Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Interarms Astra A-70 pistol?

I've attached a few pics of a 9mm para pistol my friend wants to sell me for 250. He said he only shot one magazine through it and I shot one and then the rounds wouldnt even chamber, but he gave me some Norinco 9mm ammo to shoot and my brother who was with me shooting said it was probably the ammo because we stripped it and cleaned it quick and used some oil on it. So really my question is it worth 250? or should I steer clear?
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Centre County)

Default Re: Interarms Astra A-70 pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwish View Post
    I've attached a few pics of a 9mm para pistol my friend wants to sell me for 250. He said he only shot one magazine through it and I shot one and then the rounds wouldnt even chamber, but he gave me some Norinco 9mm ammo to shoot and my brother who was with me shooting said it was probably the ammo because we stripped it and cleaned it quick and used some oil on it. So really my question is it worth 250? or should I steer clear?

The Norinco ammo shown in your picture is 9x18, 9mm para is 9x19. Maybe that's why it wouldn't chamber?

Not sure on the value of the pistol, but just looking at the pictures it seems you could get something in better condition and possibly more well known for the same money, and much better for just a little more?

(Luzerne County)

I had an Astra A-70 (don't know if it was an Interarms import though, mid 90's) and I sold it for a Beretta 92FS Inox. I don't regret buying the Inox but I do regret having to get rid of the A-70 to fund the purchase.

Good solid all metal heavy single stack 9MM pistol. Very 1911 like in trigger and safety, standard Browning type tilt barrel action. Because of the weight it purred like a kitten, very easy recoil. Because of the single action cocked and locked method of carry, I do not recommend it as a carry piece unless you know what you are doing. A great range toy though! I liked it much.

Whether or not it's worth $250 is another question. For $150, in good condition, I'd buy it. Even $200 if it's in good shape.

As project824 stated, shoot the right ammo

Oh, If you find that you want it and make the purchase, send me a private message, the local gun store has an A-70 magazine stashed in a box somewhere. Maybe I could get it nice and cheap for you.

P.S. one thing to consider. It isn't a very common pistol these days. Parts may be a problem if needed. Just sayin..

Oh man, I feel stupid now haha didnt know 9mm para was 9x19 thats probably why it fired a different 9mm round off without a problem. Thanks guys, Ill see if I can lower the price on it, if it fires the right round off correctly without jamming haha

(Allegheny County)

Looks to be in decent condition. $250 would be about right but I would try to get him down a little if possible. Astra makes some very good guns. I have the A-75 and its built like a tank and very accurate. If I remember correct, I paid $250 for it but it was also in like new condition.
    Just remember that Astra is out of business and has been for sometime so parts can be a problem. However, a little search on the Net and you can find them. I have.

Good luck

Yea, parts could suck but I'm used to having things that parts are hard to find with I love rare/uncommon things its a bad addiction. Apparently though when I fired that full mag through it a day ago that was the second mag that went through it ever, apparently it was a Spanish police officers and my friend got it at an auction, so its almost like new.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, I know the addiction very well. I have the same one. If I were you, even at $250 I'd snatch it up!