Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Nickel v. SS for carry?

For everyday carry, mostly OC some CC. How does nickel hold up compared to SS. A local shop has two 1911's I'm looking at, one is SS and one is Nickel, the employee says SS holds up much better over time, what say you?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Nickel v. SS for carry?

If you are talking about a full sized 1911, the real concern should be how you hold up first. A full sized 1911 weighs in a bit over 40 ounces, that is quite a bit of weight. I am going to take a wild guess and venture to say that you may not have many years of carry experience under your belt. The 40 ounce 1911 gets tiring very quickly.

As for corrosion resistance, I would get the stainless. Stainless can still corrode, and does. However, you could always send it off to Robar for some NP3 treatment. However, all machines need maintenance, and that goes for corrosion protection.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by HyDef View Post
    For everyday carry, mostly OC some CC. How does nickel hold up compared to SS. A local shop has two 1911's I'm looking at, one is SS and one is Nickel, the employee says SS holds up much better over time, what say you?

I am not a metallurgist, but as far I know nickel is a plating applied to metal, stainless steel is actually a kind of metal, meaning that nickel CAN wear off, or flake off, or get rust under it and flake off. It also depends on the quality of the nickel finish. Nickel on a $300 gun is going to be suspect, for sure. Stainless steel is a different story, since the entire piece, whether it be frame or slide or both is totally made of the same material, not a coating.

On a personal note nickel is a bit too blingy for me, and I prefer something more utilitarian, like a brushed or matte SS. But that's just me.

I'm sure someone will be along to offer you a more technical description of the differences between stainless and nickel. I really have no personal experience with long term wear on nickel, but I'm sure someone will.

What 1911s are you looking at?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Mercer County)

For carry purpose a stainless steel pistol or revolver with hold up better than nickel or carbon steel. I have found nickel with flake off/wear off & show wear & tear worse than stainless steel.

I had carried this stainless Model 60 in my right front pocket for 10 years and it doesn't look to bad as far as wear goes.

This Colt Delta Elite is has been my main carry firearm for over 20 years. It has the battle scars to prove it. But IMHO they only add character to the pistol

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by HyDef View Post
    SS will hold up better.

I am just glad I wont be the one lugging it around!!

(Northampton County)

A nickel alloy will certainly hold up better. But I don't think anybody makes small arms in those metals. I have no experience with nickel plated guns, but I've heard the stuff sometimes comes off and exposes the metal. Probably depends on the quality.

(Centre County)

Nickel will wear after while, exposing metal below it over time.
    Stainless will wear too, but to only to expose layer od stainless below it.

Stainless can, and will rust. But it's super easy to clean them up
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Stainless is not all the same. An old boater's trick is to see if a magnet will stick to it. If there is any "attraction" the SS is from a lesser grade. The better SS has a higher nickel content.
    From my own experiance with metal on boats and not guns I know that a top quaility SS is the best. When you clean it, it likes like a new coin. ( the rails on my whaler still look like new and they are from '92.) Having said that, I would prefer nickle over cheap SS as cheap stainless discolors and stains everything around it.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Whiskey View Post
    Stainless is not all the same. An old boater's trick is to see if a magnet will stick to it. If there is any "attraction" the SS is from a lesser grade. The better SS has a higher nickel content.
    From my own experiance with metal on boats and not guns I know that a top quaility SS is the best. When you clean it, it likes like a new coin. ( the rails on my whaler still look like new and they are from '92.) Having said that, I would prefer nickle over cheap SS as cheap stainless discolors and stains everything around it.
    Nickel is ferrous. I think you meant chromium. Which, correspondingly, is the principle additive to produce various stainless steels.

I prefer the stainless, just remember it is rust resistant not rust proof. I also think the nickel on a 1911 looks a bit gaudy for my taste, on the other hand I had a nickel plated saa that was sweet looking. Stainless will hold up better for cc use but it is heavy, get a good belt and holster it WILL help.

Cazio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast