understand this correctly, it sounds like you have paid over $300,000 to Marriott over the years to earn the points, is that correct?
    That would be correct, I have given Marriott at least $300,000 in personal business. That does not include the the rooms that were charged by my co-workers on the projects that I am managing. They normally stay at the same hotel as me. I normally work with with a team of 2 to 8 people.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    That would be correct, I have given Marriott at least $300,000 in personal business. That does not include the the rooms that were charged by my co-workers on the projects that I am managing. They normally stay at the same hotel as me. I normally work with with a team of 2 to 8 people.
    Red,
    Didn't realize you were the guy in the article. I still have my doubts, but give 'em hell! I hope you do wind up getting the restitution you're asking for.

Best of luck to you!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast